Fallout 3's Writing issues

WriteGuard

Yeah but now I'm thinking "Well, now all this good writing is going to be trapped inside Fallout 3's shoddy gameplay"

I mean the writing you get a clean slate, but they can only really tweak the gameplay and I'm not convinced that F3 can be tweaked into something as good as the originals.

That's the whole point - F3 isn't a sequel, it just happens to share the same name and has a 3 by it.

Its nothing like Fallout.

I suggest you read the NMA review of it. Its fair, precise and quite witty.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=47347

The Fact is that Fallout 3 is a sequel. It has the story elements and continuation of some of those story elements and a modified version of the Special system of the previous two games, as well as the game is set in a post-apocalyptic world following The Great War between the US and China. To say that it's nothing like Fallout is moronic.

It doesn't matter whether it's movies or video games, you can't erase sequels or try to produce another sequel and say previous sequels don't exist. For example, Bryan Singer tried to erase the third and fourth Superman sequels as well as the Richard Lester Superman II sequel with his Superman Returns movie. Bryan Singer suggested he only recognises the Superman movies as Superman, Superman II Richard Donner Cut and Superman Returns. Those three movies work great as a story but the other sequels do exist even if he refuses to acknowledge them.

Let's move this thread in a less rote direction and talk about MCA's new blog post on game writing vs. other sorts of writing. Uploaded about 45 minutes ago.

Is this a meme-joke? Because I don't get it.

I know what would be a good idea, guys. Let's have another FO3 hate thread!

Those are always so nice and insightful.

The OP started it off as praise, not hate. Not his fault Fallout 3 sucked enough for any thread outside the Bethieboards to eventually turn into a criticism of it's worst elements.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

I know what would be a good idea, guys. Let's have another FO3 hate thread!

Those are always so nice and insightful.

The OP started it off as praise, not hate. Not his fault Fallout 3 sucked enough for any thread outside the Bethieboards to eventually turn into a criticism of it's worst elements.

Any thread even looking like it might mention FO3 will turn into a hatefest in about three posts around these parts. Also nice to see that you're completely rational about it.

The bottom line is that every FO3 thread doesn't need everyone to express their undying hatred for the game. We all know you have a strong dislike for it, try some impulse control for a change(all of you).

I want everyone to have an actual civilized discussion instead of popping in here and saying "lulz FO3 is teh suck, Beth sux". Especially if you have expressed that opinion in the last 76 FO3 threads.

We get it, you hate FO3, can you go on with your life now? It's been over a year.

Edited by Purkake

saying "lulz FO3 is teh suck, Beth sux".

Now just hold on a second son...didn't you just criticize me for being irrational? And here you are in hyperbole's glory, using feigned internet-speech to whittle down what usually are actually well-defined posts about the topic. You can't just pick and choose the posts you want to use as examples nor can you marginalize somebody's thoughts on the topic because you're either in disagreement or tired of reading it.

We get it, you hate FO3, can you go on with your life now? It's been over a year.

Who are you speaking for and is there a committee? (alsoplustoo: it's been much, much longer than a year and it will go on for much, much longer I'm sure. soweee!)

Oh look, an example:

Cute. Now go find the post I made in the first few weeks of FO:NV's announcement regarding SPECIAL and my detailed analysis of the difference in it's implementation if you really want to play games with me.

It's just a video game try to get over it.

This might be the sort of phrase my family, girlfriend or therapist (I don't have one, but if I did...) would be undoubtedly justified in exclaiming to me if I actually railed on the subject outside of video-game message boards, letting it somehow factor into my actual life. However, can you tell me what kind of message board this is? Yes, a video-game message board. One which belongs to a company about to put out a game which I'm very excited about. Excited and hoping is void of the pratfalls of it's predecessor. If you're going to care enough to belong to a forum-community, shouldn't you also care enough to speak about the subjects which led you to that particular board?

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

What does your detailed analysis of the SPECIAL system's different implementation have to do with your hyperbole?

It's nice to discuss games, even old games, but does endlessly spewing out the same tired old arguments really add anything to the conversation? All the things discussed here have been discussed over and over again before. Funny how that only happens to a few specific games here...

Instead of lamenting over FO3's flaws, try expanding your horizons. There are a ton of awesome and interesting indie games like World of Goo, Portal or Machinarium.

Edited by Purkake

Don't look at me, I was trying to help.

So is someone actually making a "Real FO3" mod where they fix all the writing and whatnot?

Wasn't... towards those who think that anyone who enjoyed F3 has some mental defect and can only repeat that one line from three-dog ad nauseam as if it is some sort of proof that every line of the hundreds/thousands spoken is retarded gibberish.

What does your detailed analysis of the SPECIAL system's different implementation have to do with your hyperbole?

You were attempting to belittle the postings of people who argue against Fallout 3 as people who've never made a post in a civilized manner. Also, don't try to turn the table on me if I'm calling you out for exactly the same thing you're accusing me of. It's not helpful if your endgame is actually relevant to civilized discussion.

It's nice to discuss games, even old games, but does endlessly spewing out the same tired old arguments really add anything to the conversation? All the things discussed here have been discussed over and over again before. Funny how that only happens to a few specific games here...

Here's something you may not realize about me and due to no real fault of your own: I am not a "gamer" but a Fallout obsessive. I don't play video-games very often and when I do, based on recommendations...since Fallout, I've not felt the same. There have been some which have come close (Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Planescape, VB:M, Deus Ex) but I'm just not that into games to talk about anything other than Fallout or it's successors. Sorry for that but don't you have the same ability to not pop into Fallout-specific threads if you have an idea of what you might see there? I'm sincerely confused with your trepidation.

Instead of lamenting over FO3's flaws, try expanding your horizons. There are a ton of awesome and interesting indie games like World of Goo, Portal or Machinarium.

World of Goo is installed on my computer as I type yet that does nothing for the argument that I should or shouldn't shut up about the one series which I actually really care about.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

You were attempting to belittle the postings of people who argue against Fallout 3 as people who've never made a post in a civilized manner. Also, don't try to turn the table on me if I'm calling you out for exactly the same thing you're accusing me of. It's not helpful if your endgame is actually relevant to civilized discussion.

So you mocked my mocking of other people? Even without the hyperboles there's plenty of FO3 to go around in this thread and pretty much every other FO3 thread on this board with very little actual discussion.

Here's something you may not realize about me and due to no real fault of your own: I am not a "gamer" but a Fallout obsessive. I don't play video-games very often and when I do, based on recommendations...since Fallout, I've not felt the same. There have been some which have come close (Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Planescape, VB:M, Deus Ex) but I'm just not that into games to talk about anything other than Fallout or it's successors. Sorry for that but don't you have the same ability to not pop into Fallout-specific threads if you have an idea of what you might see there? I'm sincerely confused with your trepidation.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of your condition. My condolences.

World of Goo is installed on my computer as I type yet that does nothing for the argument that I should or shouldn't shut up about the one series which I actually really care about.

If you had enough other games to play maybe you wouldn't have time to obsess about Fallout?

So you mocked my mocking of other people? Even without the hyperboles there's plenty of FO3 to go around in this thread and pretty much every other FO3 thread on this board with very little actual discussion.

What in the bloody, bloody hell are you talking about? (yes, that is a Fallout reference)

Sorry, I wasn't aware of your condition. My condolences.

Condition. Hmm. Somehow I don't see your attitude as helping anything here.

If you had enough other games to play maybe you wouldn't have time to obsess about Fallout?

Not interested, sorry.