So, Is this game delayed or not?

Why should anything be screwed? If we go by the leaked SCEA stuff, SEGA could've panicked and told Obs to change stuff, which takes time. Most previewers liked it, so it's not like the game is unplayable or something.

Which would be strange, since Sega hasn't seemed to be that interested in spending money to promote AP.

AP is still up on Steam as coming soon (October 09).

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Since it has gotten the PR it has, and the previews shown off so recently and whatnot, it would suggest that the game is at least close to being finished. It'd be a really strange move if Sega just threw that away. Aliens wasn't close to being finished, it hadn't even been shown off at all.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Since it has gotten the PR it has, and the previews shown off so recently and whatnot, it would suggest that the game is at least close to being finished. It'd be a really strange move if Sega just threw that away. Aliens wasn't close to being finished, it hadn't even been shown off at all.

Agreed. Everything points to some kind of marketing move. The situation reminds me a little of what happened with Mysteries of Westgate - the damn thing was done, but Atari insisted on sitting on it for what was ultimately pointless reasons. Fortunately, Obsidian's already been paid, so it's not like they're getting financially hurt by all of this.

We're speculating on the current state of the game. This is the forum of the games developer. Is it asking too much for some official comment from Obsidian?

They can't say anything without sega's approval.

I can think of like five other companies that would have at the very least dropped a "we'll have something soon guys, hold tight" comment to their communities after an 11 page thread titled "Is this game delayed or not?"

I can think of like five other companies that would have at the very least dropped a "we'll have something soon guys, hold tight" comment to their communities after an 11 page thread titled "Is this game delayed or not?"

And I can think of three big publishers that say "When we tell you not to say anything, it's not a suggestion" - EA, Bethesda, and Sony. Personal experience.

What the frak?!?! June of 2010?!?!?! No game is worth that much of a wait. I guess I will cancel my pre-order and move that money to Dragon Age. I won't set up another pre-order for Alpha until it goes gold. If it goes gold.

I just have to laugh at your "If it goes gold" comment, while also discussing Dragon Age, given your previous assertions that Dragon Age was vaporware :)

I can support Bouncer's assertion too.

I actually asked for an explanation and Derek French explained to me why. A lot of it was relating to the legal issues relating to publicly traded companies.

Having said all that, it certainly explains SEGA's silence about the game.

Edited by alanschu

I've pretty much lost all interest in Obsidian as a game company (same for Bioware). They're not Black Isle.

I feel kind of sad to be saying that, but with Aliens dead, lots of mixed vibes about Alpha Protocol's direction (if it has one), and a Fallout game that looks like it'll simply mimic Bethesda instead of returning to Fallout's roots, I see little to get me excited. Meanwhile, NWN2 (haven't played MotB) and KOTOR2 were mediocre. *sigh*

At least I've got Blizzard and Valve left.

Pretty strong sentiments... but can't say I disagree with any of that.

Just got an e-mail from amazon.ca:

Hello from Amazon.ca. We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on August 18 2009.

"Alpha Protocol"

Estimated ship date: July 05 2010

Shipping date of July 5th would make it 5 days after the new projected release date for AP, which is about right for amazon, at least in my experience.

Guess that makes it all at least semi-official. I'm still not cancelling the pre-order. amazon doesn't charge me anything until the item ships, so i'm not out any money.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I actually asked for an explanation and Derek French explained to me why. A lot of it was relating to the legal issues relating to publicly traded companies.

Yarp. The problem is that the information is obviously getting released to retailers, so holding back on the official press releases when said retailers are basically leaking the info is in my professional opinion not a sound way of doing it.

Of course, I'm a transport lawyer, so I probably know as much about this as Joe Sixpack.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

SEGA don

Thats what hapens when Bethesda gets greedy and sells to someone else who has no idea on how to make a game. Obsiian can kiss my a** if they delay this game. I will never buy there products again.

What's it with all the trolls. Their bridges get closed down and they are looking for a new home?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif