$2.0M: so very close!

Big market for cRPGs -tiny market for potential backers.

I'd think they'd gladly pledge then :)

Perhaps more press coverage is needed in the European countries?

For what it's worth, I mentioned Obsidian in an essay involving crowd funding a couple of days ago.

I'm afraid to find out what grade it receives.

Something stirs within...

True. If the game is a success, everybody wins. But realise that since this is an english board, everybody posting here was likely already capable of playing/would enjoy playing the game in english. Sure, they might prefer the game in their native tongue, but there's nobody here who can suddenly play the game because it's been translated.

Most forum users and kickstarter backers are indeed english users, indeed. That precisely the aim of localization : to help the customer stretching beyond the initial backers / forum users. The translation is not about having backers to play the game : the very fact that they pledged already means they will.

PE, if it is to become a succesfull franchise, should aim beyond the 46K backers / customers. Hence the localization.

True, I should have been clearer. I just meant people on these forums are less likely to get excited. Anyway... onwards!

Isn't Germany a big market for cRPGs? I thought that Gothic games were wildly popular there.

(Could someone confirm or deny?).

Big market for cRPGs -tiny market for potential backers.

That really doesn't add up.

It is the case, however. Kickstarter simply isn't popular in Germany (yet ?). One point against it, for Germans, certainly is the need for a credit card which is just not that common in Germany...but even with paypal as option the additional pledge potential seems to be tiny. W2 had a paypal pledge option rather early on and at the end only something like 3% of the total pledges were done through paypal.

Edited by BSoda

It is the case, however. Kickstarter simply isn't popular in Germany (yet ?). One point against it, for Germans, certainly is the need for a credit card which is just not that common in Germany...but even with paypal as option the additional pledge potential seems to be tiny. W2 had a paypal pledge option rather early on and at the end only something like 3% of the total pledges were done through paypal.

Fair enough, I didn't know credit cards are less common in Germany.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

I wonder why Obsidian is taking so long with paypal! most kickstarters try to get that up asap :). I would surprised if Project Eternity does not reach $3m considering that it is already at nearly $2m with just under 3 weeks to go :) Also they have not introduced paypal yet, and kickstarters also always get a surge toward the end, so at least $3m is looking likely.

Twitter: @Chrono2012

I wonder why Obsidian is taking so long with paypal!

We will have a PayPal account set up on October 3rd. We want to make sure we have offered all the tiers and add-ons asked for by the Kickstarter community before offering Paypal, since modifying your pledge with Paypal is more difficult than with Kickstarter.]
  • Like 1

I wonder why Obsidian is taking so long with paypal!

We will have a PayPal account set up on October 3rd. We want to make sure we have offered all the tiers and add-ons asked for by the Kickstarter community before offering Paypal, since modifying your pledge with Paypal is more difficult than with Kickstarter.]

Ah, thanks :) I guess I just missed that for some reason!

I wonder why Obsidian is taking so long with paypal! most kickstarters try to get that up asap :). I would surprised if Project Eternity does not reach $3m considering that it is already at nearly $2m with just under 3 weeks to go :) Also they have not introduced paypal yet, and kickstarters also always get a surge toward the end, so at least $3m is looking likely.

I doubt it.

If current trends continue, there will end in +2.4mil

OMG we're less than $1000 from giving Project Eternity the only major thing it is still lacking......any second now history will be made.

Also the next stretch goals need to be posted up soon because not many care for the 2.2 mil language packs.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

I doubt it.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/

compare

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Wasteland was a bit lower than Eternity is at this point, while double fine was a bit higher, and they ended up at 2.9 and 3.3 so I think somewhere between those numbers is a fairly reasonable expectation.

Yeah, I can't see Project Eternity making less than Wasteland 2, considering how it has been progressing faster, although Wasteland 2 is going to be amazing ;) Also current trends are only linear, and take into account how much it is projected to earn based on the rates as they are at any given time. It does not take int account the usual surge at the end of a kickstarter, and it is not counting paypal donations.

I doubt it.

Until the next stretch goals blow everybody's minds that is........

1zq6793.jpg

While I do appreciate that kickstarter exists, I do think its handling (or lack of) for stretch goals could be improved. If you could put in an increase on your pledge conditional on achieving a stretch goal, I think they could get more money (like how your original pledge is conditional on the kickstarter reaching its goal or you get your money back).

While I do appreciate that kickstarter exists, I do think its handling (or lack of) for stretch goals could be improved. If you could put in an increase on your pledge conditional on achieving a stretch goal, I think they could get more money (like how your original pledge is conditional on the kickstarter reaching its goal or you get your money back).

I doubt we'll ever see that because it would be an enormous mess....once a project is funded the money start being spent on it so if it were to later fall apart it would be because they ran out of money and the project is still in a highly unfinished/unplayable state. So you see the dilemma? Can't give back money after they are gone. Unless they figure out an insurance system for kickstarters but I'm not sure we want to go there as the drawbacks are likely to be far worse than the lack of it.

1zq6793.jpg