Is there a mouse-over information box?

Is there supposed to be a little window that shows you what you're mouseing over? Something along the lines of "Lacanzi Mercenary: 30/40HP" in a box at the top center of the screen? It's possible I'm just having trouble with the fixed 16:9 aspect ratio cutting off the top of the screen, the mouse does seem to disappear up there.

Edited by Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

Is there supposed to be a little window that shows you what you're mouseing over? Something along the lines of "Lacanzi Mercenary: 30/40HP" in a box at the top center of the screen?

I don't think so, at least not when in combat. We could use one for the description of the statistics though.

Actually, I was wondering about those too. What in the world is Warding? Or Doom? Things like armor, block and attack are self explanatory, but I've never seen some of these new stats before.

Actually, I was wondering about those too. What in the world is Warding? Or Doom? Things like armor, block and attack are self explanatory, but I've never seen some of these new stats before.

From my experience with the mouse controls, clicking stuff doesnt effect anything in the game world, hovering over items doesn't display its properties. The mouse doesn't do much really.

Click Escape and Help, there is a description of each characteristic, including the various Chaos effects. And I'm not sure that block is as telling as you think, given the block system :rolleyes: .

Edited by Sannom

Heh, no it isn't what I asked, but it is kind of why I asked it. ;) If the Devs could add mouse over tooltips, people wouldn't have to ask around about these stats.

Mouse over information would also help during combat, since you can't really tell which enemy is which or what condition they are in. Personally, I like to kill the weakest type or most damaged enemy first. With a mouse over window I could tell the Lascanzi's(spelling?) rangers apart from their sword wielding mercenaries and target the weaker gun fighters first. Similarly, when trying to decide which armored up sword wielder to kill, you would know to put one last blow into the most wounded guy. Instead I'm probably picking a full-health guy to beat on while some schmuck with ten hitpoints gets a free pass to stab at me unchallenged.

The colour of the circle thing beneath each enemy tells you how damaged they are. This is explained in the in-game tutorial.

Are you saying you'd like to see their exact hit points? How useful is that in a game as fast paced as DS3, though? You're hitting things 3 times a second with damage numbers flying left and right like confetti. Knowing he has 15 hp or 36 hp isn't going to matter in a real time ARPG like it does in a TB game - all you need to know is green (full), mango (medium), red (one or two hits and he's dead).

Maybe people end up playing it at a slower pace on lower difficulties? Interesting.

Yes, I know about the circle. It isn't very informative though. "We've got 'em now, boys! He's gone from lime green to mango!" :bat:

Health bars are a bit more informative imo, though I guess once you've fought the same enemy a few times, with the exact same gear/skills you'd know how many hits they have left before they drop from mango to red for example. I guess its a bit harder if gear/ level changes a lot. Though I wasn't sure wear to look in the new DS3 ui where enemy weakness/ powers/ level and whatnot were. You know, if a monsters lighting enchanted or whatever. Screen shot from DS2 for example, you can see the enemies weaknesses at the top of the screen. 932331_20060803_screen003.jpg

The biggest issue I could see with this is the health bar would constantly be changing, since you're fighting so many enemies. We do have the health bar for mini-bosses and bosses, so you know how much life they have.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Are you saying you'd like to see their exact hit points? How useful is that in a game as fast paced as DS3, though? You're hitting things 3 times a second with damage numbers flying left and right like confetti. Knowing he has 15 hp or 36 hp isn't going to matter in a real time ARPG like it does in a TB game - all you need to know is green (full), mango (medium), red (one or two hits and he's dead).

Maybe people end up playing it at a slower pace on lower difficulties? Interesting.

Jab aside, it does sounds silly when you say it like that. But yes, more information is pretty much what I'm looking for. The health bar, like they're touching on later in the thread here, is especially helpful. For example, when fighting that toothy fish-thing mini-boss in the fishing side quest, I could see how much damage each swing was doing. After poking at it for a while with the sword and shield it was apparent that not enough damage was getting through and I'd be dead soon if I didn't switch to the two hander. Shortly after changing weapons, it became apparent that my health bar was still dropping faster then his and fired off the graceful repose ability to heal up. Very useful! :bat: Extra information is also helpful when you break off an attack and rejoin. Which guy is the one you already wore down? Just do a quick mouse over on the way in!

Maybe Mr. nelson can chime in a bit on the monster enhancements/weaknesses/resistances thing that subliminal brought up. Do monsters have these effects? How are they displayed with this UI?

On a side note, I love how yellow has now become mango. :( I just thought it sounded funnier then "yellow" in that joke a few posts up. Can we call red something too? How about watermelon? :sweat:

Sorry, I was being genuine though. :rolleyes: Perhaps they could have had one of those RTS-style mini floating health bars you can toggle on and off. Even if most of the time it'll be a huge mess. Another option might have been to have a Bestiary in the journal where you can go to see information about enemy health, resistance, etc.