The official E3 2012 thread

soundtrack for 4 was great, i meant the soundtrack for the new game will probably be poo

I know the soundtrack for 4 is good. :)

I meant I actually like the soundtrack of the mobile phone game. It's been out in Japan for some time.

oohh ok, lol, guess im pretty out of the loop :)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Another game, which made me little bit interested in open world games again

Sleeping Dogs. I am really interested how will this game play in the end...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zILmw0_PQY

Yep, we had a small discussion about i earlier. Labadal and I already pre-ordered it. :)

Edited by Oner

"i've completely given up on the hope of ever seeing a console rpg as good as the ones being made in the mid to late 90's"

DA, ME, FO:NV, and a host of other mdoern console RPGs are vastly superior to the vast majority if not all 'late 90s' console RPGs. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fallout new Vegas is amazing, and better than most 90's console RPGs. This fact is also completely irrelevant because it's a different genre thanks

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yep, we had a small discussion about i earlier. Labadal and I already pre-ordered it. :)

Still not decided wheter I should go for PC or PS3 version :p

Anyway, please as soon as you play it for a while, let me know how you feel about the game. I do not want to preorder, because I somehow got bored with every single open world game I played after GTA3 (if GTA3 can be even considered as open world game)...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

"This fact is also completely irrelevant because it's a different genre thanks "

No. No, it isn't. It is a console role -playing game. I should know. I own it for xbox 360 which, last I checked, is a console.

Case closed.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Still not decided wheter I should go for PC or PS3 version :p

Anyway, please as soon as you play it for a while, let me know how you feel about the game. I do not want to preorder, because I somehow got bored with every single open world game I played after GTA3 (if GTA3 can be even considered as open world game)...

Sure, just remind me when it comes out in August. :p

This article sums up what I was thinking as I was watching E3 amazingly well: http://www.gamasutra...Disillusion.php (saw the link on RPS)

It's just a wrong expectation. It cannot be only me who began to see AAA titles like Hollywood movies long time ago. Most of them tend to be just tools for money but I may like some modest ones. Also, the popularization of the net and mobile devices made the variety of game businesses possible, with Kickstarter being one of possible funding models (It still needs to be tested for video game-size investments). Now I'm paying more money on smaller business models while buying one or two year-old major titles on digital sales. In any case, if you are not happy with major titles, why not search the net?

That's nor really the point, I find the situation amusing more than anything else. I've long ago stopped expecting creativity from mainstream games, although once in a while there's still something decent. You have to admit though, it's a bit depressing to think how much has been lost. It's like a post I saw, game developers used to be gamers making games for other gamers they themselves wanted to play, and now it's all about corporate profits.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

That's nor really the point, I find the situation amusing more than anything else. I've long ago stopped expecting creativity from mainstream games, although once in a while there's still something decent. You have to admit though, it's a bit depressing to think how much has been lost. It's like a post I saw, game developers used to be gamers making games for other gamers they themselves wanted to play, and now it's all about corporate profits.

You'd think that devs would want to unionize at the very least to protect their IP creations. But at the very least I expect that the sharp drop in retail sales will point out to publishers that they are doing something wrong, although they will probably blame it on piracy or something.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That's nor really the point, I find the situation amusing more than anything else. I've long ago stopped expecting creativity from mainstream games, although once in a while there's still something decent.

Even as a satire, it's gotten old, too, and it's hardly amazing, IMHO. I've seen similar things happening to movies, music and even PnP RPGs and now I know where to look. I guess it's one of survival skills to live in the contemporary consumerist world.

You have to admit though, it's a bit depressing to think how much has been lost. It's like a post I saw, game developers used to be gamers making games for other gamers they themselves wanted to play, and now it's all about corporate profits.

That's why I think you should look somewhere else. Some indie games are quite popular and they tend to be creative. At the same time, there are even revivals. For example, should I admit that I am depressed when seeing King of Dragon Pass in one of the most popular apps in Apple Store? It's just such developers also should look somewhere else. Even Obsidian allow Avellone to do his part time job for inExile. Such flexibility is one of the possible strengths of not-so-big companies. I wonder how it goes well but some people are attempting.

Another aspect of E3 is a technology presentation. Some of these technologies could be used to built around ideas of successful ideas of indie games. In fact, Hitman: Absolution has this sniper challenge mini-game, which has gotten popular on the net. Not sure if it is what I wanted to see but the mixture of technology and the idea could bear fruit in the future. Some people began to see indie game scenes as a virtual "silicon valley" built on the net, which can be a bubble but, at least, it's quite reasonable in a way. At least, hopefully, some formats will remain.

And Warren Spector agrees - http://www.gamesindu...nce-has-to-stop

I left Eidos in 2004 because I looked around at E3 and saw the new Hitman game where you get to kill with a meat hook, and 25 to Life, the game about kids killing cops, and Crash & Burn the racing game where the idea is to create the fieriest, most amazing explosions, not to win the race... I looked around my own booth and realized I just had one of those 'which thing is not like the other' moments. I thought it was bad then, and now I think it's just beyond bad.

We've gone too far. The slow-motion blood spurts, the impalement by deadly assassins, the knives, shoulders, elbows to the throat. You know, Deus Ex had its moments of violence, but they were designed - whether they succeeded or not I can't say - but they were designed to make you uncomfortable, and I don't see that happening now. I think we're just appealing to an adolescent mindset and calling it mature. It's time to stop. I'm just glad I work for a company like Disney, where not only is that not something that's encouraged, you can't even do it, and I'm fine with it.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree. I have argued on this board before about this issue. Why are there no RPG's where I don't have to kill people in order to gain experience and level up? Why is it not possible to implement some other gameplay feature for character progression? I've thought about sports and racing.. and I know at least racing is doable (Road Trip: A Road Adventure proved this to me). But why isn't anyone doing it?

I would even play a fishing RPG/adventure..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not gonna happen with the RPG genre.

If people wanna play violent-free games, there's always chess and old-skool adventures. Me personally I don't mind violence, but I agree with Warren that the perversion of pushing violence through PR etc. is going too far (latest Hitman and nuns trailer for exemple, or Tomb Raper). This whole obession only shows one thing: Publishers are obsessed and desperate to sell more of their shallow games by trying to emulate good ol' Hollywood. Pathetic, but that's the sad world of entertainment we live in today. I know I won't vote with my wallet for such crap, and that's about the only thing I can do as a consumer.

Bring back good games with good stories and gameplay, with violence as the necessary means to achieve greater goals, not making violence the selling point itself.

Edited by Morgoth

It's not the publishers to blame. It's the market. Kids love violence, and always have. But so do I. I don't think violence is the problem, it's bad games.