I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

Just finished my 2nd run with renagade Shepard (import from ME) and end sequence

I didn't blow up whole structure

was - Harbringer speaks "You have failed" "We'll find another way" Collector General raises head and look directly at Reaper holograp - "releasing control" and collector is free from control. It turns and see the massive explosion.

My impression was that the whole "You have failed, we will find another way" was being said to Shepherd .. Kind of like the big bad doing the "Mwah-Hah-Hah Hah, you think this has stopped me? You fool!" monologue .

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My impression was that the whole "You have failed, we will find another way" was being said to Shepherd .. Kind of like the big bad doing the "Mwah-Hah-Hah Hah, you think this has stopped me? You fool!" monologue .

That could be possible, but Shepards ship is already beyond blast range at that point. Maybe Reapers like monologues :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

[off topic]

I find it amusing how much people like to talk about the story in ME, like it's somesort of grand literature :p

[/off topic]

Yeah its like they keep on trying to fill a chasm with a kids toy spade.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

[off topic]

I find it amusing how much people like to talk about the story in ME, like it's somesort of grand literature :p

[/off topic]

Yeah its like they keep on trying to fill a chasm with a kids toy spade.

If you find yourself in a ditch without your phone, watch and your money, you can just as well think how fun you had last night. Oh the wonders of human mind.

ME2 is far from deep and mature, but atleast it's

:p

Just finished my first playthrough yesterday, and I pretty much agree that

Harbringer is a reaper, because once the mission is over and Shepard talks to TIM, he says "Harbringer is coming" when he talks to the crew.

Also, how do you get Legion to breakdance?

Edited by vault_overseer

You don't have to do anything. Literally. You have to stand there not doing any actions and after a short pause, he'll start doing "The Robot".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Because it's Bioware.

Bingo.

Seriously, it's what Bioware always has done. The fans just couldn't handle a depressing and devastating end.

I know I couldn't. I don't play games to fail and die at the end. I'll leave that to real life. I play games to "do" things that matter in my little game universe, things that make me feel exhilarated, needed, valiant... and heroic. I don't want a game to mirror life; I want a game to give me an adventure I could never otherwise have, and I want the satisfaction of accomplishment when it's over.

I'm glad BioWare doesn't do "emo" games. I'm well past the age where I want to wear black lipstick and get a skeleton tatooed on my ass. :thumbsup:

bio makes heroic stories for their games, and they is unapologetic 'bout it. they is also believing that the vast majority o' their customers want happily ever after.

fine.

even so, we thinks that bio missed a great opportunity with game 2. not only does we have less heroic sacrifice than in game 1, but there is no genuine cliff-hanger to build up anticipation for game 3. shepard always wins. virtual every hero story worth mentioning has the hero lose at some point, but not shepard... or any other crpg protagonist. is a flaw. end o' game 2 woulda' been the ideal spot to inject a little heroic failure into the mass effect epic, but bio predictably passed on such an option.

*shrug*

not need emo, but heroic ain't particular heroic if there ain't without obstacles and sacrifice. if the hero always wins the obstacles will seems small... and without sacrifice a hero is a bit cartoony, no? getting spaced and dying at the start o' the me2 story is a nice enough way to start, but the player ain't genuine part o' that, is he/she... is all happening remote and the emotional impact is relative small. have an empire strikes back ending for me2? why the heck not? the fans who not like such an ending would hardly boycott me3, and am betting you would get overwhelming positive critical feedback for breaking the typical crpg mold.

in any event, is terrible that we see less sacrifice in me2 than we saw in me1... bio backsliding when they had an ideal opportunity to go to next step and possibly incorporate personal sacrifice.

oh well.

not need emo to be heroic... but heroic without loss and sacrifice? lame.

HA! Good Fun!

ps when we says "personal sacrifice" we ain't asking for player death. death is actual kinda easy. a minor but genuine personal disability v. permanent loss o' crew member? am betting that such a choice would makes more than a few folks stare blank at screen for a minute or two as they ponder the ramifications.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Most Bio games have called for some sacrifice... sometimes mandatory (Kaidan/Ashley), sometimes optional (DA:O). I simply wouldn't be happy with a game that had a "devastating and depressing" ending no matter how the player played the game.

As for ME2, I have purchased the game but haven't played it yet, so please don't take my remarks in the context of ME2 at all. Until I've actually played it, I obviously don't have a basis for opinion or comparison. When I have done so, I may indeed agree with your specific thoughts about that specific game. As it is, I was just being general in my preferences.

am gonna apologize to Di and anybody else that we spoiled with our posts... am forgetting that many people have not played and our commentary is frequent spoilerish in nature. am genuine regretful that we has not been more careful.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Because its childishly simplistic and unimaginative. The alien/fantasy race is usually a human society frozen in some sort of pre-defined characteristics. Star Trek is the worst example.

Its also often anthropocentric with humans being capable of everything, and the most reasonable and sensible of the lot.

I think the Geth are a cool invention, the only really alien race in ME. Of course the self aware AI hive mind has been done before, but this is a well thought out idea nonetheless. Particularily the convincing hardware software deal, which just proves that personal experience (of the devs in this case) nets the best ideas.

The Geth are just really small emotionless humans with direct brain to brain ftl communication and a democracy where only 100% votes count.

Really, view Legion as a spaceship with humans onboard who need to get consensus before the spaceship can go anywhere.

It's a collective in a sense like we humans are. Individual decision based on shared information yet every individual retains it's own perspective. Their communication is more effective and more efficient, they lack our emotions but have other drives and of course have a modular configuration (individual Geth programs make up Geth runtimes who make decisions), but in the end they are not very different from us.

Edited by Chrisimo

Because its childishly simplistic and unimaginative. The alien/fantasy race is usually a human society frozen in some sort of pre-defined characteristics. Star Trek is the worst example.

Its also often anthropocentric with humans being capable of everything, and the most reasonable and sensible of the lot.

I think the Geth are a cool invention, the only really alien race in ME. Of course the self aware AI hive mind has been done before, but this is a well thought out idea nonetheless. Particularily the convincing hardware software deal, which just proves that personal experience (of the devs in this case) nets the best ideas.

The Geth are just really small emotionless humans with direct brain to brain ftl communication and a democracy where only 100% votes count.

Really, view Legion as a spaceship with humans onboard who need to get consensus before the spaceship can go anywhere.

It's a collective in a sense like we humans are. Individual decision based on shared information yet every individual retains it's own perspective. Their communication is more effective and more efficient, they lack our emotions but have other drives and of course have a modular configuration (individual Geth programs make up Geth runtimes who make decisions), but in the end they are not very different from us.

Lol I'm aware of that, but they still have a nice twist on a standard sci fi idea. Unlike the Turians, Salarians or the worst of all - Krogan (illiterate Klingons :lol:) .

I'm still not sure whether Legion grafting on Shepard's armor was brilliant or completely out of place.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I'm still not sure whether Legion grafting on Shepard's armor was brilliant or completely out of place.

Just another way to make children feel special, nothing else.

Turian_without_armor.jpg

Got a look at this on the ME Wiki... and now I can't stand looking at Garrus. This is one sex scene that should simply not be animated.

EDIT: Also, if Bioware wanted to make a more "alien" race, they could have just gone with something gigantic yet sentient and definitely no humanoid.

No quarians, sorry, but I really hope they look more like this:

ec0f0c57ffc26c7f77970f90ef9c2735.png

Also here's a salarian for your viewing pleasure.

Salarian_Anatomy.jpg

Also, apparently Elcors are powerful and large enough to carry weapons used on Alliance military vehicles. Now *that* is something I want to see in Mass Effect 3. Blasto the Hanar can go cry in a corner - an Elcor Spectre would just keep a tank cannon on him, much more badass.

An Asari should be posted to compensate for this horror.

Or maybe a Krogan.

Forget Asari.

All you need is Tali

masseffect05-thumb1.jpg

;(:wub: :wub:

manthing2.jpg

am gonna apologize to Di and anybody else that we spoiled with our posts... am forgetting that many people have not played and our commentary is frequent spoilerish in nature. am genuine regretful that we has not been more careful.

No apology needed for me (although I realize others are reading this thread). Any time I read threads on games I haven't yet played I expect that I will get a "feel" for the game... and sometimes more. Your post really didn't enlighten me much on the potential endings. Besides...

I love strategy guides and can't stand not to read the "spoilers", because I'm just so damned nosey!!

'Tis my own fault! :shifty:

After reading a bit about the Vanguard's mass murder capability, I decided to start a NG+ and check it out (edited my boring Sentinel and changed his class).

Most fun class to play, ever. To those of you who say Charge is useless: you're doing it wrong.

(that's not me, just showcasing what a somewhat intelligent use of Charge can do).

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Vanguard official video was a lie! It seemed to suggest you could use it to run away in a "tactical" capacity. Yeah, right. You can only use it to charge at bogies. And because its damage is zip, you're just offering your head on a platter. Unless, I'm doing it wrong...

Also, what's the deal with the whole Shepard-Wrex meme?

manthing2.jpg

YMIR, have Miranda/Garrus soften it up a bit with Overload, then hit it with a couple missiles, then CHARGE! once its defenses are weakened enough. I just did Jack's recruitment mission... my quickest run yet. You need to be careful though as charging a YMIR will leave you vulnerable to remaining mobs, though.

Packs of Krogan, depends on what defenses they have. If there's a boss, have Miranda Warp his barrier, load up your Inferno ammo (or even better, Tungsten), and Charge the hell out of him. With the Claymore, you can one-shot (+melee) pretty much anyone in this game... unless they have multiple protections.

Charging the first idiot to come around the corner WILL get you killed, though - I learned this the hard way. You need to plan ahead, and choose carefully who to charge, focusing on the weakest mobs first.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You can only use it to charge at bogies. And because its damage is zip, you're just offering your head on a platter. Unless, I'm doing it wrong...
Charge damage is negligible. You only use it to get in their faces and land headshots with the bullet time bonus of Heavy Charge. And, um, to replenish your shields after you get hit by return fire from the (now dead) victim's friends.

You can only use it to charge at bogies. And because its damage is zip, you're just offering your head on a platter. Unless, I'm doing it wrong...
Charge damage is negligible. You only use it to get in their faces and land headshots with the bullet time bonus of Heavy Charge. And, um, to replenish your shields after you get hit by return fire from the (now dead) victim's friends.

Use it to replenish shields? That could be useful since Fortification/Barrier/Geth Shield Boost have about a 10 billion second cooldown time. Do any of the shield powers stack with charge? Also, what's the general strategy with biotics for the vanguards?

manthing2.jpg

Use it to replenish shields? That could be useful since Fortification/Barrier/Geth Shield Boost have about a 10 billion second cooldown time. Do any of the shield powers stack with charge? Also, what's the general strategy with biotics for the vanguards?

They do. I got around 600+ barrier by stacking the time-extend variant of Fortification with the bonus from Charge... but it's not worth it as once your shields go down, the bonus from those skills goes away, and you simply cannot wait around for 12 seconds for the cooldown. And trust me, your shields WILL go down.

Biotics strategy... depends on what difficulty you're playing on. Hardcore and above, biotics are useless as everyone is immune, and you should be charging anyway. So spend those points in squad ammo powers (cryo is useful) and Tungsten. Veteran and below, pull field is pretty fun, for those mobs you can't/don't want to charge. For Veteran, you may also want to try Area Charge instead of Heavy, just so you can play some Blue Suns Bowling. Rule of thumb, if it has a longer cooldown than Charge, don't bother with it.

Really, Vanguard is a one-trick-pony kind of class. But boy is it fun to play.

Hey, does anyone here think that ME1 is better than ME2?

I've been playing ME1 to get better save for ME2, and I really don't understand why some people are going "ME1 was one of the best games ever, what did you do to my precious ME2 bioware?!" on the net. Honestly, the only things I think are better in ME1 are the codex (why-o-why the text is in a stamp-sized box in ME2?) and I personally would take the boring mako over the even more boring planet scanning any time.

Everything else is better in ME2 in my opinion, quests are much more interesting, combat is about ten times more fun, and the dialog and squad members are better.

Is it because I think ME1 didn't really work neither as a RPG nor a shooter, and the people who consider ME1 better can't seem to get over that ME2 is more shootery? Really, what makes ME1 better RPG, other than that it has more skills? I can't think of a single reason.

Could someone help me out here?

Edited by Slinky