So Fallout 3

ramza

They show up a lot in security positions, so I would rate them higher than a civilian guard. I'm not saying they should be awesome combat engines, especially since I think part of the humor is that they are so poor, but it would be nice bumping up their hit points and damage output a bit.

There's a big jump in threat from a Protrectron to a Robobrain, maybe just close that gap a little bit.

I think it's mostly because they were used in civilian environments - subways, Super Duper Mart, factories etc. hence their lasers aren't really set to kill but merely cause some burns.

You do find them in military installations as well: National Guard armory and that Fort in the northwest section for example.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Funny how Sergeant RL-3 is probably the best written character in the game. Love his jingoistic taunts.

Bethesda did a good job with the robots in general. Both in reimagining the original Fallout bots plus the new additions.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ok, I will keep my initial rating of 3.5/5, which is pretty good nonetheless. My excitement was short-lived. I still like the survival and exploration aspect of the game but it now feels more like an adventure game (like Zelda) rather than an RPG. All I have been doing is shooting stuff, looting corpses and places, and doing some trivial quests. I have just started the super heroes quest and I was scratching my head at all this nonsense. Moreover, the NPC lines are really average, the jokes fall flat, and the dialog choices are lame. I wonder how much longer I will manage to keep up with this...

Despite what people say, I really like VATS and find it cool to have slow-motion actions. However, how the heck can you decapitate someone with a gun just as if you had used a sword...? Beats me....

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The "blocking Fallout" part seems like a bit of a hyperbole to me. It's still mostly Fallout, just a bit different.

I guess it's about what "Fallout" is for you. For me, it's the story, dialogs and believability(verisimilitude - hello, NMA) and these things are drastically different in F3.

The Fallout you're referring to has been dead for 10+ years. This is Fallout now.

@alanschu: All those crazy guys living in the past. If you don't get over that then everything else will seem dim and mediocre compared to the shiny awesomeness of the past.

Edited by Purkake

The "blocking Fallout" part seems like a bit of a hyperbole to me. It's still mostly Fallout, just a bit different.

Only "a bit"? They have massacred the setting adding non-sensical stuff here and there!

To answer alanschu's question: Beth sells and promotes this game as an rpg. It's one of the game's key selling features and that is

why I expected Beth to deliver me an rpg, or else this is just plain false-advertising.

I took this into account in my rating and that is why I cut 0.25 points.

Another game I could compare this with is GTA 3 and all the GTAs that followed. More or less the same style of play.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Oh I can see the nature of the complaints, but consider for a moment that FO3 is a game by Bethesda, who's only other recent game is Oblivion, FO3 is made by the same people using the same engine. FO3 being more like Oblivion than FO1/2 should not come as a surprise to anyone.

That said, I didn't like FO3 either, but not because it wasn't Fallout-y enough. I just don't generally like the open world sandbox do-what-you-want kind of games.

Oh I can see the nature of the complaints, but consider for a moment that FO3 is a game by Bethesda, who's only other recent game is Oblivion, FO3 is made by the same people using the same engine. FO3 being more like Oblivion than FO1/2 should not come as a surprise to anyone.

It never a surprise, but that didn't make it more acceptable(at least to me)

Only "a bit"? They have massacred the setting adding non-sensical stuff here and there!

Didn't people used to say that about Fallout 2 with the talking Deathclaw and what not?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It never a surprise, but that didn't make it more acceptable(at least to me)

Sure, but that's your personal thing. It has nothing to do with the overall quality of the game. It's just a Bethesda-style Fallout.

Didn't people used to say that about Fallout 2 with the talking Deathclaw and what not?

If anyone eventually makes a horrible Fallout 12-2 or something we can look back fondly and remember how good FO3, 4 and 5 were compared to that crap.

Edited by Purkake

I think that DLC was supposed to be a joke.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

A bad joke, maybe.

it did seem like a waste to make a whole dlc a joke. why not release something worthwhile instead of more shooting action.

maybe release an "rpg" pack, something with some meat to it and not just more things to shoot at.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

it did seem like a waste to make a whole dlc a joke. why not release something worthwhile instead of more shooting action.

maybe release an "rpg" pack, something with some meat to it and not just more things to shoot at.

It was pretty much a shooter romp, but i did like the visuals.

I would have rather had more of a Point Lookout DLC.

It was pretty much a shooter romp, but i did like the visuals.

I would have rather had more of a Point Lookout DLC.

That's next.

I think PL was the best DLC by far, although I'm more interested in background for sandbox play then most anything else, so your mileage may vary.