Food

Oblarg

The thing that gets me is how unaware many people are of just how many calories are in their favorite foods. So for that, some of those food docs. are kinda useful.

As to Asian food...if it uses soy sauce, it's high in sodium. 2 tablespoons (a common number in recipes) can have 2 grams of sodium (85% of "daily" requirement). Even low-sodium versions are usually over 50% of daily. Soups are usually really bad sodium wise, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Eat meat and stay off the carbs, that's what will make the weight stay off. Starving yourself won't work, and it will also decrease your energy levels.

No, this is, simply put, bull****.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. More than that, we simply don't understand. The biochemistry is too complicated and has not been studied well enough.

Carbohydrates and fats are ultimately calorie sources. Your body burns them.

In the short-term, the only two things that matter for "health" are protein and calories.

In the long term, there are certain trace amounts of various vitamins you need. Past that, we simply don't know - why do you think the status quo for "healthy eating" changes so often? Human nutrition is really ****ing complicated, and we don't fully understand it.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

The only "dieting" that works is controlling calorie intake and exercising regularly.

Bingo.

If these are directed at me, do I need to point out that I'm not a complete **** and am aware of this?

Additionally paying attention to macros helps, and diving the calories so that you don't get hungry. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My response wasnt directed at you, I was simply agreeing with that part of his post and backing it up with a study of someone whos diet was terrible (literally eating everything we consider junk food), yet still lost weight for the sole reason of restricted caloric intake.

Eat meat and stay off the carbs, that's what will make the weight stay off. Starving yourself won't work, and it will also decrease your energy levels.

No, this is, simply put, bull****.

If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. More than that, we simply don't understand. The biochemistry is too complicated and has not been studied well enough.

Carbohydrates and fats are ultimately calorie sources. Your body burns them.

In the short-term, the only two things that matter for "health" are protein and calories.

In the long term, there are certain trace amounts of various vitamins you need. Past that, we simply don't know - why do you think the status quo for "healthy eating" changes so often? Human nutrition is really ****ing complicated, and we don't fully understand it.

This is about converting less of what you eat into fat on your body after you have lost weight. Meat is tasty and you eat less of it to get full than you do pasta and bread, and it's something that people can stick to, trying to stick to 'boring' meals after a diet usually doesn't last.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

The fact of the matter is that the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is calories eating/calories burned. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

It's conservation of mass, if you want to look at it that way.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Can you eat Coyotes? I'm neck deep in them on nights I cook on the grill. I used to fire a round in the air with my shotgun to run them off, that doesn't even phase them anymore.

Anyway, speaking of the grill I'm smoking a whole pork loin tonight.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The fact of the matter is that the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is calories eating/calories burned. If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

It's conservation of mass, if you want to look at it that way.

Unless you go into starvation mode.

It's not mathematical, but mostly it is, indeed, just a question of eating less than you consume.

And yeah, if I'm going to be (more) snappy(/ier) than usual, now you all know why.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Can you eat Coyotes? I'm neck deep in them on nights I cook on the grill. I used to fire a round in the air with my shotgun to run them off, that doesn't even phase them anymore.

I imagine it would taste pretty foul. They're carrion, right?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Barbecued is the only way I can eat most pork - it's far too dry otherwise. Smoking in general is just a really satisfying way of making food.

A while back I made a whole, untrimmed beef brisket (~17 pounds) on my kettle grill. It actually worked pretty well; I just had to constantly monitor the temperature and refuel the fire (kettle grills aren't particularly well-suited to staying at around 250 degrees, so you have to be attentive).

umm. He uses his shotgun to frighten off animal carcasses ??? Were you trying to be funny ?

I meant carrion eaters. :ermm:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 4 years later...

Well there are many ways 2 learn how to cook. U can ask your girlfriend to help you in this. it would be nice that you're doing it together.If a problem with it, then start with the basics. the same meat is better to choose the chicken, (it is easier 2 сook), add a side dish in the form of cereals and vegetables.Try to cook soups.See recipes on the Internet and look better on YouTube how to do it step by step. Good luck   ;)

:lol:  Now here is a blast from the past! They are still around too (the coyotes not the pork loin, it didn't make past the next day). But ever since I shot that big one right after this they stay away from the house.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well there are many ways 2 learn how to cook. U can ask your girlfriend to help you in this. 

Most women don't know how to cook either. 

Especially these days. 35 years ago, maybe the stereotype was a bit more true (in the US anyway). Now ...

My sister-in-law is a serious cook tho...I mean she's no gourmet but man can she put out a table. I don't know how she finds the time. Time is the biggest reason I don't like cooking anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts