Facebook is giving me the ****s

Humodour

I had a Facebook once. Then I kicked it to the curb. I have found no reason to miss it or to go back.

I remember the days when spending your life on the internet was considered nerdy and made you a social pariah.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I have a facebook. I consider everything I post everywhere to be public; FB is no exception. I mean, why do I care if advertisers see that I'm ****ing ecstatic about the Dream Team?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I remember the days when spending your life on the internet was considered nerdy and made you a social pariah.

That's the fascinating thing about stuff like facebook and youtube and Apple's products.

Suddenly IT people are cool and respected.

Hey, I'm not complaining.

My family still thinks I'm nerdy. They're probably debating the social pariah part. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've never really bought into the whole social networking thing apart from perhaps posting here.

The revelation that the folks behind Facebook and Google were, after all, rapacious capitalists isn't surprising. They might work in futuristic bubble-offices serving free macrobiotic mung-bean smoothies whilst having brilliant ideas during unicycle sessions... but they still want to sell your personal data to whoever is prepared to pay for it.

One day we'll all laugh at the notion that Google was a benevolent entity.

sonsofgygax.JPG

LOL@ Monte.

Been talking to a customer service department or something?

The profit motive doesn't necessitate being a royal ****. Benevolence might be stretching things. But there are such things as business models based on full disclosure, worker empowerment, and sustained customer relationships. They are complex, and need good people in charge of them. But they can and do exist, because they make money, and the people playing their game enjoy it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

I don't have Facebook, personally.

That's the fascinating thing about stuff like facebook and youtube and Apple's products.

Suddenly IT people are cool and respected.

Hey, I'm not complaining.

Nah, spending an excessive amount of time on the internet always has been and always will be considered nerdy, doesn't matter if you're King bloody Kong.

Having said that, I only know one person who has no email address, MSN, AIM, Facebook, or is part of any social networking website or forum. You can only contact him by phone or in person. It

Google has a giant slide in their main building. From the 5th floor your choices are the stairs or the slide.

Just thought I'd share.

Do you have the schematics? If so, can you share them? :shifty:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

LOL@ Monte.

Been talking to a customer service department or something?

The profit motive doesn't necessitate being a royal ****. Benevolence might be stretching things. But there are such things as business models based on full disclosure, worker empowerment, and sustained customer relationships. They are complex, and need good people in charge of them. But they can and do exist, because they make money, and the people playing their game enjoy it.

Yeah, Monte's post was a bit out of the blue. I dunno what caused his personal vendetta against Google, but his rant against them doesn't mesh with my perception of them or dealings with them.

Being a capitalist company doesn't necessitate being rapacious or only caring about profit. Especially not when altruism and generating profit go hand in hand, or the altruism doesn't much alter your profit-making.