Yo Ho Kablammo

Nightshape

As some of you may know, a few years ago I started work at a small start-up games company called Canalside Studio's (University in house games studio). I spent a year at Canalside working on a game called Yo Ho Kablammo, this was the year that it came second in the Dream Build Play competition.

My contract ended after a year, I went on to finish my degree, and get a professional games industry job.

The next year of guys from the University, plus some of those which chose to stay on and finish up the game have finally done so, it's had an immensely long development cycle for a game so small, but it's done.

You can now buy Yo Ho Kablammo from XBLA for 800 MS points.

:) Enjoy.

Screenies and stuff

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

As some of you may know, a few years ago I started work at a small start-up games company called Canalside Studio's (University in house games studio). I spent a year at Canalside working on a game called Yo Ho Kablammo, this was the year that it came second in the Dream Build Play competition.

My contract ended after a year, I went on to finish my degree, and get a professional games industry job.

The next year of guys from the University, plus some of those which chose to stay on and finish up the game have finally done so, it's had an immensely long development cycle for a game so small, but it's done.

You can now buy Yo Ho Kablammo from XBLA for 800 MS points.

:p Enjoy.

Screenies and stuff

I'm sorry, but advertising a product is strictly forbidden on these forums. I'm going to have to report you.

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment Nightshape - I hope you indeed have a sense of accomplishment! Krezack, however, is correct. It is a slippery slope to allow soliciting, even from regular members of the community. Iw ill close the thread down and please do know that this seems like something that should be a plume in your hat :p

F

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment Nightshape - I hope you indeed have a sense of accomplishment! Krezack, however, is correct. It is a slippery slope to allow soliciting, even from regular members of the community. Iw ill close the thread down and please do know that this seems like something that should be a plume in your hat :)

F

Well I have been most appropriately impressed by our wee community here. I have had several PMs concerning this closure and it seems that there is a strong desire to acknowledge that this post was not intended to solicit, but to share. After taking seriously these voices, I feel that it makes sense to unlock this thread. I thank you all who PM'd me of the reminder that there are people here who not only troll and bait, but care and respect one another. Now to go take my happy moment to the Roost ;)

with thanks,

F

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

The real fun comes from the press releases:

Immerse yourself in the fully 3-D pirate world of Yo-Ho Kablammo. Master your vessel and take to the seas in this frantic action-packed game. Blast your foes with cannon fire, collect numerous power-ups to give you the upper hand, and collect the spoils of your victory. Set your sails and navigate a variety of ships all with unique playing styles.

Play the single player challenges or battle your friends in multiplayer madness online and offline, to show who the true pirate is. Only one can survive in these ruthless times, will it be you? Your ship awaits, captain!

Maybe they'll talk about it on the Giant Bombcast.

Edited by Purkake

Any chance it will come to Sony Home or get released on the PC? Maybe via Steam?

Actually, it's the Playstation Network or PSN :*

The Giant Bomb guys only made an offhand remark about the quality of XBLA games falling after the "Summer of Arcade". Watch out though, you'll be going up against Defense Grid, which is a good game AFAIK.

Any chance it will come to Sony Home or get released on the PC? Maybe via Steam?

I believe the deal was exclusive to Microsoft, so no Sony Home :teehee:.

But a PC version does exist. Its not likely to legally see the light of day and it's probably a few years out of date. It was actually the PC prototype version I was mostly involved with.

Edited by Nightshape

On another note, it's also currently rated THE WORST GAME ON THE XBOX EVER!

Which is kinda funny considering its 3 year development cycle.

This is where I know state "I ONLY WORKED ON THE PROTOTYPE!"

So you broke it and left? :down:

I left 2 years ago. . . Dag Nabit, I hid those bugs well.

First review is up...

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/102/1021370p1.html

Oh yeah 5.3/10

:D That's more than half right lol

Obviously no one from the team took the game journalists out for dinner and a show. They're feeling cranky and unloved.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

First review is up...

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/102/1021370p1.html

Oh yeah 5.3/10

:D That's more than half right lol

Obviously no one from the team took the game journalists out for dinner and a show. They're feeling cranky and unloved.

While true, it's actually a fair and objective review of the game.

Alot of bad decisions happend in the two years since I left.

Edit: Who would have ever expected me to say that about games journalists.

Edited by Nightshape

Edit: Who would have ever expected me to say that about games journalists.

Not me. I almost fell out of my chair in shock. :teehee:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.