gamescom previews

They were most perplexed about the breadcrumbs trails, the combat system (they defined it a mix between a beat'em up and Fable O_o') and even the art style was too cartoon-y according to them.

EDIT : Oh, I forgot : not enough loot.

The art style was too cartoony? Weren't the two previous DS games just as cartoony? Either that or I missed the part where they looked like a "realistic" modern day shooter. I'm not sure what they mean about the combat system, though.

I'm just mentioning what they said. I personally haven't played Dungeon Siege I and II, but the colors looked a little bit more toned down. I'm not sure if that was really an art choice though.

Yes, the colors in the previous two, particularly DS1, weren't as deep/saturated looking. I'm not sure if that had more to do with graphic tech or purposeful design, either, however. Maybe some of both.

Edit:I'm more intrigued by the "not enough loot" complaint. I like lots of loot, but I also dislike too much useless filler-loot. I don't need 5-10 pieces of grey/white loot dropping from every monster, for example.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Edit:I'm more intrigued by the "not enough loot" complaint. I like lots of loot, but I also dislike too much useless filler-loot. I don't need 5-10 pieces of grey/white loot dropping from every monster, for example.

Original text:

Ovviamente, tutti i combattimenti e gli ambienti di gioco pullulano di oggetti da raccogliere ed equipaggiare. Da questo punto di vista, per quanto abbiamo potuto osservare, la quantit

Hm. So from that it sounds like they're complaining about lack of quality more than quantity, or something. I never actually thought the loot in the first two DS games was anything spectacular to begin with. It was enough to keep you looking a while but it wasn't terribly creative.

On the flip side, the drop rate of high level runes to do all that wonderful crafting in Diablo2 was, imo, ridiculously impossible for most average players. I understood it gives incentive to keep playing/hunting, but it always felt a bit too extreme. To the point if you saw someone using certain runeword items you immediately thought they were hacked.

There's a fine line between a loot/crafting system that has lots of awesome but frustratingly unrealized possibilities and one that is actually useful while playing through a game a few times. As long as the loot is useful, fun, & has at least some aspect that makes you want to keep looking for "something" for a good a while, I'm happy.

But we'll see. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My guess is, there are no random item stats, so they aren't as diverse.

Then again, I'm not a previewer.

DS1/2 had random item stats and they still didn't feel terribly diverse to me. :)

I've never been able to quite put a finger on what it was about Diablo1/Diablo2's item stat/loot system that was so terribly addicting, compared to other similar games. Maybe the thought of getting that "perfect" Ring of the Zodiac to drop....

Well, I'd honestly wait a bit before jumping to conclusions. They were, after all, showing a proof-of-concept quest, and we don't even know if there is a random loot system or if it is finalized.
I did say it's just a guess.

Obviously, every encounter and place is full of collectible loot to equip yourself with. From what we could see on this, the quantity of loot, while remaining considerable, can't be compared to the possibilities of titles like Diablo or Torchlight. It is, naturally, a necessary choice to keep Dungeon Siege III accessible to the non-hack'n'slash purists, to keep the action going and reduce the times where you have to deal with your loot and equipment.

I'm sorry for the meh translation, especially since even paraphrasing a bit, it still comes across as stilted, but at least it should convey what the previewer was trying to say (he's politely saying that he believe that Obsidian is dumbing it down).

It's strange that they are judging our amount of loot off of a demo. :)

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Obviously, every encounter and place is full of collectible loot to equip yourself with. From what we could see on this, the quantity of loot, while remaining considerable, can't be compared to the possibilities of titles like Diablo or Torchlight. It is, naturally, a necessary choice to keep Dungeon Siege III accessible to the non-hack'n'slash purists, to keep the action going and reduce the times where you have to deal with your loot and equipment.

I'm sorry for the meh translation, especially since even paraphrasing a bit, it still comes across as stilted, but at least it should convey what the previewer was trying to say (he's politely saying that he believe that Obsidian is dumbing it down).

It's strange that they are judging our amount of loot off of a demo. :o

As I've already said before, they didn't seem impressed with the changes from the Dungeon Siege formula and with the fact that the game is multiplatform.

EDIT : Wasn't Champions of Norrath a pretty unsuccessful game overall? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

EDIT : Wasn't Champions of Norrath a pretty unsuccessful game overall? Or am I confusing it with something else?

It was successful enough to spawn a sequel Champions: Return to Arms.

I actually liked CoN pretty well, personally; it was like a better version of what Snowblind had done with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. The sequel delivers more of the same, but IMO if you liked the original there's no reason not to like CRtA (unless you were wanting something radically different).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

(he's politely saying that he believe that Obsidian is dumbing it down).

I can't believe people say that. It's Dungeon Siege we're talking about here, for crying out loud! Even if they tried to dumb it down further, they would just bounce against the bottom of the dumbing-down barrel where the previous two Dungeon Siege games resided! IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DUMB IT DOWN ANY FURTHER.

Geez.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

(he's politely saying that he believe that Obsidian is dumbing it down).

I can't believe people say that. It's Dungeon Siege we're talking about here, for crying out loud! Even if they tried to dumb it down further, they would just bounce against the bottom of the dumbing-down barrel where the previous two Dungeon Siege games resided! IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DUMB IT DOWN ANY FURTHER.

Geez.

I tend to agree. It's not possible to make the game any more "streamlined" than it already was in its previous iterations. Unless you simply have the game play itself while you sit there eating popcorn from beginning to end.

Even that, DS1 almost did.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

A tweet from David Hoffman

[The treat for the DS3 fans] is almost done. Just had to put some finishing touches on it

and no DS3 at SE's Tokyo Game Show 2010 line-up (but Deus Ex: HR, Front Mission Evolved, Mindjack and Fallout: New Vegas are in)

Edited by funcroc

G4: Nathaniel Chapman and Chris Taylor interview

G4: What's new about Dungeon Siege 3 that you're showing here at Gamescom?

Chris Taylor: What's new is we're showing an improved version of the game from the one we showed at E3. We are showing co-op multiplayer, our drop-in / drop-out co-op multiplayer. We're showing our ability system, where every character class has two stances they can swap between, each of which has three different abilities. There's also a defensive stance, which also gives you access to other abilities, so you've got nine different abilities on top of all your attacks.

We're showing off the Causeway, which is our fast travel solution. It's kind of a cool interplanetary road network that was built by the 10th Legion. So that's what you'll use to get between the distant locations in the game. We have a seamless, no load screen experience, just like Dungeon Siege 1, so you go from beginning to end without a single load screen. That's the majority of what we're showing here.