New XCOM game

I see the hype machine is all ready sucking people headfirst into its gaping maw.

It's a solid developer tackling a classic IP, I'm not sure why it shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. I'll save my skepticism for Jagged Alliance 3.

I see the hype machine is all ready sucking people headfirst into its gaping maw.

It's a solid developer tackling a classic IP, I'm not sure why it shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. I'll save my skepticism for Jagged Alliance 3.

All games sound great when first announced. Very few great games are ever released. Where does all the greatness go?

Perhaps the same place as all my vanished socks.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Like a blob of black goo...

Hey, leave World of Goo

(or Gish)

out of this!

Guess they finally got around to reskinning Bioshock. Took them a while.

Edited by Purkake

I never played any X-COM game, so I don't give a **** about canon.

I'll judge the game on it's own merits, and knowing it's from the talent behind the excellent SWAT 4 expansion, TribesV and FFvs3rdReich, I'm quite confident they will pull off a great game.

Haters gonna hate though.

Edited by Morgoth

I never played any X-COM game, so I don't give a **** about canon.

XCOM has no canon.

It has autocannons though.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The real joke is that the X-COM "canon" isn't worth anything. This might just as well be another-shooter-with-RPG-elements-in-a-weirdish-environment-from-the-Bioshock-guys and not lose a single sale.

At least you can't really screw up the X-COM canon, not after Enforcer. It's like taking the canon from Pacman and making a FPS based on it.

Slowtrain is like my doppelganger. We have the same tastes and interests, but I am overly optomistic and he is eternally pessimistic. It creates a good balance in the world.

lol. I never thought of it that way, but yeah.

I look in the mirror and see Hurlshot, except backwards.

You're such a spoilsports. And there I thought I'm the pessimist here...

Pessimist? Maybe.

Once upon a time I was bright eyed and bushy-tailed and full of hope and eternal something.

But then Invisible War, and that was that.

Pessimism is always the wisest course.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How strange. When I look in the mirror I see a bemused penguin with hair.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How strange. When I look in the mirror I see a bemused penguin with hair.

A suitable avatar for you then, sir.

Was that supposed to be related to X-Com somehow? >_

I guess the jury will have to wait until the first gameplay videos appear so we can see the game mechanics.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Some realities are better than others >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ok, which one of you guys rubbed the lamp three times? :w00t:

That wasn't a lamp. :w00t:

Anyway, although I'm disappointed by how the 1950s seem to dominate all styling at the moment, I have to concede that in terms of fighting aliens it kind of works. Personally I think they should have gone with the 1980s.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That wasn't a lamp. :w00t:

Anyway, although I'm disappointed by how the 1950s seem to dominate all styling at the moment, I have to concede that in terms of fighting aliens it kind of works. Personally I think they should have gone with the 1980s.

Indeed. It just oozes intellectual laziness when you revitalize an old game, and change the aesthetics for what is "in" right now.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy