Was Jade Empire bad?

Note: Volo isn't stupid, he's just stubborn without bothering to give exposition.

Thanks Boo.

Thanks to you, I can't consider myself a pessimist anymore. Compared to you it's impossible. laughing.gif

Learn from the mastah. :aiee:

Did you think I chose an avatar of emo Jon for no reason?

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Well its been concluded that no one remembers Jade Empire anyway.

Now let the game sink into well deserved obscurity.

I kinda agree with you. I tried playing it a few months ago, and I just couldn't care enough to last more than 15 minutes (I'd like to point out that this is not a common problem to me :aiee:). Probably also because I have the xbox version, and it does look pretty hideous emulated & blasted onto a 40" screen.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Why am I the only one who didn't see the plot twist coming? That's pretty much one of the most memorable things the game has to offer (along with some beautiful landscapes and the multiple endings). I would really love to see a sequel but I wanted a more RPG feel to the combat system.

Usually, I am pretty good at guessing how the plot will evolve (especially in movies).

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Why am I the only one who didn't see the plot twist coming? That's pretty much one of the most memorable things the game has to offer (along with some beautiful landscapes and the multiple endings). I would really love to see a sequel but I wanted a more RPG feel to the combat system.

Usually, I am pretty good at guessing how the plot will evolve (especially in movies).

I didn't see it coming either.

It's probably because we're not natural cynics with paranoid fears of clich

manthing2.jpg

I expected the plot twist only because I didn't think the game would be that short.

I found it to be similar to KOTOR, where one easily kicks Malak's ass in the middle of the game, but then shortly afterwards one gets served.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It was the classic, trope twist... but I thought it was a well-done take on the classic twist.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

True. I still wonder if I'd have enjoyed the game more if I didn't see the plot twist coming after the first scene of the game (after your master says, about, three lines). And ironically, although I thought JE was thoroughly mediocre, I would have liked to see another take at the universe - get that great art direction and sound, then put in some in-depth lore that really seems different and Asian-inspired, not a dragon coating on high fantasy.

I'm glad to know that I was not the only person who saw that telegraphed at that moment. It was right after that scene that I quit the game and took it back to Blockbuster.

For me, JE was worse than NWN1, which is saying a lot.

I'm glad to know that I was not the only person who saw that telegraphed at that moment. It was right after that scene that I quit the game and took it back to Blockbuster.

Okay, I have to say, it's relevant to say that you got turned off a game by the first 5 minutes.. But if you didn't play more then that, you can't really make a sweeping statement that the whole game was bad if you didn't play that far beyond the opening sequence.... :p

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Okay, I have to say, it's relevant to say that you got turned off a game by the first 5 minutes.. But if you didn't play more then that, you can't really make a sweeping statement that the whole game was bad if you didn't play that far beyond the opening sequence.... :)

Actually, I can, because it's my opinion, relevant only to my experience. I'm not presenting it as undeniable fact. In fact, my exact words are, "For me, JE was worse than NWN1, which is saying a lot." (emphasis added). My words were not, "JE is objectively the worst game Bioware has ever produced because I saw the plot coming after the first real cutscene. The transparency of the plot turned me off to the entirety of the plot-heavy game, so I no longer had any desire to continue it. If I waste $7 renting a story-heavy game only to have said story telegraphed to me in the first half hour, then that game to me is bad, no matter what other redeeming features it may posses. Bioware focuses on story in their games, not gameplay, not action, and so having the primary component ruined is just like if God of War III features one-button combat for the whole game.

NWN, KOTOR, ME, DA all follow the hoary old premise "defeat ancient evil by going on one giant fetch quest". At least JE is different from that.

You mean, "your teacher betrays you and becomes big baddie"?

It's more like the guy from the beginning is the end boss and you get most BIO games.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

BG1 was ok, guess (just a primitive bg2).
Sorry, but that was probably the dumbest way to phrase that sentence.

monocle.jpg

Good Sir, I must insist you pardon the testimonial infirmities pertaining to Corporal Ramza's locution.

Truly, his articulation for semantical exposition has suffered following that ghastly expedition in East Africa.

Unfortunately, Earl Kaftan Barlast of Etterington insisted I forgo the multitudinous legion of indigenous serfs at our disposal.

Apparently the old bean reckons this wily gesture will extend an olive branch to the savages, following our righteous education of their heretical ways.

Yours truly is inclined to agree, given the bombardment incident at Burundi. Nasty business that.

Thierry-Poncelet-The-Advocate-107072.jpg

As legal council to the Earl of Barlast, I have been tasked to provide my clients viewpoints regarding this matter.

Currently, the Earls opinion is that a modum of resolute neutrality is of the outmost importance when commenting

on any matters involving survivors of the beforementioned incident. But he will go as far as to say that any injuries

relating to what a man does undressed with a sharp zulu spear in his tent at night is hardly the companys fault.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"Bioware focuses on story in their games, not gameplay, not action,"

Simply not true.

Who said that Vol?

Twice... In as many day am I agree'in with you.

Bioware focus on gameplay LIKE ANY OTHER GAMES COMPANY. They just really cook up a story to go with it instead of half baking it like oh, MW2 the quake 3 mod that could.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!