My Dragon Age mini-rewiew

TheHarlequin

On all the FP games you listed I can also play in 3rd person. And can still jump and crouch. Just making the point.

I know they can be. What's the default view of each of those games though? It's clear that they were designed around making the game work within a first person perspective. I maintain that games like Bloodlines, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 have less in common with Dragon Age, then a game like Neverwinter Nights 2.

Last I knew those are the basic qualifiactions for a CRPG.

I've never seen any definitive qualification for a CRPG. It usually just ends up with all sorts of disagreement. I wouldn't worry too much about getting into the details, and see neither you nor Volourn as being incorrect for what they are saying.

Edited by alanschu

"Why not. RPG-lite sure but you have a RPG stat/combat system, make decesions in the game world as your character and a main storyline. Last I knew those are the basic qualifiactions for a CRPG. As been proven by CRPGs past and present linear or non-linear storyline does not make or break the label of CRPG.

But I see what you are trying to imply, In your world if it does not have dragons or mutants in it so it clearly can't be a CRPG.... Funny, reminds me of a PnP RPG by Steve Jackson (Of Car Wars fame) called 'Toon'. You played a cartoon character in a cartoon based world. Think a RPG based on the loony toons franchise. By your apparent logic that isn't a RPG either then. However the players of that game back in the day I am sure would disagree as I do here to you on the same principal.

And yes the modern GTAs I consider CRPGs too. Hell those stories, plots, acting, open world and how you can effect some of the game world surpases some games labeled as a strict CRPGs. Nothing prevented you from RPing and making choices in those games. Plus the skill based system was pretty neat. So yes those technically can be considered a CRPG. Were they as deep as other CRPGs on a RP level? No. But certainly on a minunum level at least they qualify in my eyes. "

Oh, please. Not every game with RPG qualities are actually RPGs. Just like not eveyr game with 'action' are action RPGs. Genres DO overlap, silly boy.

"In your world if it does not have dragons or mutants in it so it clearly can't be a CRPG"

Your logic is foolish.

Again, not every game that has some RPG is neccessarily a RPG.

But, hey, I guess FF10 is a sports game because you get to play a sport. And, I guess FF8 is a card game because you get to play cards.

Going by your defintion, 99.9% of games are rpgs. Why have genres if you every game is gonna fit in one, anyways?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

...crouching and jumping... ...should be standard in any game...

7y7zv3t.gif

You're like this archive of visual funny.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

...crouching and jumping... ...should be standard in any game...

7y7zv3t.gif

Post of the week. :lol:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Oh, please. Not every game with RPG qualities are actually RPGs.

Epic fail for reading comprehension. Not what I said or implied at all. Please re-read my post as I clearly define my standards of what a CRPG labled game entails IMO.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

"Epic fail for reading comprehension. Not what I said or implied at all. Please re-read my post as I clearly define my standards of what a CRPG labled game entails IMO. "

You are better off playing an easy game like FO3 which holds your hand like a little baby.

"Epic fail for reading comprehension. Not what I said or implied at all. Please re-read my post as I clearly define my standards of what a CRPG labled game entails IMO. "

You are better off playing an easy game like FO3 which holds your hand like a little baby.

Translation: I am to dumb too (insert lack of wits, knowledge and/or intelect adj here) your valid points except to hurl insults like a child.

Nuff said.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

"Translation: I am to dumb too (insert lack of wits, knowledge and/or intelect adj here) your valid points except to hurl insults like a child.

Nuff said."

Oo... I think you need to find better AI, because yours is failing. Face it, you are just mad that DA isn't dumbed down ala games like BG or NWN2.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DA isn't dumbed down ala games like BG or NWN2.

guh? what does this mean... how can BG be dumbed down when all the other games came after.....

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

3.5 worked mostly. Star Wars d20 wasn't too bad, although the new Saga Edition takes a bit of getting used to..

But DnD 4th is just such appaling cack. I can't really see how a good system can be adapted from it for any new computer versions of DnD settings.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."