Far Cry 2 question

Walsingham

I'm playing the game through a second time, and taking my time. I've got something like 56 of 57 checkpoints and i can't find the last one. What happens when I do?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The game stops being boring... ?

I don't know. Check a walkthrough or google it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yeah, I don't know if anything happens. Maybe you get an achievement or something?

I played a lot of Far Cry 2 but I'm not sure I hit all the check points. Maybe I did. Can't remember.

Good game, btw. Though I expect my view on that is a minority one.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm tempted to buy but I hear tell there's a corrupted save bug which renders the game unbeatable. Anyone else heard this?

Nope.

It was like $20 on Amazon some time ago, don't know if it still is.

EDIT: $30 on Steam.

Edited by Purkake

Just don't go in expecting a hardcore shooter, it's more of a fun open world romp than a tightly paced shooter.

The respawn is pretty annoying, but most of the time you can just plow through the checkpoints without having to kill everyone there.

Edited by Purkake

i usually dislike respawning enemies, it makes me feel like I'm wasting my time. it's actually the reason I never bothered getting far cry 2

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I don't like them because I hate having enemies potentially coming from behind or being in areas that should be safe/cleared out. This only applies for closed-space games like System Shock 2 and the like. It's only annoying in Farcry 2 because you have to go through the same checkpoints a billion times.

I don't like them because I hate having enemies potentially coming from behind or being in areas that should be safe/cleared out. This only applies for closed-space games like System Shock 2 and the like. It's only annoying in Farcry 2 because you have to go through the same checkpoints a billion times.

yeah my biggest problem with system shock 2 is the respawning enemies. I like how in the new batman game, there are a few, explained, respawns, but once you really start whittling down the inmate population the respawns stop and by the end of the game the island is a ghost town. its really awesome. some games must have respawns to work though, like outdoor spaces in open world games, imagine if in fallout 3 you killed every single raider in the whole area and none were left.

actually you know what? that sounds really cool to me.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Far Cry 2 does have one of the best healing systems I've seen in a FPS game.

This video is much easier to see the animations and includes more, if not all of them. Let the whincing proceed.

Mine is better, the sound effects are half of the fun and they are absent in your video.

Also, the healing system itself is no better than most other FPSs, but the animations are super special awesome.

Edited by Purkake

Respawning enemies don't bother me in the least, which is no doubt one of the reasons I'm generally very positive about Farcry 2.

Respawns are almost required in any sort of non-linear game, especially an open world one.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Respawning didn't bother me too much, but it was rather annoying when I realised I was going down the wrong road and turned around only to find the checkpoint I destroyed less than a minute ago was back.

I had a much bigger problem with the fact that the world just didn't seem very alive.

Respawning didn't bother me too much, but it was rather annoying when I realised I was going down the wrong road and turned around only to find the checkpoint I destroyed less than a minute ago was back.

The respawn rate was pretty ridiculous. It does make me wonder what was going through the developers mind.

Still, once I realized that the respawn rate was that fast I just either

a) Never went back the way I came

b) Stealthed on foot and avoided the checkpoints.

Stealth worked pretty well in the game and I found I could pretty much avoid all contact if I wanted to.

I had a much bigger problem with the fact that the world just didn't seem very alive.

Agreed. Specifically for me that there was

A) no actual inter-faction combat

B) No non-combatant population

The lack of both took a well-realized gameworld and made it seem quite artificial. Which seem to me to sort of defeat the purpose of spending so much time making the enviornment of the gameworld seem authentic.

Still, once I realized that the respawn rate was that fast I just either

a) Never went back the way I came

b) Stealthed on foot and avoided the checkpoints.

I did exactly the same thing.

The lack of both took a well-realized gameworld and made it seem quite artificial. Which seem to me to sort of defeat the purpose of spending so much time making the enviornment of the gameworld seem authentic.

Did you ever play Boiling Point? It was like the opposite of FC2. The huge jungle environment was pretty boring thanks to having only a few elements copy/pasted a million times, but having different factions made things interesting. You'd have to slow down so they could identify you, and you could help them when rival factions attacked. I was expecting the same sort of thing from FC2.

I actually enjoyed Far Cry 2 and played it through to the end. But the respawning almost killed it for me. I played through the first map and noticed it was tiresome, even though the game was a lot of fun. But then the second map opened up, and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I let it lie for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden it was fun again.

I loved trying to find all those diamonds. I never did, but I got a lot of them. Enough to buy every single weapon in the game at least..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I thought the game did a really good job with stealth. My favorite loadout, even later in the game, was the silenced Mp5 and the dart rifle while carrying the M79 for those moments when explosions seemed the best solution to a problem.

One thing I loved was how good the AI was at running you over with a vehicle if they caught you out in the open on foot. It was always a good idea to have a handy tree nearby to duck behind if the AI started charging you with a jeep.

\

@HK: I remember hearing about it but I never played. I think I'll go try and track down a copy when I have a moment. Thanks.

I thought the game did a really good job with stealth.

I probably had the most fun when using stealth. It's always satisfying getting in and out killing only the target

@HK: I remember hearing about it but I never played. I think I'll go try and track down a copy when I have a moment. Thanks.

It's pretty rough around the edges*, but I suppose if you get find it for a cheap price there's no harm in trying it out.

*The other parts are also pretty rough.