Demon's Souls anyone?

Does that include Alpha Protocol? ;)

I'm many more hours in at this point, and I'd say knowledge is perhaps more important in surmounting the starting difficulty than anything else. Even in the first dungeon, there is a path of least resistance that makes it much more manageable once figured out. From there, there are certain areas and items that can give a low-level character a serious jump-start. Heck, there are even pros who play through at starting character level by cheesing items as effectively as possible. In a sense it's an elaborate system of exploits, but it's not like the game cuts you much slack.

One gripe similar to Sawyer's I have at this point is the ranged combat. It feels like a crutch, where I end up using it often for survival purposes but there really isn't much to it. It feels more like a method to avoid frustration or tedium than as a rewarding mechanic in itself.

Overall, I'm still enjoying it though. The atmosphere and diverse combat styles keep me coming back. There's also the revenge factor of retreading old ground at higher levels and the involved weapon customization. Basically, I beat Uncharted 2's singleplayer, did some MP, and now I'm back to mostly playing Demon's Souls.

ZOMG, ZOMG, this is like my new favorite game (after Severance: Blade of Darkness of course). In fact, they're both probably the hardest RPG-esque games over the last decade.

I don't own a PS3, but after playing this at a friend's house, I think I might buy a PS3 for this game alone.

Does anyone know of any other great PS3 titles that would sweeten this deal?

manthing2.jpg

look here :p

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/

one advice for you :p always read the best, the worst and all user reviews :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

No, it's legitimately hard.

Say you see some dude you haven't seen before. You have to be extremely conservative about how you approach him. If you just sprint in and start attacking, you're probably going to be caught off-guard by whatever new and crazy attacks he does. Last night I rolled around a corner and saw some dude with a big spear and a shield hanging out at the end of a walkway. I had plenty of time to ponder how to approach him, but instead I just ran up and attacked. He killed me in two hits. These weren't rapid-fire attacks, but attacks with a healthy wind-up that I could have avoided if I had been playing more cautiously. In this way, Demon's Souls is actually pretty similar to Ninja Gaiden. You aren't always awarded for playing defensively, but you are certainly punished for playing recklessly.

No, it's legitimately hard.

Say you see some dude you haven't seen before. You have to be extremely conservative about how you approach him. If you just sprint in and start attacking, you're probably going to be caught off-guard by whatever new and crazy attacks he does. Last night I rolled around a corner and saw some dude with a big spear and a shield hanging out at the end of a walkway. I had plenty of time to ponder how to approach him, but instead I just ran up and attacked. He killed me in two hits. These weren't rapid-fire attacks, but attacks with a healthy wind-up that I could have avoided if I had been playing more cautiously. In this way, Demon's Souls is actually pretty similar to Ninja Gaiden. You aren't always awarded for playing defensively, but you are certainly punished for playing recklessly.

Does that mean, that we get something which punish us for playing recklessly in comming Obsidian Games aswell ??? :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

*Mockingly useless ranged combat

It's not useless in the least, it's just simplistic.

Re, other games, you might be interested in the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games. Other worthwhile exclusives include Uncharted 2 and MGS4.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check those babies out. :sorcerer:

manthing2.jpg

Is this game a case of Nintendo Hard?

Spiritual successor to Blade of Darkness!

*Every battle is epic

*Mockingly useless ranged combat

*Frakin' awesome melee combat

*Grisly atmosphere

*Bone-crunching difficulty

Too bad it's lacking in the gore department. :x

Once you get the hang of things and figured out enemies' tactics, BoD becomes easy too.

Not to mention, twitchy noob players can get through the game easily with the Amazon.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I've only played an hour of it, but Demon's Souls has the best action elements of any action RPG I've played.

Certainly craps over every other RPG that's tried to implement some sort of real-time melee system, in any case.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Kinda depends on where you draw the line between action game with stats and ARPG.

If you include Castlevania games (which certainly have lots of stats/inventory options), those probably still have an edge (at least in 2D). I'd say that, among games that the dev/publisher markets and presents as ARPGs, Demon's Souls easily has the best melee combat.

Kinda depends on where you draw the line between action game with stats and ARPG.

If you include Castlevania games (which certainly have lots of stats/inventory options), those probably still have an edge (at least in 2D). I'd say that, among games that the dev/publisher markets and presents as ARPGs, Demon's Souls easily has the best melee combat.

Yeah. I was actually thinking of the first Genji game myself, as that had a system similar to DS for raising stats and getting equipment, but vastly superior melee.

This game is excellent just got my knight to 1-2 and a +1 longsword. The difficulty is pretty stern, I have lost heads up to the red face knight with a spear probably 10 times now he always gets a herb in before i can get that last back stab.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

That ring is a major perk. The mage on the other hand is probably the most difficult start, has to be stingy with mana and is physically weak with poor gear.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

I'm in trouble! Please recommend this message!

This game turned out to be quite the gem, didn't it? Ended up importing it and found my copy in the mail box last Friday, which led to a long gaming weekend. It's been a challenge to say the least, mostly due to this special Halloween event that had all worlds turn into a nightmare for new players.

Now, if I was a sane I'd probably have summoned a few other players to help out along the path, saving me from a dozen deaths or so at the very least. To heck with that though. Soloing as a pure melee Knight and having a blast. A couple of unique Black Phantoms have already fallen, currently conquering the first areas of all the worlds.

And that Red Eyed Knight from the first world? Oh, how sweet revenge is.

On the subject of the Halloween Event by the way: Anyone know if they've announced what they'll do now that it's supposed to be over? I mean, they can't possibly be thinking of leaving all the World Tendencies at Pure Black?

Right?

Yeah, 'twas pretty fun while it lasted. It's completely over now though, and they set the World Tendencies to Neutral for all the worlds where it was on the darker side. Guess that means it's time for some Flamelurker. Alone. Melee only. Pickaxe +1.

Anyone know if there is any plan to port this to PC or even Xbox?

No chance. It's from the Japanese developer "From Software", and their target audience was Japan (hence PS3 only).

Anyway, through some luck I learned that Amazon.de is selling the PS3 for 238,90 EUR. I got weak and ordered it, so I just might pick up Demon's Souls as well.