What are the scariest movies you have ever seen

Gorgon

Titanic was terrifying. I mean, think about it; you give a woman all of that love and affection and she's heartless enough to not scooter over on a floating door and lets you drown in the frigid waters. It's a good thing they're not like that in real life...

I know seriously, like you can't share the door for a few and tread water? Totally ruined the whole emotion of the ending for me.

I find James Cameron's descent into becoming a director of predictable, humdrum, mega-million movies terrifying.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I find James Cameron's descent into becoming a director of predictable, humdrum, mega-million movies terrifying.

Why is it terrifying? Studios want to make money occasionally. While the taffy-headed proles enjoy his movies. What's there to object to?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You take people too seriously sometimes, Walsh. :lol: In the non-comical sense it matters not at all simply because I don't have to go see his movies.

But if you want a more serious answer...I'm not at all concerned about the obvious studio angles. What I wonder about is the creeping feeling that he's going to pull a Lucas, become obsessed with what "CGI/tech can do" and work/tinker endlessly on his one vanity/love project.

Cameron had no interest in making T3, or the next Alien movie...in the past he seemed to usually be more interested in moving on to new projects/stories than endless sequels....but Avatar may be his Star Wars. Which could be either good or bad depending on one's point of view. We'll see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You take people too seriously sometimes, Walsh. :lol: In the non-comical sense it matters not at all simply because I don't have to go see his movies.

But if you want a more serious answer...I'm not at all concerned about the obvious studio angles. What I wonder about is the creeping feeling that he's going to pull a Lucas, become obsessed with what "CGI/tech can do" and work/tinker endlessly on his one vanity/love project.

Cameron had no interest in making T3, or the next Alien movie...in the past he seemed to usually be more interested in moving on to new projects/stories than endless sequels....but Avatar may be his Star Wars. Which could be either good or bad depending on one's point of view. We'll see.

He did say that it was going to be a trilogy, so your analogy is not too far off. I really don't care too much for this 3d oversaturation, on the other hand it does mean that people like me will get a job.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I predict a musical version of Das Boot. In 3D.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

rofl.gif Yeah, exactly.

Just add 3D and water.

61940805.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

rofl.gif Yeah, exactly.

Just add 3D and water.

61940805.jpg

Youtube mashup ahoy.

-Elwood Blues

Not sure that adults really find films scary. Certainly when I was a kid there were some things I couldn't watch, like the guy drinking from the wrong cup at the end of the last crusade. I think once you get older and you've seen enough of how rough the real world is, anything in a film seems pretty tame.

I suppose that's why "Threads" struck a nerve with so many people. Just a little too real.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Not sure that adults really find films scary. Certainly when I was a kid there were some things I couldn't watch, like the guy drinking from the wrong cup at the end of the last crusade. I think once you get older and you've seen enough of how rough the real world is, anything in a film seems pretty tame.

I suppose that's why "Threads" struck a nerve with so many people. Just a little too real.

Not sure anyone but you and me have seen it, here.

Bloody terrified me.

-Elwood Blues

I'm not sure that it's just about the scare factor, for a lot of people is about self discovery (finding out what makes them queasy or scared) I would say that for them is about the art of horror. Psychological, Thriller, Body Horror, Slasher a lot of those movies are actually about themes greater than their gore.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I'm not sure that it's just about the scare factor, for a lot of people is about self discovery (finding out what makes them queasy or scared) I would say that for them is about the art of horror. Psychological, Thriller, Body Horror, Slasher a lot of those movies are actually about themes greater than their gore.

Interesting angle. Would you say the same is true of other forms, like comedy?

-Elwood Blues

Interesting angle. Would you say the same is true of other forms, like comedy?

Sure, comedy is sometimes a form of social or personal commentary. Satire specially, I won't so far as to saying that every movie (horror or comedy) is up to those standards since to a lot people; those working in the industry also, the messages are lost. To be more concrete I put forward the example of "Dawn of the Dead" is pretty known that the zombies where a metaphor for mindless consumerism.

Edit:I just remembered Open Waters is a good film, has a great sense of danger.

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif