Rift

Hurlshort

There were quite a few invasions this Sunday, and I was pretty surprised how active the community was, particularly with being in the beginner zone. We took down some pretty big bosses.

I've got my cleric up to level 16 and it is going smoothly, I hope we stick to this server because I do not want to play through these quests a fourth time.

A shot from the final "boss" in the second zone of the Defiant chain of zones. For one of the invasions anyway.

post-13853-1304312312_thumb.jpg

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And another one of the same fight.

Was figuring out how to do screenies.

post-13853-1304312461_thumb.jpg

Calax, I'm not used to MMOs but that gui looks v complicated. Is it?

It's not very complicated...just a lot of hotkeys+easy mouse-click access to skills, typically including crafting skills as well as combat. Or one's mount. Plus spell effects you have on yourself/chat menus.

You should see some of the GUI mods people use in WoW. Now those are complicated/crazy. Literally can barely see the actual game for all the stuff...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For someone like me I suspect the controls of a 747 might make more sense.

Although any game that uses the term 'Trollify' can't be all bad :)

It's not really. Upper left is "me", and right next to that is my target. In the right corner from left to right is my buffs, and below that (if I had any) would be my debuffs, then the mini map. Below the mini map is the notice that I'm in a rift event area (the guy I'm sending spells at) and below THAT is the description of what I need to be doing in the event. The yellow text are my quests with my bags at the bottom.

I currently have four action bars up that you slowly fill with abilities so it never really seems complicated, bottom left is every panel you'd need to pull up (character, inventory, guild, talents, pvp, support, main menu, social etc) with the chat menu above that and the raid/party frame above that.

So it sounds like, and correct me if Im wrong, that the only difference between WoW and Rift is that Rift allows day 1 raiding while WoW reserves raiding for endgame level toons?

It isn't the only difference, although it is a very visible one, as rifts open up all over the place. But it really isn't about raiding, it's about ease of grouping. You run up to a rift and you are suddenly in a public group, working with people to shut it down. These type of automatic public groups are commonplace. They are really going after the idea of massively multiplayer in the MMO name. Grouping isn't just easy, it is automatic. These groups often turn into raid groups when they get big, but there is no management necessary like in an endgame raid.

The second big change is the class system. It allows for a ton of variety. I was upset that Blizzard never added new classes with the expansions (I thought the Death Knight was a bit of a cheat.) Rift allows me to really try some different types of characters, for example a cleric that can tank, DPS, or heal.

It's also just a completely different universe. The story and characters are refreshingly new for me, they've kept me engaged.

It's definitely a standard MMO, I just think it has elevated the genre by refining a lot of the mechanics other games have had. It's worth a try for anyone who enjoys MMO's.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but: How good are RIFT'S Charachters & Story? Yes, I know these are not things to exactly look for in an MMORPG but I'm looking for MMOs that also feature something in the narrative and interesting backstorys to quests.

So far, I really like Turbines games (LOTRO is one hell of an adaption) and I'm eagerly awaiting The Secret World since Ragnar T

Edited by C2B

We should all make clerics in a guild named Tetra Grammaton.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sorry for hijacking this thread but: How good are RIFT'S Charachters & Story? Yes, I know these are not things to exactly look for in an MMORPG but I'm looking for MMOs that also feature something in the narrative and interesting backstorys to quests.

So far, I really like Turbines games (LOTRO is one hell of an adaption) and I'm eagerly awaiting The Secret World since Ragnar T

So it sounds like, and correct me if Im wrong, that the only difference between WoW and Rift is that Rift allows day 1 raiding while WoW reserves raiding for endgame level toons?

It isn't the only difference, although it is a very visible one, as rifts open up all over the place. But it really isn't about raiding, it's about ease of grouping. You run up to a rift and you are suddenly in a public group, working with people to shut it down. These type of automatic public groups are commonplace. They are really going after the idea of massively multiplayer in the MMO name. Grouping isn't just easy, it is automatic. These groups often turn into raid groups when they get big, but there is no management necessary like in an endgame raid.

The second big change is the class system. It allows for a ton of variety. I was upset that Blizzard never added new classes with the expansions (I thought the Death Knight was a bit of a cheat.) Rift allows me to really try some different types of characters, for example a cleric that can tank, DPS, or heal.

It's also just a completely different universe. The story and characters are refreshingly new for me, they've kept me engaged.

It's definitely a standard MMO, I just think it has elevated the genre by refining a lot of the mechanics other games have had. It's worth a try for anyone who enjoys MMO's.

Sounds interesting. Im not a huge lore guy and couldnt tell you anything about the WoW universe even after years of play. Just FYI, the bolded part is called a Paladin in WoW.

Basically the idea behind rift's story is that centuries ago there was a war that the gods fought in and helped the mortals win (by having a few of the mortals ascend into higher beings, among other things). The victory came when the first ascended of each "soul" (sub-class) helped imprison the various enemy gods/dragons, and seal the planes. Then the gods set up a defense system to keep the other planes from intruding and to start making more ascended should the Blood Storm re-create itself (basically it's an inter-planar army led by the 6 dragons/gods).

Fast foreward several centuries and you find an ideological divide start between the Defiant (who believe that the gods have abandoned the planet and are using tech to try to counter the blood storm... although they are playing a bit fast and loose) and the Guardians (who are the faithful to the gods, dogmatic and a bit overbearing... also have a distinct dislike of tech), but both sides are able to work together under a single unifying leader.

In the Guardian starting zone you're 20 years prior to the events of the game proper. You were killed and chosen to for ascension because you were extremely powerful in life, as you go through you learn that the "current" king has gone a bit crazy and used some of the defiants machines to rip through the Ward to access the other planes, allowing the rifts to start opening in the lands once again. Zone ends in a fairly massive "Boom" and you pop back into the world 20 years in the future and learn about how the world has gone since then.

In the Defiant starter, you're brought back to life as an ascended via techonolgy, in the end of days. Literally, the blood storms invasion has basically won because, according to the defiants, the Guardians were so focused on wiping out the Defiants and their tech that they didn't have enough forces to beat back the Storm. So your staring quests are basically activating a fail-safe device the Defiants built that flings you back in time to the period of the game to alter the future.

Both stories are told HEAVILY slanted against the other side.

Sounds interesting. Im not a huge lore guy and couldnt tell you anything about the WoW universe even after years of play. Just FYI, the bolded part is called a Paladin in WoW.

I played a Paladin in WoW to level 60, and I enjoyed the class, but I wouldn't really say I could heal or DPS anywhere close to a priest or a rogue/wizard.

But honestly it is hard to explain how different it is. There is just a lot more flexibility in the system. Now this might be a balance issue, I haven't paid much attention to that, but there are a lot of creative functional builds out there.

To be honest, WOW doesn't really have interesting lore/charachters/story. It has a incredible load of it but most of the stuff is proven fantasy clichees mashed together without going too deep into anything.

Edited by C2B

I played a Paladin in WoW to level 60, and I enjoyed the class, but I wouldn't really say I could heal or DPS anywhere close to a priest or a rogue/wizard.

Is it one class with three specs (but you can only have one spec "active") ala WoW or are you saying your Rift Cleric can do all three jobs simultaneously?

Is it one class with three specs (but you can only have one spec "active") ala WoW or are you saying your Rift Cleric can do all three jobs simultaneously?

That's a tricky question. First off, you get three active trees at once. So right now I have two healing professions and an offensive casting one. But then you can create other 'roles' which are like specs, where you have other trees active. You can switch them on the fly.

It also doesn't seem to be as gear-centric as WoW, although I haven't played far enough to confirm this.

That's a tricky question. First off, you get three active trees at once. So right now I have two healing professions and an offensive casting one. But then you can create other 'roles' which are like specs, where you have other trees active. You can switch them on the fly.

It also doesn't seem to be as gear-centric as WoW, although I haven't played far enough to confirm this.

It doesn't feel like it, but then, like Hurlie, I'm also pretty low still.

And by "On the fly" he means "as the fight continues around you, channel a cast to change specs no resources lost"

So, attached is another fight with the Planar invasions, this one was from the earth.

Also making a guild by the name of Obsidian Society.

post-13853-1304390591_thumb.jpg

Should probably get back to playing this. Got distracted by EVE.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It doesn't feel like it, but then, like Hurlie, I'm also pretty low still.

And by "On the fly" he means "as the fight continues around you, channel a cast to change specs no resources lost"

Hmm, sounds nice and OP like I like. Ill see if I can drum up the energy but the thought of leveling another toon doesnt excite me one bit.