Mass Effect 2

Gorth

Bah useless trinkets.

Amen.

I'm still surprised how the gaming industry has managed to convince the public that its alright to chop up your game prior to release and sell the parts for an additional fee.

And also to convince people that one piece of equipment, skin or whatever is in any way relevant to the gaming experience.

I mean people are actually foaming at the mouth over the DLC sh!t.

All that stuff was probably special made to be pre-order stuff. Nothing wrong with good DLC and the free one is they're way of fighting the used game market and possibly piracy(no idea how well that works, though).

Having special trinkets for every different place you can pre-order from is stupid, though.

[shepherd kicks open stall door in womens restroom; occupant screams]

Commander Shepherd: Sorry, retarded.

Miranda: Oh, its okay.

[shepherd kicks open second stall door; occupant screams]

Commander Shepherd: Sorry, dont know any better.

Tali: Oh, bless you then.

[shepherd kicks open third stall door; occupant screams]

Commander Shepherd: Geez, didnt you hear me a second ago? I'm retarded!

Subject Zero: Oh, you're just curious. Well, let me show you how

everything works down there.

That was a most astute work of litterature, sir jags! I shall take my hat off to you. Although I do regard it to be more erotic if a gentleman catches a lady while she is starching her underskirts, though I cannot say if the modern fashion of this so-called game permits that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

All that stuff was probably special made to be pre-order stuff. Nothing wrong with good DLC and the free one is they're way of fighting the used game market and possibly piracy(no idea how well that works, though).
I'm not sure how it's supposed to fight piracy. If the main game can be cracked to not require an online registration/activation, then the DLC can be too.

Miranda is hot. Has this been discussed yet?
Yes, but not enough. I'm expecting jags or Kaftan to post Miranda pr0n .gifs in a few days.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to fight piracy. If the main game can be cracked to not require an online registration/activation, then the DLC can be too.

I was just speculating. At the very least it will be released when the game is, so if the game leaks early(like ME2 did) you still won't get the DLC until the official release date.

"I mean people are actually foaming at the mouth over the DLC sh!t. "

Irony.

Anyways, no biggy on DLC. You like it, you buy it. If you don't, don't. If you steal, you are a scumbag criminal who should be punished for immoral and illegal crime. Really is this simple.

ME2 will likely be fun. Wish they didn't so many skills, and stuff. Seriously? 6 talents per character? WTF!

Anyone who thinks that that football ad for the game is going to make any significant dent in ME2's sales are sadly mistaken. I have little doubt that ME2 will be in the same range of total sales as ME1.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm going to guess at least 1.5x more than ME. It seems ME sold somewhere around 2.5 million on the PC and 360, which is good, but not all that great for a AAA game.

Also nice to know that our Volo is smarter than a whole department of professionals. If marketing had little to no effect on sales, you'd think that they might want to keep the money.

Edited by Purkake

"I'm going to guess at least 1.5x more than ME. It seems ME sold somewhere around 2.5 million on the PC and 360, which is good, but not all that great for a AAA game."

It's perfect for a BIO game, and I bet it sold more than 2.5 copies. It solid I believe 1.7 copies for the 360 alone in the first 2 months or less. You cna't expect every game - even so called AAA games (which BIO isn't though they wish they were) - to sell Mario or Madden numbers.

"Also nice to know that our Volo is smarter than a whole department of professionals. If marketing had little to no effect on sales, you'd think that they might want to keep the money."

Yup. Are these the same 'whole department of professionals' who often get things wrong? L0LZ

"Same as the first one, or a little more."

Boo wins. >_<

I'm going to guess at least 1.5x more than ME. It seems ME sold somewhere around 2.5 million on the PC and 360, which is good, but not all that great for a AAA game.

Also nice to know that our Volo is smarter than a whole department of professionals. If marketing had little to no effect on sales, you'd think that they might want to keep the money.

Well, we're talking about EA here. Might actually sell less, ME1 came out before Christmas, early year release is kind of risky.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

@Volo: If they got things wrong so often they would either be unemployed or the company would be under by now.

I guess we'll see when the January NPDs come out.

@Dagon: Christmas was also horribly crowded with tons of other games and ME was a relatively unknown title from a primarily PC-focused company. ME2 is a known quantity.

Edited by Purkake

"If they got things wrong so often they would either be unemployed or the company would be under by now."

How many games did EA release last year? How many were successful? How many had subpar sales/ How many outright bombed?

It's (supposedly) common knowledge that EA - like most major game publishers - tend tor ely on a handful ofm huge sellers. For EA, this is Madden and The Sims to make their money.

Just ask Bethsoft. Sure, they release FO3 which sells millions. But, they release other games that are literally DEAD ON ARRIVAL!

Just ask the devs of their ST game.

Don't forget all those gamers who either rented ME1 or bought it used. And the raw number of 360s and PCs that meet the minimum specs for the game is higher now than it was when ME1 came out. The non-xmas season and generally weaker economy will hurt, but this should still outsell ME1 pretty easily.

Have you been reading what's happening to EA? They've been losing 100's of millions per quarter, and laying off like crazy.

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=381903

I think EA is still turning a profit, actually. Can anyone explain all this stuff?

Edited by Hurlshot

"If they got things wrong so often they would either be unemployed or the company would be under by now."

How many games did EA release last year? How many were successful? How many had subpar sales/ How many outright bombed?

It's (supposedly) common knowledge that EA - like most major game publishers - tend tor ely on a handful ofm huge sellers. For EA, this is Madden and The Sims to make their money.

Just ask Bethsoft. Sure, they release FO3 which sells millions. But, they release other games that are literally DEAD ON ARRIVAL!

Just ask the devs of their ST game.

And if they didn't market those games they would sell less, which is why they do. What's your point?

"I think EA is still turning a profit, actually. Can anyone explain all this stuff?"

I did with this: It's (supposedly) common knowledge that EA - like most major game publishers - tend to rely on a handful ofm huge sellers. For EA, this is Madden and The Sims to make their money.

"And if they didn't market those games they would sell less, which is why they do."

Proof please.

Also, we're not talking about just any advertsiing but a specific one of two lame football games. That particiualr type of advertising is not gonna make much of a difference to ME2's sales.

I seriously doubt more than a handful of people watching them saw that commerical and went 'OMFG I GOTZ TO BUY ME2 THAT GAME ROX MY SOX MUST BUY MUST BUY MUST BUY MUST BUY 8slobber* slobber* Forget football, ME2 is where it is at! OOOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!"

Edited by Volourn

Have you been reading what's happening to EA? They've been losing 100's of millions per quarter, and laying off like crazy.

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=381903

I think EA is still turning a profit, actually. Can anyone explain all this stuff?

GAAP net loss for the year was $1.088 billion as compared with a net loss of $454 million for the prior year.
If that's turning a profit, I wonder what losing money looks like.

The recession didn't affect games all that much, it's EA's strategy that's crashing and burning.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

GAAP net loss for the year was $1.088 billion as compared with a net loss of $454 million for the prior year.
If that's turning a profit, I wonder what losing money looks like.

The recession didn't affect games all that much, it's EA's strategy that's crashing and burning.

Then what does this mean?

GAAP net revenue for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009 was $4.212 billion, up 15 percent as compared with $3.665 billion for the prior year. The Company ended the year with $261 million in deferred net revenue from packaged goods and digital content - down $126M from a year ago.

Non-GAAP net revenue was $4.086 billion, up 2 percent as compared with $4.020 billion for the prior year.