Fallout 2

And just how well did Torment sell compared to the other Infinity Engine games? How well did it sell compared to other games released at the same time frame?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

And just how well did Torment sell compared to the other Infinity Engine games? How well did it sell compared to other games released at the same time frame?

And just what does this have to do with my earlier point anyway?!

PROTIP: Top 3 causes of poet death: 1:Malnutrition 2:Syphilis 3:Shot by his gay lover.* You know poets, the people who use "poetic freedom" as an excuse to write badly structured and nonsensical poems that "for some reason" are called art.

*And some got executed for their "art".

Edited by Oner

Poetry is the the epitome of the philosophy of economy of words. Good poetry conveys the same thoughts and emotions of a well written short story in a few stanzas. That does not pertain to my question on how well did Torment sell however.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Poetry is the the epitome of the philosophy of economy of words. Good poetry conveys the same thoughts and emotions of a well written short story in a few stanzas.

Really? Because all I care about in poetry is the rhyming. The rhyming factor is the only important thing. Limericks are the best because they're catchy. And how many people can recite There Once was a Man from Nantucket over Dulce Et Decorum Est?

Poetry is the the epitome of the philosophy of economy of words. Good poetry conveys the same thoughts and emotions of a well written short story in a few stanzas. That does not pertain to my question on how well did Torment sell however.
Videogames are the epitome of the philosophy of economy of words, acting, music and interactivity. Good levels convey the same thought and emotions of a well written short story in a few minutes. The sold copes of Torment however don't pertain to how fun it is considered because not having bought it, the masses can't tell. Also, sold numbers =! artsyness. Refer to above post.

]Videogames are the epitome of the philosophy of economy of words, acting, music and interactivity. Good levels convey the same thought and emotions of a well written short story in a few minutes. The sold copes of Torment however don't pertain to how fun it is considered because not having bought it, the masses can't tell. Also, sold numbers =! artsyness. Refer to above post.

No. Video games are not art. They are mindless entertainment and nothing more.

Do you honestly think that if everyone in the world played Torment, even half of them would like it?

Because that's the object of art, to make sure as many people like it as possible. That's why they invented focus testing during the renaissance.

Killian, You're nearing the critical mass of trolling.

Flames incoming...

Do you honestly think that if everyone in the world played Torment, even half of them would like it?

Because that's the object of art, to make sure as many people like it as possible. That's why they invented focus testing during the renaissance.

I was replying to Oner, who said that people didn't buy Torment, because they didn't know how fun it was. My point was that he was overestimating people.

Edited by Purkake

It worked for Shakespeare.

I knew I should've repeated the "ignorant masses" part. No I don't. Lots of things now considered work of art weren't popular. Painters died of malnutrition. Poets died of malnutrition. No. Money. For. Food. Crappy. Works. Now. They're. Called. Art.

]Videogames are the epitome of the philosophy of economy of words, acting, music and interactivity. Good levels convey the same thought and emotions of a well written short story in a few minutes. The sold copes of Torment however don't pertain to how fun it is considered because not having bought it, the masses can't tell. Also, sold numbers =! artsyness. Refer to above post.

Then why don't you refute my points instead of repeating your mantra? You have no logical explanation, just some arbitrary BS mantra. Talk about your vaunted progress.

I was replying to Oner, who said that people didn't buy Torment, because they didn't know how fun it was. My point was that he was overestimating people.
I wrote "can't tell" for a reason. They may find it fun (no they wouldn't, but you never know when Enlightment hits), but you can't just say "they think it's boring" because they haven't even played it. Edited by Oner

It worked for Shakespeare.

I thought we were talking about art. Plays full of puns and d*ck jokes are just mindless entertainment.

Edited by bhlaab

Once you manage to derail a thread enough to get firmly on the "what is art" rails, the next stop is hell.
I'm on a HIGHWAY TO HELL! Wait, wrong band. *clears throat* BURNING NOW I BRING YOU HELL!

You have no logical explanation

Did you just forget who you are talking to? :o

My bad, mr Contradiction. :teehee: Edited by Oner

So if I take three sheets of paper and

1) Print the word "art" on the first

2) Write the word "art" on the second in normal handwriting

3) Paint the word "art" on the third in a somewhat creative manner

Which one is/isn't art and why?

Edited by Purkake

Mostly. There's always going to be that title that really sands out as art and not some childish murder simulator ala Gears of War.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So if I take three sheets of paper and

1) Print the word "art" on the first

2) Write the word "art" on the second in normal handwriting

3) Paint the word "art" on the third in a somewhat creative manner

Which one is/isn't art and why?

A painter would say all three. I'd say neither 'cause your not even trying. Also, don't try to ask me to define art. What I'm saying is that something that combines graphical, audible and written presentation (and therefore has the potential to contain artworks of all three...art forms) and throws in interactivity and immersion for good measure, "cannot" be called art* because "I say so". No sense no reason.

*Or an art form if you wish. I see what half the problem is.

Edited by Oner