Mindless Entertainment + High Quality = ???

Darkstone was an old Diablo-clone that I liked a lot. The 3D graphics were blocky (1999), & the above ground level design/texture were simplistic to say the least (the actual dungeons were better) but if you looked past that, it was a fun/mindless hack/slash game. I loved the Monk, & being able to control/play two characters at once by switching back & forth between them was kinda cool. When I finished with Diablo1 & was desperate for something similar, I played that game to death, even had a crap webpage. lol

...it might even work on XP. Hm. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Liero is so last century :D

I would say N fits the criteria on some days. Actually i started playing it because dying was so much fun, after i think it was Aurora on the Lair boards recommending it for the very same reason.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I guess I should recommend Borderlands. I'm loving it right now. Got myself a regenerating ammo repeater earlier and the game because so easy as to be hilarious. Now I have a regen pistol ammo class mod and am mowing everyone down with a quick fire shotgun revolver.

So much delicious mayhem.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Had a lvl 68 (Darkstone) Monk IIRC...the hardest difficulty was pretty darn hard, never got to 100.

(video's not mine, just shows the gameplay)

It was well supported at the time for a while too, with extra quest downloads, patches, & such. Could re-skin your chrs....*rummages in drawers*...lol had my website on disc. It dealt mostly with the seed numbers the game used to spawn stuff. Ah the good old days.

post-11552-1282687816_thumb.jpg

Edit:yeah, Borderlands is good for the category too, if you like guns. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

borderlands is very much belonging in this category. can be easily picked up and played for an hour, or for 4 hours, no really heavy thinking required.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Is there a Bubble Bobble for Windows?

The most fun and addictive co-op I remember from days past. Mindless and mindnumbing (especially the tune) but you just can't let it go when started.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bubble Bobble is even funner these days if you realize that Gears of War shamelessly copied its gameplay.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

i used to LOVE bubble bobble, that game was amazing in its day.

that, double dragon, contra... some really good co-op games on the nes...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

A new worms game comes out tomorrow.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think a good example of why I like GTA IV more is that in San Andreas I had burnout roughly 75% of the way through the main story and just stopped playing, only to come back months later to finish it off while in GTA IV & Expansions I burned through the missions ASAP to see what would happen next.

Or that's more because it's fun to mess about in SA instead of doing missions, while in IV you're bored out of your skull if you try that? They made driving so much less fun for "realism". Screw your realism, I want my fun.

IV lacked. So yeah, can't speak a good word about it, although I liked all of the 3 series (VC most though).

Not to mention GTA IV must got the worst optimalised engine EVER for a videogame. Beats Bloodlines or Gothic III hands down.

For titles:

Shooter: Painkiller (Black edition of the original, not the one mentioned before)

Race games: Split/Second: Velocity

RPG's: The Kotor games

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Or that's more because it's fun to mess about in SA instead of doing missions, while in IV you're bored out of your skull if you try that? They made driving so much less fun for "realism". Screw your realism, I want my fun.

IV lacked. So yeah, can't speak a good word about it, although I liked all of the 3 series (VC most though).

Not to mention GTA IV must got the worst optimalised engine EVER for a videogame. Beats Bloodlines or Gothic III hands down.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought the combat in GTA IV was fantastic and screwing around, runnning from the cops was so much more intense. I really hadn't felt that rush since GTA 3. The driving physics definitely took a while to get used to, but it didn't kill it at all for me and I grew to like it. I do admit that I was getting seriously PO'd during early missions when I was trying to adjust to the new driving mechanic. I'd keep sliding and crashing into buildings etc. I'm just blown away by the physics. Driving head on into another car and flying out the window or the simple joy of

:mellow: IMHO, GTA IV deserved it's perfect scores.

As for optimization, I played on 360 so no frame rate issues (Though I'm sure it doesn't look as good as a high end PC, it looks good enough for me).

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

As for optimization, I played on 360 so no frame rate issues (Though I'm sure it doesn't look as good as a high end PC, it looks good enough for me).

I can't remember any frame rate issues on the PS3 version, but the drawing distance was so bad that it would have been embarassing if there'd been any.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif