Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

Todd Howard was tester of Arena, quest designer of Daggerfall and project lead of Morrowind & Redguard.

he didn't lead the Oblivion team? hmmm

Either him or Ken Rolston.

thcrazygalssestopjd.jpg

Daggerfall was great. Morrowind was pretty decent. Fallout 3 was excellent in parts, poor in others.

Oblivion was horrible.

SOmetimes hate is well deserved.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I heard that Arena has been considered abandonware (or something similar) for a very long time now. I have a copy somewhere but can't make it work. what about Daggerfall?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's a new engine.

I guess this is why they let Pete Hines do the talking, the previous statement was about as nonsense as it got.

This pretty much was the only thing keeping me away from Skyrim.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Should I hope for vikings?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Should I hope for vikings?

Vikings, nomadic tribes, AND lumberjacks. :sorcerer:

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay

I sleep all night and I work all day...

I don't know enough about Elder Scrolls to guess what kind of society/people live in "Skyrim", but the trailer looked like something from Dragon Age trying to string previous Elder Scroll games together in some kind of coherent time line :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The ES games have a pretty substantial body of in-game lore at this point, although it was maybe not really evident in Oblivion. The lore isn't enough to save a bad game certainly, but it does give the developers a context to work with, which, ideally, should help create a more interesting game experience.

That being said the ES series is trending downward pretty badly. I'm really curious to see if Oblivion was just a "as bad as it can get" moment for the ES series or a legitimate indicator of how Beth truly sees the series now. Personally, I think that Bethesda knows they made a really bland game in Oblivion and will bring more of Fallout 3 into Skyrim. Not that F3 is the end-all/be-all of crpgs but it's improvement over Oblivion was dramatic and impressive.

How will SKyrim turn? Oblivion 2? Or Fallout 4?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

As long as I get to dual-wield axes and wear horned helmets, I'm happy.

As long as I get to dual-wield axes and wear horned helmets, I'm happy.

having dozens of monsters dancing in front of you at any given time would be a nice addition to the otherwise perfect scenario you just pictured :lol:

I want a new Blade of Darkness, Skyrim could be it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Not gonna tolerate Gamebryo engine anymore. Fallout New Vegas is great game but damn, Gamebryo is trying it's hardest to kill the fun.

On one level I agree it prob time for a new engine. OTOH the engine is so well known not just by the devs but modders. It would set the modding community back a bit with an all new engine potentially. I don't think replacing the engine is needed as well. Gutting a few aspects and rewriting them may work better.

For example with what OEI did with the nwn1 engine. Gutted the rendering, pathing and other parts but kept the aspects that worked or just needed tweaking. That would not only save zots for new features but dev time as well.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

On the other hand, NWN2 did have quite a lot of problems due to being burdened with a heavily gutted and schizophrenic Aurora, no? Vague memories only...

That being said the ES series is trending downward pretty badly. I'm really curious to see if Oblivion was just a "as bad as it can get" moment for the ES series or a legitimate indicator of how Beth truly sees the series now. Personally, I think that Bethesda knows they made a really bland game in Oblivion and will bring more of Fallout 3 into Skyrim. Not that F3 is the end-all/be-all of crpgs but it's improvement over Oblivion was dramatic and impressive.

I'll already be happy if it looks and plays like Two Worlds 2, but with the added boon of better developed lore & setting.

They really need to ditch their character system, to protect the munchkins from themselves who otherwise would spend hours and hours jumping through Skyrim tossing fireballs at summoned skeletons.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

On the other hand, NWN2 did have quite a lot of problems due to being burdened with a heavily gutted and schizophrenic Aurora, no? Vague memories only...

I think Obsidz themselves said that it was a mistake and a waste of time to modify Aurora so heavily.

Walsingham said:

I think Obsidz themselves said that it was a mistake and a waste of time to modify Aurora so heavily.

JE said that in hindsight. However he might have felt that way during the main dev of nwn2 but wasn't the project lead, Ferret was, he took over after Ferret was let go. This may have been a reason Ferret was fired shortly before nwn2 shipped. The realization of that perceived error in judgment you imply. I personally never had a issue with nwn2, running it or using the tool set. So I really have nothing bad per se to say about it as it ran fine on my machine. I think a lot of issues came when folks who ran nwn1 on their box tried to run nwn2 as well on the same hardware. The hardware needed to run nwn2 was miles higher then nwn1 since nwn1 was one step removed from kings quest level FX. I thought the new engine looked wonderful with all the FX on max but perhaps I was one of those that had a good machine to run it.

Either case as a beta tester for it or player I didn't have a issue running it.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I meant it from a developer's perspective. you said that modifying gamebryo might have been a better choice, than writing a new engine. but I think dealing with a monster like gamebryo could've proven to be a major pain.

Walsingham said:

Not gonna tolerate Gamebryo engine anymore. Fallout New Vegas is great game but damn, Gamebryo is trying it's hardest to kill the fun.

On one level I agree it prob time for a new engine. OTOH the engine is so well known not just by the devs but modders. It would set the modding community back a bit with an all new engine potentially. I don't think replacing the engine is needed as well. Gutting a few aspects and rewriting them may work better.

For example with what OEI did with the nwn1 engine. Gutted the rendering, pathing and other parts but kept the aspects that worked or just needed tweaking. That would not only save zots for new features but dev time as well.

I'd be happy if they just invested a little bit of money in Animation.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I meant it from a developer's perspective. you said that modifying gamebryo might have been a better choice, than writing a new engine. but I think dealing with a monster like gamebryo could've proven to be a major pain.

It can go either way.

It's bad, and I can tell you why its bad, I just can't grasp why they've never addressed the badness. It's almost like bethesda don't give a crap.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Heres hoping the new engine is stable. In all 3 games using the Oblivion engine the game became incredibly unstable near the end. Just beat New Vegas yesterday and during the last 30 minutes of gameplay the game crashed 3 times all requiring a complete reset of my console.

Has this new engine ever been exactly defined? i.e. Is it a brand new engine built from the ground up (no assets from gamebryo used)?

Or is it a just another reworked version of gamebryo and they're trying to market it as new?

Edited by Syraxis

Or is it a just another reworked version of gamebryo and they're trying to market it as new?

my thoughts exactly :)

Walsingham said:

They really need to ditch their character system, to protect the munchkins from themselves who otherwise would spend hours and hours jumping through Skyrim tossing fireballs at summoned skeletons.

I totally agree. Although aside from the abuses, I think it would be easier to make a balanced and enjoyable game with a more standard XP/skill point char system.

Nehrim actually makes it work to some degree simply by making it much harder to increase skills.