Bioware cliche chart

ramza

Lame...

post-727-1257859856_thumb.png

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Tropes are not clich
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Those are more rpg cliches then Bioware cliches. Granted Bioware may not be the flagship of originality but they are no worse than anyone else.

Besides, well done cliches can still work fine. That's why they are cliches. They work.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Cliches can work. After all, they started as original ideas, became central to what a "good" example was, and get reused for years/decades after...

Although I'll always remember reading a critic talking about the republished works of E.E."Doc" Smith saying that it was all hackneyed and cliched through so much sci-fi... Apparently he didn't pick up that Smith created a whole heap of those techniques/tropes back in the old days before they got overused...

But Bioware have a basic formula that works for crpg... and people still play them, and usually , mostly enjoy the experience. How many ways can you start off as a low-level dweeb, be pulled into something world shakingly sort of epic, and travel through a series of locations gaining strength, skill, and an understanding of the situation before having some form of climactic confrontation to deal with the problem?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How many ways can you start off as a low-level dweeb, be pulled into something world shakingly sort of epic, and travel through a series of locations gaining strength, skill, and an understanding of the situation before having some form of climactic confrontation to deal with the problem?

From now on: six.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Some of them aren't even correct. Jade Empire's "Your travels simply take you across the land" doesn't seem like 4 unique places. Baldur's Gate one is a bit of a stretch in that category. And I wholeheartedly called them on the similarities between KOTOR and NWN in this regard, but I think people are just looking to stretch to make them fit.

The second category is quite the stretch as a BioWare cliche. I'd say it's a stretch as an RPG cliche. I mean, combat is a common form (and probably the most common form) of conflict in a video game. Most stories provide some type of conflict at the beginning of the story to provide a hook to make the story interesting. A boring beginning is a good way to get people to drop your game.

Which leads to the next one, which relates to the party members after the attack. Well, not too surprisingly, games give you party members with a variety of abilities because it's less boring. Even still, Bastila Shan isn't a party member for quite some time after the initial attack.

And they probably could have changed the evil/sinister organization one to "Game contains antagonists"

Jaesun that's heroically good, if I was Vol I'd be delighted and have a laminated copy blu-tacked above my puter.

:shifty: I would as well.

To give credit where credit is due, I did not make that chart. Someone at the codex did. I forget his name though...

Whats the last block say, its too small for me to read.

"Pretty Princess" That is his custom title at the codex. Typically someone get's the prestigious "DumbF&%#" title, but there was not enough room for hundreds of DumbF&%# titles on his avatar pane, so Vault Dweller gave him the Pretty Princess title. Good times, good times.

Move along everyone, nothing to see here.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester