NHL

Gorth

Aw crap. I thought I had until Friday to make my picks for round two. I didn't realize that the Detroit / San Jose series was starting so soon.

The east:

Montreal vs Pittsburgh: Like the last series, Halak will steal a few games for Les Habitants. However, the Pens are more than capable of solving a hot goaltender. Over in 6.

Flyers vs Boston: This is a tough one to pick. My feeling is that Philly will bodycheck the Bruins into submission. This one will go to seven games.

The West:

San Jose vs Detroit: It would be nice for the Sharks to upset the Wings, but until Joltin' Joe shows up for the playoffs, I just don't see it happening. Wings in 5.

Chicago vs Vancouver: To me, this is the series to watch. The Hawks are most likely to win this one, but Vancouver gets my vote due to some weird sense of patriotism. 'Nucks in seven.

Looking at my picks, I can easily see myself going 0-4. May the luck lords shine on me!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Ok, hopefully I can stay hot.

East:

Pittsburgh over Montreal in 6 - The Pens look like they are rolling. Halak might steal a game or two.

Boston over Philly in 7 - This is a hard one, but I've always been a Bruins fan. Marco Sturm will get a game winner in OT at some point.

West:

San Jose over Detroit in 6 - I'm not going to say anything about how the Sharks have overcome their post-season issues. I think they are a deeper team than they have been in the past, I think they can play physical and I think they will get a lot of shots on Howard. I think Detroit is more vulnerable than they have been in the last couple years as well.

Chicago over Vancouver in 6 - I really am surprised by the play of Luongo, he will need to dominant to beat the Hawks and he hasn't shown that ability in the post-season.

Seeing Hurlshot's record in the first round, maybe I should have waited to make my predictions :)

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"While Halak did indeed come up big, I fail to see what his success has to do with Bryzgalov."

Look deeper.

ROUND 2 PREDICTIONS

----------------------------

1. PIT vs MTL: Sorry, MTL, your luck runs out here. One dimensional teams that only win ebcause of the goalie tend to ultimiately fail (unless that goalie is Patrick Roy). PIT, unlike WSH, has TWO bonafied superstars. PIT in 5 as Halak manages to steal one.

2. BOS vs PHI: Pronger > Chara... but Bruins have the better goalie, and they aren't crippled... still, I tend to avoid betting against the best defenseman in the league when at all possible. PHI in 7.

3. SJ vs DET: DET is not the same team as the back to back finalist. No Hossa, weaker goalie, and not a shungry as the Sharks will be. Still, betting against the Wings is a dangerous propisition but it's worth the risk. SJ in 7.

4. VAN vs CHI: Outside of the Sedins, and Luongo, VAN is an overrated team. CHI has oodles of power. Plus, they got Hossa who is looking for his 3rd straight finals appearance with a 3rd different team. CHI in 6.

Edited by Gorth
Part of general thread pruning

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

oh yeah, I mean to post these. not sure if these "history will be made" commercials are on in your countries, but they are f**king awesome.

halak:

datsyuk:

these are my favorites, the halak one might be fan-made, but either way it gives me chills

Edited by Krookie

San Jose vs. Detroit: If the Wings can play like they did in game seven against the Coyotes.. Wings in 7.

Chicago vs. Vancouver: My hope is with the twins. Vancouver in 6!

Montreal vs. Pittsburgh: I think Montreal burnt all they got on the Caps. Pens in 5.

Flyers vs. Boston: The Flyers played so well against the Devils, and I didn't see a single Boston game, so.. Flyers in 6.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

oh yeah, I mean to post these. not sure if these "history will be made" commercials are on in your countries, but they are f**king awesome.

halak:

datsyuk:

these are my favorites, the halak one might be fan-made, but either way it gives me chills

Both of them are official. They're on the NHL website. I saw the Datsyuk one last night while watching the Habs game and it took me a moment to realize that it was a brand new commercial made from this past round. I didn't think they'd update them in the middle of the playoffs. There was a fan made one for Plekanec right after the first game, but that's the only other one that I've seen.

Second round predictions.

Eastern Conference:

Pittsburgh vs Montreal: I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I can't bring myself to go with the Habs. Pens in 6.

Boston vs Philadelphia: The Flyers are all banged up and Boston is getting back Savard. Bruins in 6.

Western Conference:

San Jose vs Detroit: One of these years, San Jose will actually win the cup and no one will believe it. Until that time, I'll remain a disbeliever. Wings in 6.

Chicago vs Vancouver: Definitely going to watch the series! Two highest scoring teams in the west? It's going to be close. Canucks go the distance in 7.

Montreal scored a second "History will be made" commercial with Cammalleri's goal yesterday afternoon.

Pavelski has one for San Jose. I wonder of Clowe will get one for his goal in game 2.

Also, Boston managed to take a 2-0 lead over Philadelphia tonight. :grin:

Edited by Deraldin

Thread pruned a bit. Sometimes people just can't give it a rest. Ah well, no rest for the wicked...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Great day for hockey today woot. SJ now with a stranglehold on the series. Hopefully they can finish off the Wings.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Great day for hockey today woot. SJ now with a stranglehold on the series. Hopefully they can finish off the Wings.

I was pretty excited, to say the least. Thornton has really found his game in this series, he's making the big plays when it matters most.

I was pretty excited, to say the least. Thornton has really found his game in this series, he's making the big plays when it matters most.

Yup. No one can say anymore that Thornton and Marleau don't come through when it counts.

My first reaction upon opening this thread was "Wat?!" Detroit was leading 3-1 last I say the game and now I find out that they lost 4-3 for the third time in a row? Damn it SJ! You're supposed to choke in the playoffs, not mount comebacks! :thumbsup:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand Detroit lets everyone know they're not done yet. ouch.

I shouldn't be surprised by Vancouver's less-than-spectacular play in this round. They did the same thing last year, although they don't have the excuse of a ten day layoff between rounds this time.

Pens took game five by a score of 2-1. Montreal didn't score until a powerplay with 30 seconds left. Came really close to tying it up three times in the last 30 seconds, but couldn't get it past Fluery again. Crosby is so snake-bit against Montreal that he missed an empty netter in the dying seconds for his first goal.

Montreal forces game 7!

I'm so very happy, yet at the same time so very, very nervous. I have to sit through another game! I don't know if I can take much more of this. Hopefully Gill is ready to return for game seven. He skated in the warm-up, but didn't play in the game. Apparently tickets for the game from scalpers were going for $1500. ;)

Let's go Habs!