RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

So Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Rhapsody a Musical Adventure, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodoss, Shining Force 1, Shining Force II, Shining Force CD, Fire Emblem, Brigandine, et al are not JRPGs?

Given that most of the early JRPGs mirrored games like Wizardry or Phantasie or other western RPGs do JRPGs really exist?

:aiee::shrugz:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was bored to tears by Shin Megami Tensei games and ended up quitting each and every one of them. JRPG's are such a dated gameplay design its a wonder japan hasn't become bored of them. In western RPGs things at least shift around, even if its not always for the better.

Weird; while they share a lot of similarities in themes and demons, I've tended to enjoy their stories personally (I particularly liked the Supernatural Detective stuff in the Raidou Kuzunoha series or the High School sim aspect of Persona 3 or Persona 4)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Rhapsody a Musical Adventure, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodoss, Shining Force 1, Shining Force II, Shining Force CD, Fire Emblem, Brigandine, et al are not JRPGs?

They're JRPGs. Valkyria Chronicles is nothing like them, though. Dawn of War 2 has more RPG elements in multiplayer.

The only customization VC has is what gun you equip them with and what upgrades you've researched.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They're JRPGs. Valkyria Chronicles is nothing like them, though. Dawn of War 2 has more RPG elements in multiplayer.

The only customization VC has is what gun you equip them with and what upgrades you've researched.

Hmmm, my memory of Valkria Chronicle was that there was more elements to the game than just the gun like a skill or class type or something but...I didn't like the game and played it only briefly some time ago so I'll chalk it up to being old and forgetful... :sweat:

The only other thing are character traits ( which the receive when they reach certain levels or gain with combat experience ) and tank upgrades. I think VC is a great game and i hate SEFA for not making more of Ps3. :/

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Atelier Series is interesting on PS3 as well, but the problem is the game is about lolis and all the game are is based around this, so if hate that staff, you will probably not like the game as well :) Or just pretend the characters are 5 years older :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Stupid question... It's DRM bitching of course :p

/just kidding

But the main reason is that I value this forums as the best source of recommendations for good RPG games, with the exception of people with no taste in games like Volo and some FPS lovers :p

Almost no elitism here and very nice bunch of people with similar taste in WRPGs, like I have. Shame there is not many JRPG lovers here as well, it is even harder to find good JRPG localized in English or German or Russian, than to find decent WRPG... Anyway, any lame JRPG still offered me better entertainment than any FPS I played after Unreal Tournament classic and Quake 3 Arena...

Are you serious?!

I do admit, I fall into the FPS persons though...so you might not like my flavor of games. Many do not like my flavor in RPGs, I'm "too mainstream" from what I hear.

With JRPG's though...I have a list. I ALSO include strategy JRPG's in the list.

IF, you are not a graphics whore...then the following are what I'd suggest.

Available on the PS1

Chrono Cross (first one I'd suggest)

Lunar: Silver Star Complete

Lunar: Eternal Blue

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

The above, though not great with graphics are what I'd consider the BEST of JRPGs ever...in my opinion. You can get FF IV and Chrono Trigger together in one collection.

The PS1 was probably one of the best RPG systems out there. Others for it that are good...

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy V

YOu can get the above in one collection

Vanguard Bandits

Vagrant Story

Xenogears (considered one of the greatest RPGs by some)

Star Ocean: Second Story

Grandia (one of MY favorites)

Suikoden

Suikoden II (also considered one of the best games ever)

Legend of Dragoon

Threads of Fate

Wild Arms I and II

Brigandine

Arc the Lad collection

Final Fantasy Tactics

And don't forget what some consider the Seminal RPG for the orignal Playstation. I credit this single game for the success of the Playstation...it's this game that made it break out of the pack and is considered the holy grail of RPGs to this day...by some...NOT I.

Final Fantasy VII

Toss onto that

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

And you are set with hundreds if not thousands of hours of Roleplaying.

The best news...even if you get these today they should play on a Playstation 3.

However the graphics DO NOT HOLD UP if you are all about the graphics.

For a LOT of RPG goodness in ONE CHEAP game...CREATED SPECIFICALLY TO PLAY ON THE PLAYSTATION 3

Get the

Sonic Sega Collection.

On it you will get

Phantasy Star I, II, III, IV (IV was my FAVORITE RPG ever...until I played the Lunar series).

Shining Force I and II

Shining in the Darkness

That's a LOT of JRPG's for a cheap little price now.

Unfortunately, not many modern RPGs have come out for the current systems.

For the Xbox 360 you can try...

Blue Dragon

Lost Odyssey

Tales of Vesperia

Eternal Sonata

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

The Last Remnant

Resonance of Fate

You might give

Enchanted Arms

A shot as well

Truthfully, in my opinion, currently the Xbox 360 holds the reins of GOOD (stress the words Good...PS3 actually has MORE JRPGs...but many of them stink) JRPGs for the West this generation (Japan actually has a TON of RPGs that never make it out west).

For the PS3 some decent ones would be

Resonance of Fate

Eternal Sonata

White Knight Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles

also

Enchanted Arms

One that has decent graphics in relation to what normal RPG's offer, but is different...and is WHAT i'D CONSIDER the most current game like a Fallout...at least in that type of post apocalyptal environment...would be

Nier

Crass language (maybe more than FO now that I think about one character), unforgiving, and brutal dying world all there.

The following can be decent if you DON'T MIND the wierd Japanese type stereotypes...

Agarest series

Cross Edge

Disgaea series

Hope you got that entire stuff there. As you can tell for JRPG's my main system is the PS3. I also play my PS1 games on the PS3.

They are the ONLY reason my PS3 does better with RPGs then the Xbox 360.

For the question on what would be the equivalent...

BG series = Final Fantasy VII, or VI, VII, VIII (much as I love IX, I think VIII which I don't love had more acclaim).

Fallout = Nier

Planescape = Xenogears/Xenosaga (PS2 game...so harder to play if you don't have a PS2 or specific type of PS3).

That should give you a small start on the JRPG scene.

Edited by greylord

And here's some more if the Wii is your system of choice.

Baten Kaitos (Wii is backwards compatible with Gamecube games...this is a gamecube game)

Arc Rise Fantasia

Tales of Graces

Tales of Symphonia

Phantom Brave

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Also one other note...for the last generation the best JRPG consoles have actually been the handhelds.

Nintendo DS stands out among the others...

Final Fantasy III was outstanding on it

Nostalgia

Radiant Histories

Suikoden

Golden Sun

Etrian Odyssey series

All on the DS...all awesome....

Xenogears... a game that is best known for giving Tale his avatar...

And crucifying giant robots and a pink furry creature

15-XENOGEARS.jpg

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

2 greylord.

The biggest problem is that many of the amazing JRPGs which were localized in english for PS1 and PS2 were not released in PAL territories, I am EU :(

And yes unfortunately I was serious about getting bored with every single FPS game I played after UTC and Q3, and I have finished lot of them, atm I have just stopped to bother even borrow them from my friends not even to pay for them :(

I do not care about graphics that's why I still prefer game of UTC over any other newly released FPS...

And big thanks for the list, I will try to get hand at some of them.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

2 greylord.

The biggest problem is that many of the amazing JRPGs which were localized in english for PS1 and PS2 were not released in PAL territories, I am EU :(

And yes unfortunately I was serious about getting bored with every single FPS game I played after UTC and Q3, and I have finished lot of them, atm I have just stopped to bother even borrow them from my friends not even to pay for them :(

I do not care about graphics that's why I still prefer game of UTC over any other newly released FPS...

And big thanks for the list, I will try to get hand at some of them.

I play them from both NA and EU (well, actually the UK to be specific)...I could play them from Japan as well I suppose...but I don't actually read Kanji so that wouldn't help me that much. I'll have to check, but I think the PS3 doesn't care whether it's PAL or NTSC when you put in the disk.

For starters, it looks a lot better than that overrated garbage that was made by Remedy a decade ago.

How was it overrated ? The killcams will be cool up to the 4th time, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not really, it not being cool doesn't necessarily mean I found tedious or detrimental. The technology in MP3 looks neat though, the body movement especially.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Have you played the game already ?

Interesting conclusion from such evidence, but carry on. They've been consulting with Remedy on story bits, if I recall, so might not be too divergent from the earlier games. Well, Bruce Willis on Fire, aside.

"Consulting with Original developer X" is just nice PR so that the fans don't completely lose it and cause havok.

I doubt Remedy could provide a full time writer to help on MP3. "Consulting" is just sitting down and talk 5% about the game, 95% drining beer and make jokes about "fans".

Edited by Morgoth

Well naturally for the first part, but I can be optimistic about the second being more involved or productive.

Edited by Malcador