Console decision time

Monte Carlo

Make a list of every game you might want for every system you're considering, then compare them. Unless you're planning to play games with buddies who already have a specific system, you should base it completely on what games you'd actually want from it rather than just getting one or the other for the heck of it. They all have a good selection of games to accommodate broad tastes. I personally prefer the 360, but that's because I find the PS3 to have pretty sucky online for the most part, so I avoid it except for exclusives (a few of those are pretty awesome, I'll give it that). I don't have a Wii, but I guess I want to play Super Metroid and Sin & Punishment 1/2.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I have a pretty good PC (year old now) and a PS3 and pretty much have most of my gaming bases covered. I also have a Wii, which I hardly ever play except for when there are a few people over hanging out.

As previously mentioned, most games I might consider playing that come out on 360 also come out on PC, so I can snag the same game for cheaper and play with better graphics, load times, etc. I'm not a big shooter fan, so I don't feel bad missing big games like Halo 3 or Gears of War 2. I wanted a PS3 so I could play MGS4, but I've found a lot of fun with other games like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Valkyria Chronicles as well as other multi-platform games like Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider Underworld, Overlord. I usually rent PS3 games since I find paying $60 for a game I'll most likely play once a bit excessive. If I really like a particular game I've played, I'll wait and buy for PC later.

I also recently got a HDTV and I have watched some Blu-ray movies. The picture quality really is astounding.

I think PS3 + PC is pretty good combo.

I'll avoid the console holy wars right now. In terms of TV selection, I've just bought a Samsung B650 series LCD and am pretty pleased with it. General reviews seem to show Samsung ever so slightly ahead of Sony (Z5500) in terms of display quality for LCDs and those two are the current market leaders, but the inbuilt speakers are pretty poor. Ignore the TVs marketed as 'LED,' they're just plain LCD TVs but with LED backlights instead of standard CFL backlights.

Plasma remains a very viable option even though conventional wisdom recommends against them for gaming. LCDs are getting closer but still can't beat Plasmas for deep blacks. Risk of permanent damage from burn-in is now fairly negligible with current generation plasmas, but some image retention will still occur - e.g. you might come home from work and find that for a couple of hours you can still see the silhouette of some game's HUD because your kid left the game paused and walked away for a few hours during the day. Pioneer have unfortunately pulled out of the plasma market, however their TVs are still best-in-class if you can find any stock still around. Both Samsung and Panasonic are about a generation behind here. Samsung has the edge in colour reproduction and ambient light tolerance, while Panasonic has the better blacks and better inbuilt speakers. I'd say Samsung for general use but Panasonic for serious movie watching (in darkened rooms).

For serious Blu-ray viewing, the Oppo BD-83 is a clear pick ahead of any other mainstream player I'd say.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

And many of the gaming studios are starting to make games for PS3 first and then port it to other systems, because many programmers (and at least one from Obsidian :ermm:) mentioned it is much easier to port from PS3 to Xbox360 than vice versa...

I'm going to call this bull unless you have some links to back it up.

If the developers say anything at all, it's that programming for the PS3 is different and more difficult than the other platforms. Porting between the 360 and PC is pretty doable, which is why we're seeing a lot of 360 games on the PC as well.

Surely that would be consistent with doing PS3 first and ramping down from there?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption is good, Blazing Angels is very good, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law is hilarious, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is good. And they are all for Wii.

Blazing Angels was pretty horrible.

:) Not true. BA is one of the best games I have ever played. And add Wii Sports: Bowling and Tennis on that list too. Bowling is fun!

Play more games then, even the critics hated it.

You see that's the nice thing about life - we all have different EXPERIENCES. So, when we share them, of course we show respect to one another b/c we live in our own individualised self-support systems. And if we do not share them, we sort of get stuck and think only our experiences are normative - nice to be humbled by sharing ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Now this reminds me of you saying in other thread, about Boo frowning upon people who like console FPS games, because he thinks they are rubish, and now you frown upon someone who likes a game who you think is rubbish...

Hypocrisy much?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Now this reminds me of you saying in other thread, about Boo frowning upon people who like console FPS games, because he thinks they are rubish, and now you frown upon someone who likes a game who you think is rubbish...

Hypocrisy much?

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, I just don't think that Blazing Angels should be put forth as a reason to get the Wii.

I don't have a problem with anyone thinking that console FPS games are rubbish, the problem comes when you say that all console FPS games are inherently inferior to PC FPS games or somehow less fun. Anyway, we cleared it up with Boo.