Odd Thought

You know the argument that parents use videogames as a babysitter? And that's why they get so mahdi if the games violate tehir preconceptions about what is appropriate eg violence etc?

It just occurred to me to wonder what things would be like if games had the similar exposure effects but were real people babysitters rather than games? What kind of person would each game be, and what would you come back to find them doing to amuse the kids?

Would you come back to Duke Nukem to find your kids being taught how to chew gum, and kicking a large pig around the living room?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What kind of person would GoW would be? Definitely not one I would leave with children.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I guess that rape-simulation game would be the worst choice

Sweet Jesus. I hadn't thought of that. but then I don't think most parents would leave a kid with that kind of game.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd like to hire Samus as a babysitter, then I could pull a Jude Law :brows:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I'd trust Commander Shephard with my child.

I'd give them something like Portal. Gets them thinking.

Fun fact, my seven year old brother once beat a Portal level before I did.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Fun fact, my seven year old brother once beat a Portal level before I did.

I'm pretty sure that younger siblings have some magical power that allows them to notice things in games that the rest of us just gloss right over. My brother does it all the time. :brows:

Adventure games are the best games for kids. It teaches them to think and they can enjoy a good story at the same time. There's already enough violent crap on television.

the harder question is which is the best adventure game for a kid to start on...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Adventure games are the best games for kids. It teaches them to think and they can enjoy a good story at the same time. There's already enough violent crap on television.

the harder question is which is the best adventure game for a kid to start on...

One that can be accused of having logical puzzles.

I'd trust Commander Shephard with my child.

I'd give them something like Portal. Gets them thinking.

I dunno tho. You'd probably come home to find the back of the microwave off, and the cat stuck through one child's kneecap.

-Elwood Blues

Leisure Suit Larry, obviously.

Seriously, the guy is a total buffoon, ugly as a sin, but in spite of this he has never been known to have needed to do any actual work, and scores regularly. What more could you ask for?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'd let pretty much any game designed by Tim Schafer to be my kids' babysitter. At worst, they'd develop a sense of humor. At best..... well, my imagination is not that rich. :brows:

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Worst babysitter: minesweeper.

Boring AND deadly.

-Elwood Blues

I don't really get the humor.

You're a parent. It's like dead baby jokes - they stop being funny once you have a kid.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I don't really get the humor.

You're a parent. It's like dead baby jokes - they stop being funny once you have a kid.

They were once funny?! :p and i'm not even a father.

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

Oh come on. What about the one with the goalkeeper?

-Elwood Blues

My favorite is the one with the microwave.

:(

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

You guys know way too many of these "jokes". I think we should stop hanging out for a while :(

village_idiot.gif