Am I being paranoid

Walsingham

Our government is considering putting a cap on on the number of new liquor licenses given out because they think we drink too much, and it's bad for our health. Nanny state indeed.

Ours just passed a bill placing something like a 100% tax on 'alcopops' (soft drinks with alcohol in them) because "think of the children". Apparently this will stop binge drinking, because teens aren't smart enough to buy a far less expensive bottle of boubon or vodka + lemonade or coke.

Uhm.. Stumbled over it in Aftenposten.no. According to the Grazia they wanted to double it. But who knows.

DailyMail operates with 30 to 50p.

In Norway the right-wing Christian party came down with furious anger on da booz during their last period.

It's a Christian conspiracy, I swear it.. :)

J.

I don't see any problem with increasing duty on very strong lagers and artificial alcohol. Pair that with reducing duty on lighter session ales and you've got a winner.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I went into a pub in the UK once. I got stared at by the locals while there with such intensity! It was very unwelcoming, as if I'd walked into a horror movie like The Wicker Man but without Christopher Lee, naked women dancing around and me being burned to death in a giant wooden effigy.

It was awesome! It'd be a real pity to lose that sort of thing, I think.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

...my ass would probably be worth the most compared to anyones here.

Nope. I can tell you that this is most likely not true. Your net-worth is not going to be the most here. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

People need a place where they can come together and drink, I find. Responsibly, I might add. As a guy whose father was a drunk I know how it is to grow up in an environment where one's father drinks, not fun, I tell you. Thus, I'm for anything that limits people's drinking; the most effecttive way is to raise taxes on alcohol, that is, wine, beer and hard liquour. But people should, of course, still have a place such as a public house (pub) where they can come and drink and talk with friends etc.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

I drink, often to excess, and the toll of my drink fuelled anarchy amounts to:

1. 3 fights resolved peacefully

2. 1 heroic intervention to save a girl from a guy 40 kilos heavier than me, and a foot taller.

3. A large number of women danced with then snogged

4. A larger number of foul fast food meals consumed

5. A smaller number of vomiting sessions

Drink doesn't automatically turn you into a ****. Even if it seems to, the answer is to stop that person from drinking, not everyone along with them.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So ...hmmm to the former?

Huh?

-Elwood Blues

Drink doesn't automatically turn you into a ****. Even if it seems to, the answer is to stop that person from drinking, not everyone along with them.

How will this stop them from drinking? They better be carrying a scarlet letter or how else would a bartender know they have been "outlawed from drinking". Also, arent bars in the UK just allowed to toss and ban someone? There has to be a law for this? Ever hear of a bouncer?

Man, bouncers here are such ****s. I've been thrown down the stairs at least twice from memory. Probably many more times that I can't remember.

Once I woke up with a shallow knife wound on my chest after a particularly big night. But that's neither here nor there.

I hate bouncers. They get away with murder.

I don't see why you shouldn't have a drinking license. You get points for being found incapable, hitting people, breaking windows etc etc. If you lose your license you can't get served for the duration of your drinking ban. That would also serev to tackle underage drinking. Hell, why not have a learner's drinking license, where you can only have non-spirits?

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/61...-in-London.html

Research proves the takeover of the pub industry by a cartel has driven up beer prices by up to 80p a pint. And what's been done about it? **** all.

-Elwood Blues

Research proves the takeover of the pub industry by a cartel has driven up beer prices by up to 80p a pint. And what's been done about it? **** all.

Come to Australia. The beer is better here, and the women have tans and teeth.

The beer is NOT better there. British ale is the best in the world. full stop.

-Elwood Blues

Come to Australia. The beer is better here, and the women have tans and teeth.

The beer is NOT better there. British ale is the best in the world. full stop.

Bull****. Irish beer is the best you'll ever find.

But fine, the beer is cheaper here.

And better.

Edited by Krezack