XBOX360 Demo Impressions

It doesn't matter, because it wasn't part of the discussion (what is and isn't a RPG)...you only brought that in because you didn't understand what I was talking about (or simply like to argue irrelevant points).

The reality is DS III is less complex than DS I & II anyways...so even if we did want to have that discussion it would be pointless for you. DSIII comparatively is linear, less open ended in it's mechanics, has shallow leveling system...basically been consolised. The one aspect DSIII seems to have more depth is story/dialog but even then I am not sure how much it actually adds to the game. From my demo experience it's certainly not hard core RPG quality (like fallout or something). Dungeon Siege wasn't really about this stuff anyways so for me personally this isn't a good improvement (I played DS for the leveling, loot, open-ish multiplayer, ect).

Edited by Renevent

It doesn't matter, because it wasn't part of the discussion (what is and isn't a RPG).

The reality is DS III is less complex than DS I & II anyways...so even if we did want to have that discussion it would be pointless for you. DSIII comparatively is linear, less open ended in it's mechanics, has shallow leveling system...basically been consolised. The one aspect DSIII seems to have more depth is story/dialog but even then I am not sure how much it actually adds to the game. From my demo experience it's certainly not hard core RPG quality (like fallout or something). Dungeon Siege wasn't really about this stuff anyways so for me personally this isn't a good improvement (I played DS for the leveling, loot, open-ish multiplayer, ect).

No, disagree completly. DS as mentioned had no depth. Depth does NOT equate to a large amount of things to put points in or a large amount of abilites. Its how complex something is actually handled and executed that gives it depth.

Edited by C2B

The reality is DS III is less complex than DS I & II anyways...

here we go again -_-

a person that played through one game a million times, and only saw 1% of the other, keeps saying that other is POSITIVELY less complex? what are you, captain Obvious? of course a demo version of a console game is less complex than a PC monstrosity with almost nothing original left in it because of mods

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It doesn't matter, because it wasn't part of the discussion (what is and isn't a RPG).

No, disagree completly. DS as mentioned had no depth. Depth does NOT equate to a large amount of things to put points in or a large amount of abilites. Its how complex something is actually handled and executed that gives it depth.

Just saying something doesn't make it true. You see, I listed the things in the originals that made it more complex and open ended. It's quantifiable dude. I don't believe you really played the originals.

Edited by Renevent

I think roguelikes are rpg's. I also think rpg has many sub-genre within its own ranks. I never win the 'what makes an rpg argument' even though i've been playing them since before they were on computers. People don't want to agree on what an rpg is for some reason.

The reality is DS III is less complex than DS I & II anyways...

here we go again -_-

a person that played through one game a million times, and only saw 1% of the other, keeps saying that other is POSITIVELY less complex? what are you, captain Obvious? of course a demo version of a console game is less complex than a PC monstrosity with almost nothing original left in it because of mods

Tell me, what is going to change in the full game? Is the leveling screen(s) just placeholders? Are you privy to some information everyone else is not?

Is the leveling screen(s) just placeholders?

so, once again, DS is a better RPG than DS3 because its leveling screen is prettier? and I have problems understanding what others say? you seem to not be able to understand your own words -_-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Is the leveling screen(s) just placeholders?

so, once again, DS is a better RPG than DS3 because its leveling screen is prettier? and I have problems understanding what others say? you seem to not be able to understand your own words -_-

I said nothing about the screen being prettier nor was that the basis of my complaint.

so maybe you should start expressing your thoughts in a more clear way. because saying that a demo version's leveling system is weak, and bringing up character screen as example of that doesn't say much.

Walsingham said:

so maybe you should start expressing your thoughts in a more clear way. because saying that a demo version's leveling system is weak, and bringing up character screen as example of that doesn't say much.

Boy you are dense as they come.

First of all, I have voiced my complaints in great detail...try going back and actually reading my posts for a change.

Now, to the skill screen comment, my referencing the screen wasn't to point out how pretty it was, but to show that we already can see the entire skill system and that it's not going to change magically to something else when the game releases.

I thought that was pretty obvious... :)

Edited by Renevent

Just saying something doesn't make it true. You see, I listed the things in the originals that made it more complex and open ended. It's quantifiable dude. I don't believe you really played the originals.

I did. And all the difference you listed.... Didn't make really any at all. It was still shallow and no you couldn't do very interesting charachters with it. It was horribly broken to begin with, it didn't influence combat all that much etc.

Edited by C2B

I did. And all the difference you listed.... Didn't make really any at all. It was still shallow and no you couldn't do very interesting charachters with it. It was horribly broken to begin with, it didn't influence combat etc.

You did not...all you have done is simply disregarding the factual information and said "more doesn't equal better".

It wasn't broken for me, though based on your responses I'd imagine it was too complicated for you. You are right, the new leveling system is much better for someone like you :)

You did not...all you have done is simply disregarding the factual information and said "more doesn't equal better".

It wasn't broken for me, though based on your responses I'd imagine it was too complicated for you. You are right, the new leveling system is much better for someone like you :)

If you say so. Little weird since my all time favourite gameplay game is TOEE and I inkonsequential charachter builiding but yeah. You say it.

we already can see the entire skill system

I didn't know you were an aspiring game designer. must be cool to be able to tell exactly how a skill system works by just looking at it. I'm really sorry to have wasted your time, mister professional

Walsingham said:

we already can see the entire skill system

I didn't know you were an aspiring game designer. must be cool to be able to tell exactly how a skill system works by just looking at it. I'm really sorry to have wasted your time, mister professional

Are you honestly saying you can't look at the skill system and understand how it works? It's a very simple system with linear progression...not like a D&D game that has many options and lots of mixing and hybridization.

Are you honestly saying you can't look at the skill system and understand how it works?

I don't think we understand each other. you don't like the "concept", not the system itself, because you haven't seen how any of the choices affects gameplay.

Diablo 2 had a pretty linear system, a skill tree and stats, it was simple but effective, and allowed for a lot of variety. which people didn't know about until they actually played the game and figured out ways to make certain character builds for different situations.

seriously, I feel like I'm talking to a six year old :p

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

Are you honestly saying you can't look at the skill system and understand how it works?

I don't think we understand each other. you don't like the "concept", not the system itself, because you haven't seen how any of the choices affects gameplay.

Diablo 2 had a pretty linear system, a skill tree and stats, it was simple but effective, and allowed for a lot of variety. which people didn't know about until they actually played the game and figured out ways to make certain character builds for different situations.

seriously, I feel like I'm talking to a six year old :p

We don't understand each other because you are a dishonest a-hole who is literally just willing to say anything regardless of how little truth it has. Just like that other fanboy trying desperately arguing a futile position about the maps....even after hard evidence is provided.

The example you use is Diablo 2? Diablo 2 did not have a linear system, it had 30 skills across 3 skill trees per character. It had 99 character levels that you would have to build up over 3 play throughs. In addition, it had a VERY deep item system (including rune words, crafting, ect) as well that complimented the builds. I can tell you right now with absolutely no uncertainty that DS3's leveling system will offer nowhere near the nuance that Diablo 2's system offered.

Edited by Renevent

you are a dishonest a-hole who is literally just willing to say anything regardless of how little truth it has.

that's BS, and if you don't realize it, you're hopeless

Walsingham said:

you are a dishonest a-hole who is literally just willing to say anything regardless of how little truth it has.

that's BS, and if you don't realize it, you're hopeless

It's not BS, you have consistently either misrepresent things, or take arguments out of context, or whatever.

The game has streamlined mechanics, made some simpler, reduced map size, tethered people in multi-player...and many other concessions I have no intention of re-listing. This is the reality of the game. Obsidian also added some stuff, like dialog wheels and more emphasis on story.

If you like what they added and don't care about what was compromised to get it...hey...more power to you enjoy the game. But for someone like me, who enjoyed practically everything they dumb downed, it sucks. To me it's a very significant departure from the series and honestly I think it was a HUGE mistake.

Maybe it will work out for Obsidian though...who knows.

Edited by Renevent

ive decided im not going to buy the game till its about 30 or 40 bucks..as bad as i wanted it im not going to pay full price for it..i cant support a lot of the decisions made regardless if it was obsidian or square..while i did enjoy the combat and found the graphics and voice acting were ok the mp and cut scenes are just beyond cheap and lazy..not anywhere near worth 60 bucks..just my opinion if you dont like it thats your problem..and im already sick to death of the blatant fanboyism here..its just ridiculous..

oh and that map is just pitiful..

Edited by blueboykc

... and cut scenes are just beyond cheap and lazy...

Strongly disagree. I prefer this kind of cutscenes over the cinematic approach of other games.

Edit: Just to be sure. I'm speaking about those paintings.

Edited by Bendu

... and cut scenes are just beyond cheap and lazy...

Strongly disagree. I prefer this kind of cutscenes over the cinematic approach of other games.

Edit: Just to be sure. I'm speaking about those paintings.

thats your choice my man..i dont understand it and i dont agree with with it but thats your opinion.. :p