Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

But when you get down to it, it's a fairly standard shooter on rails. But nothing worthy of major hype.

What makes it such a great game is not some novelty feature or other unique thing, what makes it great is the incredible attention to detail and polish. Nothing has been left to chance, from level design to the sound. It may be just a steak with potatoes, but its one of the most perfectly cooked steaks you've ever had.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But when you get down to it, it's a fairly standard shooter on rails. But nothing worthy of major hype.

What makes it such a great game is not some novelty feature or other unique thing, what makes it great is the incredible attention to detail and polish. Nothing has been left to chance, from level design to the sound. It may be just a steak with potatoes, but its one of the most perfectly cooked steaks you've ever had.

Lets see, bad textures, bad story, bad voice acting, bad AI... Shall I go on.

MW 2 isn't steak with potatoes, it's a turd that's been polished so much people think it's a diamond.

Sorry folks, but its just a big smelly POO.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Nightie, old chap... I dont think you've actually played the same game as the rest of us. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The majority of the voice acting isn't that bad. It's just that some of the dialogue isn't the best written.

To go with the nerd quote "you can write this stuff, you just can't speak it."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This is where I use the same argument I use against Halo haters: It's fun.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I agree. to me, I went through the SP campaign and half of the spec ops which is a nice alternative and have probably spent 4 hours in MP and I generally have fun with the game. I guess that's what the question is, is it fun? yes, for me. Trying to unlock different perks, attachments, guns, etc gives motivation to play more and that keeps it interesting. I, however, find it hard to break away from Dragon Age, to put more hours into this game.

Oh, it had its entertaining moments, and was a nice break away from Dragon Age... but some of it was really frustrating. The White House assault particularly.. Coming out of the tunnel, 3 seconds later dead. Reloads to you stood there, 3 seconds later dead. Scrub, Rinse, Repeat for a dozen times before finally managing to drop prone into a hole before death...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nightie, old chap... I dont think you've actually played the same game as the rest of us. :thumbsup:

Trust me, I played it, analysed it, moved on.

Can't understand what all the fuss is about.

Fun is subjective, I wouldn't disagree that people find fun in CoD.

As a game designer, do you think it affects anything if you can't understand what it is about Modern Warfare 2 (or the Call of Duty games in general) that is fun and appealing to people? I just figured that it'd be important for you to understand what it is about all games that people find interesting and so forth. Or is that outside of your expertise with your company?

Like I've said before, Modern Warfare and now Modern Warfare 2 are probably games that define this generation of games. They certainly are not games for me, but they are games for the majority. Activision hit the sweet spot and EA got left behind. Now EA tries to resurrect their Medal of Honor brand :thumbsup:

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

As a game designer, do you think it affects anything if you can't understand what it is about Modern Warfare 2 (or the Call of Duty games in general) that is fun and appealing to people? I just figured that it'd be important for you to understand what it is about all games that people find interesting and so forth.

Firstly I'm not a game designer... I'm a programmer. Secondly, I understand what most people actually find fun about CoD games in general, I've played every CoD game that's been released, to death both single and multiplayer, so ya know this is basically a no brainer for me. The truth of the matter is that IW are infact very good at what they do, but what they do is very basic, and cheap. Its the fact that it is so basic and cheap that allows them to do it. It's certainly not a complex game loop, the last major change to which occured CoD 2 and that was the whole health regeneration, the technology under the hood is shockingly basic. It's mutton dressed as lamb, that's seen so much iteration it's convinced alot of the world it's a stallion. At the core of it that's my problem.

I have actually spent the time thinking about CoD, and talking with other people about CoD. Fact of the matter is that I dislike the heavily authored intensely scripted CoD experience, it's a very out dated way of making games. It's alot of cheap tricks, alot of smoke and mirrors, but it's an experience, and its a ballsy experience at times, with a popular multiplayer componant, and weapon mechanics that makes the player feel powerful, it does this really really well... But really when you pull away the artwork, folk are playing whack-a-mole on rails.

Alot of my complaints are subjective. If I'm honest, all I can say is CoD is the most stupid, and dumb experience on the planet.

Or is that outside of your expertise with your company?

No, its not. It's not outside of my expertise, or my experience, and considering the folks I work with... They've a whole other opinion on a whole range of matters, most of which is very very positive when it comes to MW 2.

I am not a mouthpiece for any company, I really do wish people wouldn't treat me as such, or factor in some kind of inarticulate inexperience.

Yes, I think its fun to come to this forum, tell everyone the opposite of what the marketing machine is saying, because I'm a cynical ***hole.

Edited by Nightshape

The questions came because you seem to indicate that you can't understand what all the fuss is about...

Yet you yourself indicate that you played the earlier Call of Duty games "to death." It seems as though you CAN tell what all the fuss is about.

I don't care for the Halo franchise, but that doesn't prevent me from understanding what it is that people like about it.

Edited by alanschu

The questions came because you seem to indicate that you can't understand what all the fuss is about...

Yet you yourself indicate that you played the earlier Call of Duty games "to death." It seems as though you CAN tell what all the fuss is about.

I don't care for the Halo franchise, but that doesn't prevent me from understanding what it is that people like about it.

Actually most of my problem is with the mass-market uber hype machine, and a franchise that has barely evolved over 6 iterations getting so much attention. It's $$$ at work, not excellence in games development, design and technology.

For me its like this, the media has convinced the world that the sky is green, and I'm stood there going GUYS it's blue, it's been blue for years, don't believe what you're being told. Meanwhile Kaften's made a pool of man mess going "THE SKY REALLY IS GREEN", your stood there saying my eye's are broken, and I'm wondering if the world has really gone mad. So basically I think all the hype, excitement and critical accliam is nuts, unfounded, and genuine mass idiocy on a major scale.

Halo, a franchise I also don't get excited about, but I've always accepted that its fun for alot of people. I have not issue with CoD being a fun multiplayer experience for alot of people, heck a fun all round experience, but best game of the decade, best FPS ever... That's just a pile of BS.

Oh yeah, I agree on the ridiculous amount of hype. But the game is still awesome. Not "fresh", I guess, but awesome.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

the story is over the top and ridiculous and parts have you saying oh WTF but seriously, this game is epic. it's a point and shoot shooter on rails but it shouldn't be missed because of that. It's like an awesome action movie that you go to see, and then never want to see again because you know whats coming. But the first time you see it you're like OMG SO COOL