NHL

Gorth

And, chip in offensively. Plays great defense espicially on the PK. A solid prescense on the power play espciially in front of goalie. A guy who compltely and utterly destroyed one of the greatest goalies' ever pysche so much to the point that it was the reason why teh team advanced. Obviously a 'goalie' is more important overall since a goalie playing bad or good can be the difference while as good (or bad) as Avery is he's one of 18 skaters.

Chip in offensively? The guy had 2 points (assists, no less) in his last 6 playoff games. That's hardly chipping in. He's an okay defensive player, but defense is about disapline (something the guy lacks - look at his PIMs). He's alright in front of the net (although ever since they gave him his own rule I guess not hahahaha!).

So, basically, Avery is good for one thing. getting in the head of opposing players, and while that is certainly an important role on any team (everyone has a pest) he's far from great. he's a mediocre forward who is good at being annoying. *shrug*

Medicore? Medicore?

I wonder what you think of Drury who is paid more, played more games, likely gets more ice time, has a mistaken rep of being clutch (yet only had 1 GWG this season which is the same amount as Avery did) yet scored exactly 3 more goals than the guy you called 'medicore'.

Avery is not the best player ever, but medicore? That's just plain baloney with no facts to back it up.

As for your 'PIMS = poor defense' is silly since many of the ebst defensive players alsom get lots of penalties. Oh, I guess Chris Pronger is horrible at defense, right? Come on, now.

"The guy had 2 points (assists, no less) in his last 6 playoff games."

I guess Thornton, Heatley, and Marleau all suck then right?

I guess Crosby is horrible as well because he was -2 with no points in the last game.

I guess Hasek was a terrible goalie because his last playoffs with detroit were subpar?

Don't be silly basing someone's talent on 6 silly games.

Avery > Bryz

Bryz had a worse GAA and save% than his team's back up so how worthwhile is he really when the back up is better? L0L

Just comapre it to other ace goalies who actually do have significantly better stats than their backups. See Buffalo's Miller and Detroit's Howard, or Boston's Rask. Case closed.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Medicore? Medicore?"

Is that some kind of death metal?

"nder what you think of Drury who is paid more, played more games, likely gets more ice time, has a mistaken rep of being clutch (yet only had 1 GWG this season which is the same amount as Avery did) yet scored exactly 3 more goals than the guy you called 'medicore'."

They're both nothing special (Drury once was, but I'll admit he's on the downside of his career, in his prime drury > avery)

"As for your 'PIMS = poor defense' is silly since many of the ebst defensive players alsom get lots of penalties. Oh, I guess Chris Pronger is horrible at defense, right? Come on, now."

False. Many of the best defensive defensmen pile up PIMs, sure, but most good defensive forwards shouldn't. take a look at guys like Zetterburg and Datsyuk. Or John Madden.

"The guy had 2 points (assists, no less) in his last 6 playoff games."

I guess Thornton, Heatley, and Marleau all suck then right?

Right. They certainly aren't doing their job - i'm sure hurlshot will vouch for that.

"I guess Crosby is horrible as well because he was -2 with no points in the last game."

Crosby also has 14 points in 6 games?

I guess Hasek was a terrible goalie because his last playoffs with detroit were subpar?

In that playoff series he wasn't good. I really don't see what you're getting at here.

I'm a huge Avery fan, but the guy is still a third line player. He's one of the better energy players out there, but he's only playing 15 minutes a game on a good night. There are a lot of guys out there like him, the Sharks have Scott Nichol.

Bryz is a top 10 goalie right now, he's even up for a Vezina. This argument will be less absurd if Avery ever gets nominated for a major award.

And Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton have expressed disappointment in their own performances so far, so that pretty much sums that up.

"I'm a huge Avery fan, but the guy is still a third line player."

2nd line.

" He's one of the better energy players out there, but he's only playing 15 minutes a game on a good night."

15 minutes is not bad as a forward since top forwards tend to play 20ish minutes a game. 15 minutes is nothing to be shamed about. Also, it should be pointed out,t hat he does this despite having a crybaby coach (who should be fired) who clearly hates him and does everything to sabotage both Avery and the team.

" There are a lot of guys out there like him, the Sharks have Scott Nichol. "

Define 'a lot'.

"Bryz is a top 10 goalie right now, he's even up for a Vezina."

Not impressed. He's arguably - by the stats - not even the best goalie on his own team. The backup has better gAA and S% playing with the same defense. I wouldn't put Bryz in the top. All you have to do is look at his two fellow Vezina nominees to show why he's overrated. Both of them have way better stats than their back ups. Well, in Rask's case not so much back up since they split games (because Rask stole the startiing job). While Miller - as much as I pick on him - is the main reason why BUF is as good as they. Phoenix's reason for being as good as theya re is coaching not goaltending. Plain, and simple.

"This argument will be less absurd if Avery ever gets nominated for a major award."

In this biased league, it won't happen.

"And Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton have expressed disappointment in their own performances so far, so that pretty much sums that up."

PC garbage meant to please the pathetic fans. They did well enough to dominate their opponent, and advance to the 2nd round? Shoudln't the team success come first? I mean, Ovechkin has his share of his points in this series, and it's clear WSH is better than MTL but they still may end up losing. And, guess what? All people will talk about is how Ovechkin 'choked' ala last playoffs when his team lost in 7 games vs PIt despite him doing everything and then some for them. *shrug*

SJ is in 2nd round. That's all that matters.

Edited by Volourn

New coach for Krookies team next year...again.

And it sucks for me that Buffalo is out. 'Let's go Buffalo' is one of my favorite battle cries. There isn't really a team in the east that has a catchy phrase like that. 'Beat those chaps, Caps' just isn't the same.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

New coach for Krookies team next year...again.

And it sucks for me that Buffalo is out. 'Let's go Buffalo' is one of my favorite battle cries. There isn't really a team in the east that has a catchy phrase like that. 'Beat those chaps, Caps' just isn't the same.

beat those chaps ahahahhahahaha

and can't say I'm to depressed to see the devils getting a new coach. the question really is if kovy is gonna stay

It's a great game. I recommend watching it! Unless you wanna be like that guy who frequents this thread and makes arguments why Bryzgalov isn't better than his backup goalie because he read a stats list.. WATCH THE ****ING GAME INSTEAD.

Edited by Gorth
More ice hockey, less bait

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm almost starting to feel sorry for Bryzgalov. They're absolutely peppering him with shots! He's been tremendous, yet has had to surrender three goals.

"It's a great game. I recommend watching it! Unless you wanna be like that guy who frequents this thread and makes arguments why Bryzgalov isn't better than his backup goalie because he read a stats list.. WATCH THE ****ING GAME INSTEAD. "

I'm impressed with his team losing 3-1. I'd rather watch Montreal's Halak who isa superior goaltender and literally stole a game and maybe a serious. Bryz is a good goalie; but he's not one of the best. He'd be lucky to be a top 10 goalie amongst the the 16 playoff goalie goalies. Heck, half the teams that missed the playoffs have goalies as good as he is or better.

Phoenix's success is 99% of their coach.

P.S. I've watched exactly 1 minute of this game tonight (because it's probably the most boring series this side of BOS-BUF) and he gave up a goal during the sequence.

Edited by Gorth
That goes for you too

That's a heartbreaker for the Coyotes right there.

They forced a game 7 against the team that reached the finals in the last two years. They are young and should be able to build on this for next year. You know, the usual cliches :)

But seriously, they made this series way closer than I thought it would be.

The heartbreaker I was referring to was the 4-1 goal for Detroit. That pretty much sealed the deal.

Phoenix would have been this years playoff Cinderella story if they would have made it through.

I wonder how the Sharks will fare against Detroit. It's a great opportunity for a certain elite center to silence his critics.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yeah. The problem is that he's up against two elite centers in Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see which team shows up tonight for Washington: the team that was humiliated by the Pens in last years game seven against Pittsburgh or the team that snuck by the Rangers in their game seven last year.

Wow. I'm beginning to get a slight feeling that Ovechkin may not be a big games guy..

I'm not blaming the loss on him (Semin, Green, B

"Wow. I'm beginning to get a slight feeling that Ovechkin may not be a big games guy"

Kiddin' right? The guy showed up just fine. Let's not forget he did get an assist tonight. Ovechkin had 10 points in 7 games - nothing to be shamed about. backstrom was fine. Green, and Semin are the guys underperformed here.What's funny is people keep saying that the Caps were 'more than just ovechkinm' yet i cotninue to see no proof of this. but hey, Washington's biggest problem is they need a real #1.

btw, guys, Halak showed that overrated Bryzgalov how to perform in big games. Bryzgalov. L0L 'Finalist for vezina'. What a joke.

Montreal did not beat Washington. Halak didn't. I lauigh at the idiocy of the annoucners who try to give the credit to the Canadiens' defense which played horribly. yeagh, they got a lot of 'blocked shots' but many of those were of the weak variety and it's easy to pile up block shots when the other team always has the puck.

HALAK over WASHINGTON 4 games to 3.

Caps will be fine... once, they get a goalie.

Crap. I will never ever ever predict a sweep against a team again. Argh it pains me to say something nice about Les Habs, but credit to Montreal and Halak. They stepped up when it mattered most. That puts me at an even 4-4 in 1st round predictions. Yeesh.

EDIT: May as well get the second round predictions out of the way.

San Jose vs Detroit. Before game seven against Phoenix, someone on TSN pointed out that since the Coyotes last won a playoff round (as the Jets), the Wings have won 33. That's just... wow. Still, it's time for someone else to get a turn. Sharks did me proud in the 1st round, giving me my only correct 'number of games' prediction. Sharks in 6.

Vancouver vs Chicago. I did say Chicago would roll into the 3rd round, and I'm still feeling 'meh' about the Canucks, but I'll keep cheering them on til they lose. Canucks in 7.

Philly vs Boston. I really really really wanna say Philly in 6, but without Gagne and Carter, and the way Rask is playing... ahem, excuse me... DAMN YOU JFJ!!!!1!1!1... sorry, had to get that out of the way... the way Rask is playing, Philly's gonna have a tough time scoring goals. Plus Boston will have Savard back. Boston in 6.

Pittsburgh vs Montreal. I was hoping to see Pens/Bruins to watch Matt Cooke get destroyed. Maybe next round. Pens in 6.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Crap. I will never ever ever predict a sweep against a team again. Argh it pains me to say something nice about Les Habs, but credit to Montreal and Halak. They stepped up when it mattered most.

That puts me at an even 4-4 in 1st round predictions. Yeesh.

I'm 4 for 4 as well, but I feel slightly positive about it. I'm pretty sure that's better than I usually do.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Results from the first round:

Hurlshot: 7-1

Mkreku: 6-2

Deraldin: 5-3

Krookie: 5-3

Volourn: 5-3

Kor Qel Droma: 4-4

Kelverin: 4-4

Mr. Insomniac: 4-4

A few notes. No one picked the Habs to beat the Caps. Buffalo and New Jersey were the next biggest causes of losing predictions.

So what is it going to be next round?