Diablo 3 Discussion

it took about 5 months from the release of the starcraft 2 beta until the release of the game.

so if the diablo 3 beta comes out soon, then we'll be looking at a january-march release date?

of course, this game might have a shorter/easier beta, since it doesnt need competitive balancing, and bnet 2.0 already is working (cause thats what starcraft 2 is on right?)

still, my money is on late january-late march.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well its been a bizzare evening here. I caved in and soul my soul to Blizzard, or would have if they let me.

I was going to buy SCII and throw myself to the dogs of online competitive gameplay! Only it turns out all our local shops ran out of it two weeks ago and no one knows when new ones will arrive, and why they haven't come already in the first place.

I could buy from Blizzard but they still have the 60euro price on the website and its dropped to 50 here.

That's when it gets even worse - as a last resort I checked out one bookstore I knew to hold a handful of games. They have one copy left.

At the old price of 60.

Thankfully its all the same distributor, the one that has lowered the price to 50 so I'm having them check if the price should be lower (which it should as they set the price here). I'll know by tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well its been a bizzare evening here. I caved in and soul my soul to Blizzard, or would have if they let me.

I was going to buy SCII and throw myself to the dogs of online competitive gameplay! Only it turns out all our local shops ran out of it two weeks ago and no one knows when new ones will arrive, and why they haven't come already in the first place.

I could buy from Blizzard but they still have the 60euro price on the website and its dropped to 50 here.

That's when it gets even worse - as a last resort I checked out one bookstore I knew to hold a handful of games. They have one copy left.

At the old price of 60.

Thankfully its all the same distributor, the one that has lowered the price to 50 so I'm having them check if the price should be lower (which it should as they set the price here). I'll know by tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

You know you can also get the starter for free now which lets you play Multiplayer and the first part of single player, as well as four skirmish maps if that's your thing.

You know you can also get the starter for free now which lets you play Multiplayer and the first part of single player, as well as four skirmish maps if that's your thing.

Starter Edition players are also unable to use versus and co-op matchmaking, most custom maps, chat channels, and the party system.

Starter Edition players are restricted to Terran-only for custom games.

Doesn't work for me...

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

You can still search for random players for the custom games, and there's a few standard ladder maps available. Unless you have Terran-allergy, there's not much reason to not try it.

I have in fact played SCII during the beta as all three races, and completed the campaign at a friends house. I was hoping to play the ladders as Zerg in which case I have little choice but to buy the damn game. :verymad:

Hey peeps, what do you think price tag for the expansions will be like?

Well, Blizzard said that it wouldn't be full price so it'll be below $60, but it'll have a full campaign and more content compared to most Blizzard expansions, so I figure it's still going to have a pretty big price tag. I'm guessing somewhere between $40 - $50.

So about a hundred to a hundred and thirty euros for the whole package. Jesus what a rip off, if you just want to get the two or three new units and stay competitive.

Blizzard is supposedly going to keep different ladders for the 1st expansion and the base game. Even if you have the expansion, you're supposed to be able to play the base game ladder.

That might change in the future, but we'll see.

What I hope and think they should do is make a reasonably priced dlc that includes the new units and additions without the Zerg campaign, so that the rest of us can still stay competitive. Of course, they're not going to do it.

And I hope they fix the Zerg which are currently the worst race.

Starter Edition players are also unable to use versus and co-op matchmaking, most custom maps, chat channels, and the party system.

Starter Edition players are restricted to Terran-only for custom games.

Doesn't work for me...

AFAIK you can still buy trail keys.

For 1$ or so you should get a 7 hour run at full-feature multiplayer.

And I hope they fix the Zerg which are currently the worst race.

You'll make a great competitive player.

A sure sign of the such is when they call their race the weakest before they even start gaming on the ladder. :p

You'll make a great competitive player.

A sure sign of the such is when they call their race the weakest before they even start gaming on the ladder. :p

Well those are opinions of pro gamers. After watching quite a few streamed games on teamliquid, I can see why. The Zerg currently have less efficient units than the other races, and fewer viable strategies. The others are not unbeatable by any stretch but you have to play much better for the same effect.

Blizzard has acknowledged something of the sort recently, motivated by a lot of complaints among top tier players (NesTea, IdrA).

Well ****. They're keeping the old price. No SCII for me, for now.

Yeah, the Zerg are just not very versatile compared to the other races. You can't really make that many strategic plays because of it and it becomes extremely defensive and reactionary, which is just not what the Zerg are supposed to be about.

Very well put, I see many players playing a defensive game, waiting to see what build their opponent is doing so they can breakneck to counter units. Or massing roaches, the only cost effective Zerg unit and hoping for the brute force approach to work. Its actually pretty miserable to watch a 4 base Zerg get raped by a 2 base Protoss, of equal skill. Not being able to compensate even with such a huge eco advantage is atrocious.

Good news, I found a web store that I ordered a joystick from some time ago. Apparently they still have copies of SCII. Should be arriving in 3 days.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

You guys are so behind the times. It's Zerg being overpowered everyone is complaining about these days.

Funny thing, stats seem to indicate balance more than anything.

p7m8x.png

You guys are so behind the times. It's Zerg being overpowered everyone is complaining about these days.

Funny thing, stats seem to indicate balance more than anything.

p7m8x.png

All I see is Terran! It's interesting how they're regularly higher. But it's not a giant gap.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I study statistics. If it doesn't have p values calculated, you might as well show a blank page.

EDIT: Anyhow, according to Blizzard, the races have been balanced for some while; they're just looking at individual units and some match-ups these days. And maps, of course, which they suck at if the internet is to be believed.

Edited by MrBrown

maybe the problem with zerg is that they don't play in the style that many players wish they did.

but i just don't know anything about competitive starcraft, i find it somewhat boring, i'd much rather replay the campaign...

i know im probably alone in this. i also vastly prefer half life to counterstrike. counterstrike is fun for an hour or two, i got probably 30 hours or more out of playing and replaying half life.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

They indeed don't, or at least they aren't really played as a horde of any sort. Also I believe individual units aren't as fast as they used to be, or at least the opposition is faster than it was. You do get a movement bonus on creep but by the time you creep tumor your way to the other end of the map the game is mostly over.

I have seen players use overlords to get a strip of creep but not all that often.

Counterstrike's learning curve is a sheer cliff on most servers. It'll put anybody off.

back in the day when i tried it, i found counterstrike hard, but not crushingly so, i was not usually the worst player on the server, though certainly never the best.

multiplayer competitive shooters just aren't my cup of tea. except maybe battlefield 2, that game was really fun.