GameCreatorsVault Chris Avellone interview

C2B

Listening to the interview I'm intrigued by how quests are actually designed. I can't help feeling that there shoudl be some sort of nested design aid to help guide writers, or perhaps enable writers to be supported by a team of materials goons. So, make sure you get plenty of situation awareness into the dialogue. BUt also perhaps improve creativity about how the PC can solve a puzzle or deliver what the subject wants.

Not sure where I'm going with this.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Listening to the interview I'm intrigued by how quests are actually designed. I can't help feeling that there shoudl be some sort of nested design aid to help guide writers, or perhaps enable writers to be supported by a team of materials goons. So, make sure you get plenty of situation awareness into the dialogue. BUt also perhaps improve creativity about how the PC can solve a puzzle or deliver what the subject wants.

Not sure where I'm going with this.

or maybe they should just have a world before they make the world. its too late to iterate if you don't have enough passages for all the quests. too late to iterate if you leave no room for battle areas, or addition towns. for accuracy you can't always leave room. on paper it has to make sense. then try harder. even stories can be mapped out. its like relations between fruit loops. you can also go deeper with each redraw or simply break into the next level of depth.

i love world design. world of level design is a nice site as well. maps aren't just decided settings, it takes so much more to prep the users for awesome adventures. whether it be pure adventure/rts/diablo/fallout and fallout 3. it is the most fun part of it. don't bog yourself down with notions of being correct. that comes later yo. iterate that iter when it comes time. bidirectional has its place.

redacted

I see.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a hungarian article about Avellone here

http://ipon.hu/elemzesek/a_jatekvilag_nagy...a_meselo/1090/1

Pssst!... Oner, you are needed.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Is it me or is there something missing in that part :

Looking through your game credits, most of the games you have worked on are RPGs. What unique challenges does working on RPGs present? Are you naturally drawn to the RPG genre? Are you interested in working on games of other genres, such as FPSes?

Does being cofounder, co-owner, and CCO at Obsidian affect how you think and work as a designer? How is it different, if at all, from just being a designer? Please explain.

You

Section has now been added

Looking through your game credits, most of the games you have worked on are RPGs. What unique challenges does working on RPGs present? Are you naturally drawn to the RPG genre? Are you interested in working on games of other genres, such as FPSes?

I

• 2 weeks later...

A bit too much silliness at first I think but some great questions in the middle or so, including a question about the whole Double Fine/Kickstarter thing. Chris says that if he got to make the game he wanted to make, it'd be an old-school isometric, text-heavy game ala PS:T. So there was much rejoicing I suppose. :) Some pretty good questions about New Vegas also.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0