Character reveal trailer

Oh I wouldn't call her a witch - no satanism involved o:) sorceress or something maybe. Both Cat and Angel are hybrids though - Melee with combat magic (new 'class') and guns\ranged with combat magic (DS2 expansion class). Of the 3 characters revealed, Luke is the only pure character (classic jedi melee :fdevil: ). And there's no nature magic shown yet either. Still hoping for a pure wizard\sorcerer but Alchemist is what I'm thinking. Then again, 'technospells' could look and work just as well as 'real' spells. There'd need to something explaining why no real magic I'd say. Maybe the cataclysm in DS2 wiped it out?

Be nice if the official Dungeon Siege site updated the bio. I'm wondering if she's human or possibly got Elven blood in her. Bit hard to tell and the trailer ran badly on the computer here.

Oh another thought, how easy would it be for Obsidian to add in other characters as DLC? I'm not thinking full blown storyline's more freeplay expansion characters.

/nerd on

Hmmm... I wasn't aware witches and satanists were the same thing. ;) After all, in the character reveal it DOES say her mom was a witch, which explains where she gets her powers from... You know, it might be interesting if she was part elven (though I highly doubt it, since they are on a different continent, and the only traveling races it seems in this world are the humans and the utraeans)... Especially since elves were going extinct (thank god), and much time has happened since the cataclysm, so she may only be 1 of a handful of elves left.

In any case I'm hoping the remaining hidden character is a nature mage too (though I doubt he will be). Dungeon Siege actually had some very interesting magic (both 1 and 2), and it would be a shame to just brush everything resembling their magic structure under the rug. =P

As far as there being no magic, it still exists since you can see spells being cast by the mobs (as well as both Anjali and Katarina using it). In the expansion of DS2 magic was still around too, so It wouldn't be very consistent if they were to say that the Cataclysm wiped it out... Especially since it seems that the "Kingdom of Ehb" section of the DS3 website gives the impression that the cataclysm was mostly felt on Aranna, and that the total damage Ehb only ever got was just peripheral.

/nerd off

Depends on your interpretation and RW versus DS. If you go something like say Harry Potter it's just a girl with magic.

Character reveal? Not on DungeonSiege.Com that's for sure. Where're you looking? No, Elves are on the same continent, Ehb's just further west than the DS2 campaign. Humans, Droog and Goblins were the only races in DS1. No wait they did have Dwarves. No Elves as far as I can recall. Hey I like Elves! No Elf hating allowed! o:):)

I missed that the cataclysm wasn't semi-global. I did see that magic was being used but I'm wondering if it's been nerfed by the cataclysm or something. DS2 post cataclysm (expansion) didn't really change magic but with a long enough time period and enough creativity Obsidian could do something e.g. The cataclysm broke the worlds natural magic potential. Over the centuries power drained out of this world. Wizards of today can only just cast fireballs whereas 100 years ago the same effort would have enabled them to summon fire from the heavens to wipe out entire cities.

It's still possible but it's something that's so open to possibilities. The cast so far:

• Luke => Vanilla male melee character like DS1 & DS2
  • Angel => hybrid female melee with combat magic - new
  • Cat => hybrid female ranged with combat magic - DS2 expansion hybrid?

So we've got the classic melee, we've sorta got a ranged character but one hybridised with combat magic. We don't have a pure combat mage though we do have a second melee character with combat magic, and finally we've got the mysterious Alchemist. Mad scientist, nature made, evil overlord, who knows. Given nature magic is the only aspect not touched on either a male pure nature mage or male hybrid nature mage\ranged character seems likely. Either way it's a bit unbalanced. A character and a half focused on melee, 2 half characters focused on combat magic, half a character focused on ranged magic and the Alchemist either fully focused on nature magery (or some equivalent) or a half focus and two half characters focusing on ranged combat. We'll just have to continue to wait and see :(

I don't see a role for a healer in this game and that was one of the nature mage functions. Nerfed spell lists means limited summons and reduced attack options. Possibly a summonable pet but not a focus. Offense seems to rule in this, and would make sense on twitch console controls as opposed to the intellectuals M&K setup :) which does better for strategy. Maybe disabling spells e.g. AoE frost immobility\Vine binding or for the alcoholics on the board Wine binding :)

Oh I wouldn't call her a witch - no satanism involved ;) sorceress or something maybe. Both Cat and Angel are hybrids though - Melee with combat magic (new 'class') and guns\ranged with combat magic (DS2 expansion class). Of the 3 characters revealed, Luke is the only pure character (classic jedi melee :fdevil: ). And there's no nature magic shown yet either. Still hoping for a pure wizard\sorcerer but Alchemist is what I'm thinking. Then again, 'technospells' could look and work just as well as 'real' spells. There'd need to something explaining why no real magic I'd say. Maybe the cataclysm in DS2 wiped it out?

Be nice if the official Dungeon Siege site updated the bio. I'm wondering if she's human or possibly got Elven blood in her. Bit hard to tell and the trailer ran badly on the computer here.

Oh another thought, how easy would it be for Obsidian to add in other characters as DLC? I'm not thinking full blown storyline's more freeplay expansion characters.

/nerd on

Hmmm... I wasn't aware witches and satanists were the same thing. ;) After all, in the character reveal it DOES say her mom was a witch, which explains where she gets her powers from... You know, it might be interesting if she was part elven (though I highly doubt it, since they are on a different continent, and the only traveling races it seems in this world are the humans and the utraeans)... Especially since elves were going extinct (thank god), and much time has happened since the cataclysm, so she may only be 1 of a handful of elves left.

In any case I'm hoping the remaining hidden character is a nature mage too (though I doubt he will be). Dungeon Siege actually had some very interesting magic (both 1 and 2), and it would be a shame to just brush everything resembling their magic structure under the rug. =P

As far as there being no magic, it still exists since you can see spells being cast by the mobs (as well as both Anjali and Katarina using it). In the expansion of DS2 magic was still around too, so It wouldn't be very consistent if they were to say that the Cataclysm wiped it out... Especially since it seems that the "Kingdom of Ehb" section of the DS3 website gives the impression that the cataclysm was mostly felt on Aranna, and that the total damage Ehb only ever got was just peripheral.

/nerd off

Dungeon siege 2 took place in Aranna, and that is entirely different from the continent Ehb is on as far as I know. Look at the map for the expansion of Dungeon Siege 1, Legends of Aranna.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantasy-art-a...its/4007164449/

The map says "The Island of the Utraeans" instead of Aranna, so I wonder if the island is an island that is PART of Aranna, but the game only ever refers to this area as being Aranna.

That being said, look at the Dungeon Siege 2 map of Aranna...

http://www.dungeonsiege2.net/ds2fun/image/...768-for-Dev.jpg

On that map Aranna isn't an island (unless the map only shows one small area of the island of the Utraeans, but I doubt that since none of the things in Legends of Aranna is ever mentioned in DS2, aside from half giants)... So for the sake of continuity, I would think that the island of the Utraeans is counted as part of Aranna's continent. This would also make sense since you don't see any Utraeans in DS2, and since you don't see any elves on the island of the Utraeans (and also why you might see half giants in both places if they traveled to and from the island and the mainland). To be honest, however, I think that it might just have been continuity oversight...

What adds to the confusion even more is that the storyline on the DS3 website says that a tsunami (created from the cataclysm on Aranna) hit the eastern side of Ehb, when on the Legends of Aranna map, the Island of the Utraeans is northwest of Ehb.

Hmmm... Maybe I'm wrong though. To be honest it's hard to keep track of the lore in this game, heh. The more I look into the lore the more confusing it gets...

Depends on your interpretation and RW versus DS. If you go something like say Harry Potter it's just a girl with magic.

Character reveal? Not on DungeonSiege.Com that's for sure. Where're you looking? No, Elves are on the same continent, Ehb's just further west than the DS2 campaign. Humans, Droog and Goblins were the only races in DS1. No wait they did have Dwarves. No Elves as far as I can recall. Hey I like Elves! No Elf hating allowed! o:):)

I missed that the cataclysm wasn't semi-global. I did see that magic was being used but I'm wondering if it's been nerfed by the cataclysm or something. DS2 post cataclysm (expansion) didn't really change magic but with a long enough time period and enough creativity Obsidian could do something e.g. The cataclysm broke the worlds natural magic potential. Over the centuries power drained out of this world. Wizards of today can only just cast fireballs whereas 100 years ago the same effort would have enabled them to summon fire from the heavens to wipe out entire cities.

It's still possible but it's something that's so open to possibilities. The cast so far:

• Luke => Vanilla male melee character like DS1 & DS2
  • Angel => hybrid female melee with combat magic - new
  • Cat => hybrid female ranged with combat magic - DS2 expansion hybrid?

So we've got the classic melee, we've sorta got a ranged character but one hybridised with combat magic. We don't have a pure combat mage though we do have a second melee character with combat magic, and finally we've got the mysterious Alchemist. Mad scientist, nature made, evil overlord, who knows. Given nature magic is the only aspect not touched on either a male pure nature mage or male hybrid nature mage\ranged character seems likely. Either way it's a bit unbalanced. A character and a half focused on melee, 2 half characters focused on combat magic, half a character focused on ranged magic and the Alchemist either fully focused on nature magery (or some equivalent) or a half focus and two half characters focusing on ranged combat. We'll just have to continue to wait and see :(

I don't see a role for a healer in this game and that was one of the nature mage functions. Nerfed spell lists means limited summons and reduced attack options. Possibly a summonable pet but not a focus. Offense seems to rule in this, and would make sense on twitch console controls as opposed to the intellectuals M&K setup :) which does better for strategy. Maybe disabling spells e.g. AoE frost immobility\Vine binding or for the alcoholics on the board Wine binding :)

Oh I wouldn't call her a witch - no satanism involved ;) sorceress or something maybe. Both Cat and Angel are hybrids though - Melee with combat magic (new 'class') and guns\ranged with combat magic (DS2 expansion class). Of the 3 characters revealed, Luke is the only pure character (classic jedi melee :fdevil: ). And there's no nature magic shown yet either. Still hoping for a pure wizard\sorcerer but Alchemist is what I'm thinking. Then again, 'technospells' could look and work just as well as 'real' spells. There'd need to something explaining why no real magic I'd say. Maybe the cataclysm in DS2 wiped it out?

/nerd on

/nerd off

Was her design inspired by Red Sonya? I mean, the actual Red Sonya envisioned by Robert E Howard?

robert e. howard? kidding, right? thigh highs stockings and stiletto heels? also, while we does vague recall that sonya carried a pair o' flintlock pistols, we don't 'member no magic use. our memory is indeed fuzzy regarding the single howard sonya story, but am picturing sonya using her saber rather than her pistols in the limited action sequence(s) from the story. am suspecting that a link to howard would needs be VERY tenuous at best... got far more o' a over-the-top anime feel. howard admittedly gives insta geek cred that the obsinaties would like to embrace, but we see very little rationale for blaming howard for the dungeon siege 3 gun tart.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Tsunami hitting the east coast? Sure you aren't thinking of Japan? There's not really any sea around Ehb, see http://www.microsoft.com/games/dungeonsieg...x10_desktop.jpg

Okay maybe found what you're talking about - 1243PF Dungeon Siege 2. The Second Cataclysm devastates the eastern half of the continent. Greilyn Isle sinks beneath the sea, and the coast of Ehb is struck by a massive tsunami.� Lescanzi travelers report widespread chaos in the east. In the decade that follows, Ehb's borders are assailed by brigands and marauders, but the Legion stands firm, and the kingdom remains intact.

So the eastern half of Aranna is devastated. A Tsunami does hit Ehb but only where there's sea access. Stonebridge and The Swamp are probably the two areas that'd be devastated. Glacern's wiped out by Jeyne's forces and the royal capital's currently Glitterdelve Mine. Oh Stonebridge must still exist, it's become an independant republic. How it could have grown big enough in 125 years I've no idea. The Spire of Azunai is built on Mt Jhereb and made Jeyne's capital (sounds like DS2)

My guess is that Ehb's even further west than the small compass in your third link. Means there's a fair bit of desert\inhospitable terrain between Ehn and the inhabited parts of Aranna.

Hm just a thought. Hope the games not Heroes V church. Good guys versus religion'd suck. No problem wiping out evil religions that want to declare jihad on me and mine but ... As always need more info about the game :lol:

I think Greilyn's south of Aranna. Ehb's far west, probably

Dungeon siege 2 took place in Aranna, and that is entirely different from the continent Ehb is on as far as I know. Look at the map for the expansion of Dungeon Siege 1, Legends of Aranna.

The map says "The Island of the Utraeans" instead of Aranna, so I wonder if the island is an island that is PART of Aranna, but the game only ever refers to this area as being Aranna.

On that map Aranna isn't an island (unless the map only shows one small area of the island of the Utraeans, but I doubt that since none of the things in Legends of Aranna is ever mentioned in DS2, aside from half giants)... So for the sake of continuity, I would think that the island of the Utraeans is counted as part of Aranna's continent. This would also make sense since you don't see any Utraeans in DS2, and since you don't see any elves on the island of the Utraeans (and also why you might see half giants in both places if they traveled to and from the island and the mainland). To be honest, however, I think that it might just have been continuity oversight...

What adds to the confusion even more is that the storyline on the DS3 website says that a tsunami (created from the cataclysm on Aranna) hit the eastern side of Ehb, when on the Legends of Aranna map, the Island of the Utraeans is northwest of Ehb.

Hmmm... Maybe I'm wrong though. To be honest it's hard to keep track of the lore in this game, heh. The more I look into the lore the more confusing it gets...

Hmmm... All that could be true I suppose. Like I said, the lore in the game world is convoluted at best. =P The only hole I can see in your theory however is that on the Legends of Aranna map, Aranna (or at least part of it... The island of the Utraeans) is located northwest of the kingdom of Ehb. If a tsunami struck Ehb from there, it may destroy some of the coastal villages like Arhok, but if you combine the maps from both DS1 and it's expansion, you'll see that there is a giant wall of mountains it would have to get over (I guess it would still come up from the coast to the south of Ehb after going around what I can only assume is a peninsula... possibly the Utraean peninsula goes down there? If the tsunami had enough force, I think it would definitely be possible... I live in an area surrounded by peninsulas and islands and even then it's still a very high risk place for tsunamis), but it would be a lot less powerful than a direct hit on the shoreline to the south I would think.

Here's all 3 maps to look over from the first game...

http://www.fantasy-art-and-portraits.com/f...world_maps.html

For some reason I remembered Ehb as being surrounded by water... I should have looked at the map before opening my fat mouth in my earlier posts, heh. =P If Aranna was east of Ehb, it would happen like you say... to be honest, though, it would seem odd to me that Aranna would have stakes to claim on both the east AND west side of Ehb (the island of the Utraeans which we know is counted as part of Aranna to the northwest, and where you suspect Aranna is to the east)... Especially since the Island of the Utraeans seems to be an unclaimed wilderness for the most part (aside from territories of the Hassat, the Utraeans, and other humanoids... but even then those are all very introverted and small societies). I would think the map of Aranna from DS2 would be anywhere between north to west of Ehb judging by the map from the expansion of DS1 (and the Island of the Utraeans would just be an island off the coast of Aranna... much like Japan is off the coast of the rest of asia). This would also make sense, since the eastern half of Aranna is destroyed by the cataclysm, pushing the tsunami primarily westward... These are all speculations though. I'm no tsunami expert. And, to be honest, the more I delve into it the more confused I get. =P

On a different note, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the changes done to Stonebridge... I wonder if that catapult is still there. =)

As for the religion thing I agree... I'm getting a bit bored of the "evil church" stereotype in video games. =P I prefer Age of Conan's approach to religions, hehe...

Tsunami hitting the east coast? Sure you aren't thinking of Japan? There's not really any sea around Ehb, see http://www.microsoft.com/games/dungeonsieg...x10_desktop.jpg

Okay maybe found what you're talking about - 1243PF Dungeon Siege 2. The Second Cataclysm devastates the eastern half of the continent. Greilyn Isle sinks beneath the sea, and the coast of Ehb is struck by a massive tsunami.� Lescanzi travelers report widespread chaos in the east. In the decade that follows, Ehb's borders are assailed by brigands and marauders, but the Legion stands firm, and the kingdom remains intact.

So the eastern half of Aranna is devastated. A Tsunami does hit Ehb but only where there's sea access. Stonebridge and The Swamp are probably the two areas that'd be devastated. Glacern's wiped out by Jeyne's forces and the royal capital's currently Glitterdelve Mine. Oh Stonebridge must still exist, it's become an independant republic. How it could have grown big enough in 125 years I've no idea. The Spire of Azunai is built on Mt Jhereb and made Jeyne's capital (sounds like DS2)

My guess is that Ehb's even further west than the small compass in your third link. Means there's a fair bit of desert\inhospitable terrain between Ehn and the inhabited parts of Aranna.

Hm just a thought. Hope the games not Heroes V church. Good guys versus religion'd suck. No problem wiping out evil religions that want to declare jihad on me and mine but ... As always need more info about the game :(

I think Greilyn's south of Aranna. Ehb's far west, probably

I think you're confusing geography and politics. Take America as an example. Political Americans live in the bottom half of the northern half of America\the Americas. Northern geographical Americans are Canadians. Southern Americans can be the bottom half of the political half or the bottom half of the entire geographic region. I think Aranna's the same. There may be a Kingdom of Aranna or somesuch but mostly it's a geographic reference. Ehb is part of Aranna like Cuba or Chile are part of America. Geographical America that is (I'd prefer to avoid telling Canadians they just became the 51st-63rd states of the USA :lol: ) I'd say DS2's map is actually east or even southeast of DS1's Ehb.

The Tsunami hit the coast of Ehb but which coast is unclear. I too thought Ehb was partially surrounded by water. The map you link to is the one from the manual. Assuming a coastal position water could surge up via the south. Doesn't look like there's a western coast but it depends whether Arhok (picture 3) is part of Ehb or not. If it is there is a west coast they might be partially vulnerable. It's not the DS1 core region though.

Gravemaker? Maybe it'll be redone differently e.g a stone statue of it with the figure of Gyan manning it - assuming I have my names correct. Ds1 references will be interesting to see but I hope it's not to 'the farmer girl'. The idea of some skinny redhead girl waving a sword and beating the Seck is ridiculous to me. Too much appeal to PC ideological\adolescent fantasy notions and not enough reality. Minor bias on my part perhaps.

No idea how the multiplayer map (picture 3) connects to Ehb or the rest of Aranna.

Hmmm... All that could be true I suppose. Like I said, the lore in the game world is convoluted at best. =P The only hole I can see in your theory however is that on the Legends of Aranna map, Aranna (or at least part of it... The island of the Utraeans) is located northwest of the kingdom of Ehb. If a tsunami struck Ehb from there, it may destroy some of the coastal villages like Arhok, but if you combine the maps from both DS1 and it's expansion, you'll see that there is a giant wall of mountains it would have to get over (I guess it would still come up from the coast to the south of Ehb after going around what I can only assume is a peninsula... possibly the Utraean peninsula goes down there? If the tsunami had enough force, I think it would definitely be possible... I live in an area surrounded by peninsulas and islands and even then it's still a very high risk place for tsunamis), but it would be a lot less powerful than a direct hit on the shoreline to the south I would think.

Here's all 3 maps to look over from the first game...

http://www.fantasy-art-and-portraits.com/f...world_maps.html

For some reason I remembered Ehb as being surrounded by water... I should have looked at the map before opening my fat mouth in my earlier posts, heh. =P If Aranna was east of Ehb, it would happen like you say... to be honest, though, it would seem odd to me that Aranna would have stakes to claim on both the east AND west side of Ehb (the island of the Utraeans which we know is counted as part of Aranna to the northwest, and where you suspect Aranna is to the east)... Especially since the Island of the Utraeans seems to be an unclaimed wilderness for the most part (aside from territories of the Hassat, the Utraeans, and other humanoids... but even then those are all very introverted and small societies). I would think the map of Aranna from DS2 would be anywhere between north to west of Ehb judging by the map from the expansion of DS1 (and the Island of the Utraeans would just be an island off the coast of Aranna... much like Japan is off the coast of the rest of asia). This would also make sense, since the eastern half of Aranna is destroyed by the cataclysm, pushing the tsunami primarily westward... These are all speculations though. I'm no tsunami expert. And, to be honest, the more I delve into it the more confused I get. =P

On a different note, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the changes done to Stonebridge... I wonder if that catapult is still there. =)

As for the religion thing I agree... I'm getting a bit bored of the "evil church" stereotype in video games. =P I prefer Age of Conan's approach to religions, hehe...

Edited by Lord Elvewyn

Off-topic - RPGFan: Random Encounter - Episode 21

Time for an extra-long edition of RPGFan's Random Encounter! The usual party of RPGFan editors is joined by Kyle E. Miller for a discussion of the recently released Dragon Age II before moving on to talk about Heavy Rain (and its sequel?!), Dissidia [duodecim] 012, and Pokemon Black and White. Zack brings us impressions of action RPGs Bastion and Dungeon Siege 3 before wrapping up with the week's news.

There's not any new information about the game that I could tell. Mostly the guy seemed to think it was fun but not particularly memorable (he clearly preferred Bastion and felt that was more exciting). There was also a bit of a discussion about how much hardcore gamers vs casual gamers (casual gamers seemingly being a fairly large part of the target audience with the drop-in co-op stuff) will care about the game and so forth.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusiv...on-siege/712096

This is the chick with guns. Silly clothes but she looks cool enough, might be the first character I play because... guns.

Looks quite nice, although the animations up close seem a bit clunky? Then again, that might be the balancing on high heels whilst in the middle of a sword/gunfight. Can't be easy to move all smoothly with footwear like that.

I'm excited about the game though. Hope the next character will be revealed soon. :*

I joined to ask are you serious with this character reveal? Is part of the contract when taking money from Square Enix that you have to put jiggle physics in the game? Seriously juvenile, guys.

Its an artistic choice. Its meant to be over the top. Ninja Gaiden, DMC and others were named as insperation.

Also. Just to say. One of the worst objectifications of women last year (and probably in the history of games) was most of the time pretty normal dressed.

Madison Paige

Madison Paige = Disco Scene (Just disturbing. No women would act that way or take the situation so casually except if it was plausible in her personality. Which isn't true to her.

= Sex Scene (After she meets her partner like 3 times in person and on every occassion bandages him up. And she doesn't even know where they are from. Not to mention if the player engages, they have sex while the son drowns. Classy)

On the other hand. The most over the top scandily dressed charachter last year (Bayonetta) was actually pretty well handled. Stood on her own during the game and dealt with issues on her own. Even with some charachter development. Not to mention the games love interest wasn't boytoy Supersoldier #9000 but still capable to handle his own in the game. Come to think of it. For a Japanese over-the-top action game Bayonetta did several things right with charachters that other games still fail at.

So really: If the style fits the charachters personality in some way I don't really care how scandily a charachter is dressed or if there are jiggely physics. I usually take more issues the handling of the charachter itself.

Mind you if the game was going for a more realistic artstyle I had more issues with it.

Edited by C2B

Words words words

Those aren't exactly good games to take inspiration from as far as art style goes. Let's face it, what's done is done, but that kind of art direction decision is something I'd like to see disappear from game. It implies a double standard in the way genders are handled by the artists to my eyes, not to mention that it also immediately strikes me as generic. And to think that Obsidian did very well so far.. :p

Words words words

Those aren't exactly good games to take inspiration from as far as art style goes. Let's face it, what's done is done, but that kind of art direction decision is something I'd like to see disappear from game. It implies a double standard in the way genders are handled by the artists to my eyes, not to mention that it also immediately strikes me as generic. And to think that Obsidian did very well so far.. :p

How? Actually, most male charachters are JUST as exagerrated. Or am I suddenly living in a world where every second dude is completly ripped? I guess it isn't as much of an issue with the male demographic because of "Power Fantasy". :ermm:

I see the double standard more in relation to real life women. Why is it that the same thing is usually way less of an issue when it comes to movies and tv?

Exagerration is just as viable as realism.

Edited by C2B

How? Actually, most male charachters are JUST as exagerrated. I guess it isn't as much of an issue with the male demographic because of "Power Fantasy". :p

I see the double standard more in relation to real life women. Why is it that the same thing is usually way less of an issue when it comes to movies and tv?

Exagerration is just as viable as realism.

Uh? Look at your argument, it should be clear why there's a double standard.

Males character are power fantasies, sure, but for whom? Male gamers.

Female characters are sexual fantasies, again, for male gamers, precisely the bi/straight kind.

Dungeon Siege III doesn't do AS bad as other games on that regard (most of the Lescanzi witches and Anjali are pretty sensible.. Leona and Katarina aren't), but it does pretty badly compared to Obsidian's games.

Uh? Look at your argument, it should be clear why there's a double standard.

Males character are power fantasies, sure, but for whom? Male gamers.

Female characters are sexual fantasies, again, for male gamers, precisely the bi/straight kind.

Dungeon Siege III doesn't do AS bad as other games on that regard (most of the Lescanzi witches and Anjali are pretty sensible.. Leona and Katarina aren't), but it does pretty badly compared to Obsidian's games.

Back to you.

Read your own post again and think about what is stereotypicaly attractive to women.... Essentialy the same thing, at least visually. (Well, except Epic Style Fat Space Marines)

Edited so it fits better.

Edit2: Have forgotten an example: Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age 2

Edited by C2B

Well, a couple of things you did wrong here. First equaling the exaggerations of men and women in games. Men in games are shown to be physical specimens, which makes a lot of sense with most of the activities they are participating in. Would you expect Nathan Drake to be able to jump from cliff to cliff with a gut? Would you expect Kratos, a man that shoves a hydra through a ship mast, to be a ninety pound weakling? Now, what does Ivy's attire and DD's do for her fighting style?

Secondly, it is more than acceptable to use the style of another game as inspiration for yours, but that does not give blanket immunity for including the worst parts of it. So if they include a whip-sword wielding heroine, that means it is totally ok to oversize her breasts and use dental floss to hold them up? Terrible argument.

And you bring up Bayonetta. Final failure.

You think so? Katarina isn't the less covered woman of Obsidian, SIE was there before her :p . I mean, look at her, she's less modest than Katarina (even when she's at her less modest with the corset), and you meet her in Mother Freezing Russia!

post-25197-1301339035_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sannom

Read your own post again and think about what is stereotypicaly attractive to women.... Essentialy the same thing, at least visually. (Well, except Epic Style Fat Space Marines)

Man in bigger and bigger plate armors that cover everything while looking ridiculous are attractive to women? That's news for me. :p

Well, a couple of things you did wrong here. First equaling the exaggerations of men and women in games. Men in games are shown to be physical specimens, which makes a lot of sense with most of the activities they are participating in. Would you expect Nathan Drake to be able to jump from cliff to cliff with a gut? Would you expect Kratos, a man that shoves a hydra through a ship mast, to be a ninety pound weakling? Now, what does Ivy's attire and DD's do for her fighting style?

Secondly, it is more than acceptable to use the style of another game as inspiration for yours, but that does not give blanket immunity for including the worst parts of it. So if they include a whip-sword wielding heroine, that means it is totally ok to oversize her breasts and use dental floss to hold them up? Terrible argument.

And you bring up Bayonetta. Final failure.

1. Yes, I bring up Baynoetta. No its not a failure if you can get past the exggaration which seems to be an impossible feet here. I was genuinly impressed with it. Just have to mention Lucas again. Have problems finding a featured love interest in a game that rivals his handling as a love interest.

2. Nathan Drake is a horrible example and completly over the top too. We can have a nice, fine discussion about the beginning/flash sequence of Uncharted 2 and how much sense it makes regarding climbing/surviving in extreme situations if you want. But hey at least he looks cool when he does that stuff. And Kratos? Most of his outift makes no sense.

3. Again, exgarration. But ohhhhh no. I know. Things like this aren't allowed. We're sexists.

Edit: Just to note: I agree there is a dominace of it on the female side where it is not okay. Soul Calibur Charachter where its "just" done for fanservice combined with ridiculus voices/text are actually a good example of that. Thanks.

Edited by C2B