Seal Team Six appreciation thread

Monte Carlo

Because excessive swearing is mature... Right...

****ing A!

See, I've actually played the game, a legal copy too, and I've got to disagree with you there. I'm not sure if you're a Poe trolling or not, but if you aren't then I feel sorry for you if you think that it was, quote, the 'best ****ing game ever'.

I don't need to play it to see it has everything a gamer could want. Did you not watch that Giant Bomb video!?!?

It amuses that that people who use terms like "enhanced interrogation" and "targeted killing" are the ones most likely to have a problem with political correctness.

I'm perfectly happy with the word assassination.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It amuses that that people who use terms like "enhanced interrogation" and "targeted killing" are the ones most likely to have a problem with political correctness.

I think it is inefficent with aspirants. I prefer the more concise 'whacked'.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

To perhaps put this in a bit of context, I've been reading the excllent book Razor's Edge by Hugh Bicheno. In it he describes a British bayonet charge up a Falklands islands mountain into the face of 8 medium machine guns, plus mortars and .50 cals. On arriving at the trench line one corporal describes bayonetting half frozen Argentine conscripts with a broken stub of bayonet.

My point is that those particular killings were legal, and understandable, but I think very regrettable and pathetic. This may or may not have been legal, but I really couldn't care less. So many people die from Bin Laden inspired and managed lunacy that it's not even reported in mainstream print anymore. There are far far better people out there who deserve attention, and far greater injustices.

A sense of perspective is absolutely essential or we will certainly fritter away what little effort we have on the least deserving.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

To perhaps put this in a bit of context, I've been reading the excllent book Razor's Edge by Hugh Bicheno. In it he describes a British bayonet charge up a Falklands islands mountain into the face of 8 medium machine guns, plus mortars and .50 cals. On arriving at the trench line one corporal describes bayonetting half frozen Argentine conscripts with a broken stub of bayonet.

My point is that those particular killings were legal, and understandable, but I think very regrettable and pathetic. This may or may not have been legal, but I really couldn't care less. So many people die from Bin Laden inspired and managed lunacy that it's not even reported in mainstream print anymore. There are far far better people out there who deserve attention, and far greater injustices.

A sense of perspective is absolutely essential or we will certainly fritter away what little effort we have on the least deserving.

Well said Wals.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I prefer 'retirement'.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I prefer 'retirement'.

Since everyone dies, surely 're-scheduled' would be better?

-Elwood Blues

Sometimes national security considerations override legality. Spying is illegal also, yet everyone does it anyway.

LOL/ Good point. Never thought about that one before.

Hands up everyone who says we shouldn't use spies?

~~

BTW, I'm getting utterly sick of lazy journalists in the UK calling the SEALS the equivalent of the Special Boat Service, just because they're under Navy authority. Lazy lying scumsuckers.

-Elwood Blues

Yeah but Delta Force has Chuck Norris while the Seals are stuck with with Charlie Sheen.

But seriously it could fall to either as they are both counter terrorism... which I believe it states somewhere in Nepenthe's link.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Snatched from the 'Codex:

I am calling it:

- Call of Duty: Seal Team 6

Pssst, post #6.

Oops.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The SEALS have been assigned to deal with Afghanistan, while the Delta force is assigned to Iraq. That way they don't step on each others toes as much.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The SEALS have been assigned to deal with Afghanistan, while the Delta force is assigned to Iraq. That way they don't step on each others toes as much.

Interesting. Source? If you have a moment.

-Elwood Blues

Just googling seals afghanistan delta iraq brings up a surprising amount of info. But lmgtfy: http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/05/03/...ls_8446533.html

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Just googling seals afghanistan delta iraq brings up a surprising amount of info. But lmgtfy: http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/05/03/...ls_8446533.html

Individual burnout after only three years? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I know the SAS would envy having a big enough pool to draw on to get replacements every three years. But surely you'd be losing a lot of skills with each transfer out. *shrugs* Horses for courses, I suppose.

-Elwood Blues

Individual burnout after only three years? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I know the SAS would envy having a big enough pool to draw on to get replacements every three years. But surely you'd be losing a lot of skills with each transfer out. *shrugs* Horses for courses, I suppose.

Again, comparing the elite of the elite of the elite to the merely very elite is a fallacy. I believe the 14 Int in Northern Ireland would be the closest comparison, where people from already elite units (like SAS) were rotated into an ultra-high stress environment for a similar duration.

14 Int Coy. was very much more sneaky beaky than bangy shooty, if I recall. I may look it up later, if you're interested. My library is extremely well stocked on that count. >_<

-Elwood Blues

14 Int Coy. was very much more sneaky beaky than bangy shooty, if I recall. I may look it up later, if you're interested. My library is extremely well stocked on that count. >_<

That was kind of beside my point. :shifty:

That was kind of beside my point. :shifty:

Oh, I see. You mean the rotation aspect?

-Elwood Blues

BBC does a quick review of some other special operations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13287133

Even mentions 14 Coy.!

-Elwood Blues

14 Int Coy. was very much more sneaky beaky than bangy shooty, if I recall. I may look it up later, if you're interested. My library is extremely well stocked on that count. :p

That was kind of beside my point. :)

Oh, I see. You mean the rotation aspect?

Precisely. And I assume that also in the Det the "high-stress environment" played a large part in the rotation, and not just the "faces getting a bit familiar after a while" aspect from an intel point of view.