FO: NV radio stations

Walsingham

i look forward to most on my next f3 playthrough: killing 3dog. i didnt know you could until recently

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

There should've been a Republic of Dave radio station. Bethesda missed a huge opportunity there... something like a poor man's version of Enclave Radio.

There are actually quite a lot of possible things one can pull off in that tiny parcel of the Capital Wasteland. Makes me wonder whether Bethesda originally planned a quest there but removed it from the game?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I think it makes a lot of sense to create a radio station. With the abundance of prewar tech, particularly weapons, you can't tell me that folks would not have come up with makeshift radios in order to hear music and news. It's ludicrous. Frankly, it makes so much sense, BIS could have implemented it into the earlier games. Maybe you don't like the way Bethesda did it, but maintaining a running radio station would be a tremendous source of influence and folks would greedily seek out a means to listen to whatever radio stations existed, not only for entertainment, which would be at a premium, but also for any news, even if not always reliable.

Yeah, it's one of those things where outmoded tech really shows its usefulness.

However, running a radio frequency takes a lot of power. I don't think this is really an issue as power generation and construction goes largely unexplained in Fallout (where it is addressed, there appears to be an abundance of functioning nuclear power) Still, it's a little ludicrous that people would be able to set up their own repeating signals out in the wastes.

One thing I think would be kind of nifty to see is the strengthening of radio signals at night, due to changes in the atmosphere during an absence of sunlight. It's a really interesting meteorological phenomenon. There could be signals that you can only pick up in a certain place during the night.

Ok, my point is: the radio was a good idea, badly implemented by Bethesda. Let's hope Obsidian expands on it. It has potential to be a great asset to the game.

If by badly implemented you mean that it wasn't perfect, well, nothing ever is. I really enjoyed the radio system, and I liked it even more when I installed a mod that added 100 more songs. There were instances of quest tips...Oasis and Evergreen Mills come to mind. Also, the play between GNR and Enclave Radio told a great story. Frankly, I think the radio system was a great part of the game, and yes, i agree that future Fallouts should have this feature.

Edited by Kjarista

That night idea is actually pretty nifty. Might encourage folks to fiddle with their dieals.

I also agree that radio stations should not be particularly common, but I do think radios would be, especially if folks know there's even one radio station broadcasting. As far as power generation goes, both the enclave and the BoS seem to have no problem on that end.

I think having a few competing radio stations would be good, maybe even up to three, depending on how Obs builds the communities. If there are two competing factions in Vegas proper, then there could be one at a community at the dam. I didn't like that the enclave's radio station was so completely bland, but I also understand that coming up with three lines of dialogue and complete song lists for two or three radio stations might be taxing on the design team. I don't know that it would, but I could accept that argument.