A great European has passed away

Morgoth

Touchy. The military service bit was amusing. :)

Charles reached the position of commanding a naval vessel that took part in a lot of anti-drug operations. Andrew was flying helicopters during the Falklands war, and the more recent issue, Harry was out in the sandbox, and is due to be headed back soon. William is involved in a lot of search and rescue. So you class none of that as military service?

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh attended over 900 events last year. How many people of their age do you know who keep working with that sort of schedule? And that they'll pretty much be doing that till they die. Look at how busy the Queen Mother was right up until the end.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Touchy. The military service bit was amusing. :)

Charles reached the position of commanding a naval vessel that took part in a lot of anti-drug operations. Andrew was flying helicopters during the Falklands war, and the more recent issue, Harry was out in the sandbox, and is due to be headed back soon. William is involved in a lot of search and rescue. So you class none of that as military service?

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh attended over 900 events last year. How many people of their age do you know who keep working with that sort of schedule? And that they'll pretty much be doing that till they die. Look at how busy the Queen Mother was right up until the end.

I know about the ones who have served in conflicts, mainly was thinking of Andrew and Harry, the latter was probably more in harm's way than the rest and even then I'm suspicious as to how much they were in (it's good PR to be seen doing it, after all). Perhaps I'm a bit cynical about that.

But the royalty does seem to get some respect, either that or significant portions of Canada are imbeciles right now - one example : Driving 12 hours to hope your daughter meets William =)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why naive? He had nothing to lose at this point, so why should he lie? It's not like some election was coming up for him...

Geez, some people....

But it's okay. At least Otto did some important things in his life, unlike the British royality, who only does waving hands...

OK, I tried to be nice. But you're deliberately taking the piss now.

If you want to fantasise that bomber crews would have gone to attack Austria on trips that were hundreds of fighter-infested miles longer than trips to Germany because some old dude claims he made it that way, or because Britain didn't really dislike Austrians, then you're mental. End of. It's science and military logic. Not an interview for a ****ing newspaper. Grow the **** up.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now you're just rude, Wals.

Let's just be dignified and agree that neither you knew which (or why) such decisions very taken, nor do I exactly, because we both weren't there.

Since this thread is now about glorifiying the British royality and superiority bla bla etc, and not about humble Otto von Habsburg, we can just close it down.

I know about the ones who have served in conflicts, mainly was thinking of Andrew and Harry, the latter was probably more in harm's way than the rest and even then I'm suspicious as to how much they were in (it's good PR to be seen doing it, after all). Perhaps I'm a bit cynical about that.

Well the thing there is that it was actually being kept quiet. They'd managed to get Harry out there and he'd been working on the ground for a bit without anyone realising. The British press were asked to keep quiet about it, which they did. It was thought that if it became known, it would paint a big-ass target on the prince and his unit.

It was only when the American press figured it out and started reporting on it that everyone had to write about it.

Canadian politicians sent to London to discuss the patriation of the Canadian constitution found the Queen "better informed on ... Canada's constitutional case than any of the British politicians or bureaucrats".She was interested in the constitutional debate after the failure of Bill C-60, which would have affected her role as head of state. Patriation removed the role of the British parliament in the Canadian constitution, but the monarchy was retained. Trudeau said in his memoirs: "The Queen favoured my attempt to reform the Constitution. I was always impressed not only by the grace she displayed in public at all times, but by the wisdom she showed in private conversation."

Of course, I always liked that she sued The Sun for breach of copyright, then when she won, had them donate the money to charity. :)

I think people forget that the Royal Family is a lot like the iceberg metaphor. What you see isn't all that there is, or what they're actually doing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So that's one of them doing proper service then. Would have been funny to see the Queen say no to or otherwise shoot down the Canadians though, given the country involved I doubt anyone would care. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's a little naive, isn't it? You're asking why a man would claim t ohave been the author of his nation not getting blown ass-backward into the stone age? Maybe because it makes him sound clever...

PS: You can actually read that up in some English literature and memoirs. He was in the White House during the last months of the war, so yes, I think he saved a lot of unnecessary civilan deaths.

After all, why bombing Munich but not the nearby Salzburg? Because of some "flight routes"?

But you're ignorant because you're probably just "educated" through The Sun and the BBC.

"Some old dude" my ass.

Edited by Morgoth

That's a little naive, isn't it? You're asking why a man would claim t ohave been the author of his nation not getting blown ass-backward into the stone age? Maybe because it makes him sound clever...

But you're ignorant because you're probably just "educated" through The Sun and the BBC.

"Some old dude" my ass.

Sure. Like. Whatever. :lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...
The Habsburger family is still around? I never knew that :brows:

What did you think happened to them? :p

The Habsburgs spent 600 years trying to unite Europe through lovemaking rather than war, that has to count for something :)

The German Habsburgs were ok, but the Spanish Habsburgs' reign of terror will never be forgotten.

Parker and Kamen would be a good place to start reading.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Let's not forget the prime example and champion of democracy - the US- which is basically a two-headed one-party system.

Or those bloody and oppressive Monarchies we have in Europe, like Sweden, Spain and Netherlands.

Geez Gorgon, just shut your trap. If you can't even distinguish states form from government form then you're beyond help.

Edited by Morgoth

So what was the big deal about this guy again ? Cool though, burying his heart in a different place.

So what was the big deal about this guy again ? Cool though, burying his heart in a different place.

Well he's probably not a big deal outside Europe, but he was a driving force behind the realization of the EU, for instance. He also helped some 10000 Austrian (Jews) help escaping into the US. He also organized some "picnic" at the Hungarian-Austrian border in 1989 that helped escaping some 700 eastern germans into the West, which marked the beginning of the dissolution of the SU.

Don't like the Habsburgs one bit, I'd slay them all.

Eh, the Reaper will do it for you in the end. Then Morgoth can get his panties in a twist at him :p

Edited by Malcador

Don't like the Habsburgs one bit, I'd slay them all.

Murder a family because of what they represent some of the time and to some people.

Yeah, that's a great basis for running a civilised society. You're not a chum of Sulla, are you?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Wanting to slay people still an aspiration in the Balkan countries?

God forbid your people will vote for EU entry.

It's a personal aspiration for the family, the precious Habsburgs, that killed, robbed and impoverished my people by the thousands and thousands for hundreds of years. Very noble indeed, but hey those were the dark times so it's ok. And you can stuck your EU up your ass as well as your generalization of an entire region.

Edited by Hildegard

Wanting to slay people still an aspiration in the Balkan countries?

God forbid your people will vote for EU entry.

It's a personal aspiration for the family, the precious Habsburgs, that killed, robbed and impoverished my people by the thousands and thousands for hundreds of years. Very noble indeed, but hey those were the dark times so it's ok. And you can stuck your EU up your ass.

If it wasn't for the Habburg your ****hole country would still be tied to Bulgaria or Turkey.