Achievements?

Now, now. Let's not be homocultural.

(Yes, go on, adopt that ridiculous term with its ironic undertones, go on)

I liked the idea of achievements when I first heard them, because I think they'd be fun for silly, weird or odd things that you do - and, especially, if the list of achievements is never revealed until you do them. All you know is there are 10 achievements in a game, and then, ding, you might get one for finding a dozen secret passages in Thief, or sticking fifty arrows in a single target like a pincushion in Oblivion, or destroying a hundred cliff racers in Morrowind. Things that are a wry sort of communication between dev and player and reward you for playing the game your way.

But y'know, now we have ridiculous achievements for, say, completing compulsory plot points (YOU ARE A GREY WARDEN, CONGRATULATIONS) that are like, well, getting a medal for having arms, and the list gets published even before the game. Kind of pointless, you'd think.

Now, now. Let's not be homocultural.

(Yes, go on, adopt that ridiculous term with its ironic undertones, go on)

I liked the idea of achievements when I first heard them, because I think they'd be fun for silly, weird or odd things that you do - and, especially, if the list of achievements is never revealed until you do them. All you know is there are 10 achievements in a game, and then, ding, you might get one for finding a dozen secret passages in Thief, or sticking fifty arrows in a single target like a pincushion in Oblivion, or destroying a hundred cliff racers in Morrowind. Things that are a wry sort of communication between dev and player and reward you for playing the game your way.

But y'know, now we have ridiculous achievements for, say, completing compulsory plot points (YOU ARE A GREY WARDEN, CONGRATULATIONS) that are like, well, getting a medal for having arms, and the list gets published even before the game. Kind of pointless, you'd think.

I'll agree that they could certainly be used better. Fallout 3 suffers from what you mentioned, before you ever exit the vault. You have a pip-boy, here's an achievement! You chose your skills, here's another achievement! You got out of the vault, wow, you're already at three achievements! I could be cynical and wonder why they didn't give you one for being born in the first seconds of the game, but just as games that are utterly pointless and not worth playing don't make games as a whole pointless, some pointless achievements don't make achievements as a whole pointless. They just aren't utilized to their potential yet.

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

I've never understood the whole Achievement thing. It means... utterly nothing.

Maybe I am getting too old or something....

Likewise; "Well done! You killed 150 orcs geth that were necessary to kill just to get through this game!"

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Likewise; "Well done! You killed 150 orcs geth that were necessary to kill just to get through this game!"

It was 250 Geth, which I believe was not necessary ... anyway, this achievement seems to be there to give you that +10% shields bonus.

Taliban Bum licker ( if you let the terroists live)

I will say that our Achievements have much better names :p

Yeah, let me see you beat that one. JUST TRY IT.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guess it's a good thing Games for Windows isn't supported in my country.

Wait, that's why I couldn't play a bunch of games online. Go to hell Gates.

Why not just create account with supported address?

At first I didn't know a valid address and by the time I did, I stopped caring.

I liked the idea of achievements when I first heard them, because I think they'd be fun for silly, weird or odd things that you do - and, especially, if the list of achievements is never revealed until you do them.

That's fine as long as: the list is not revealed to you, and you don't have some sort of 'achievement counter'.

• 7 months later...
"Alpha Protocol Achievements Revealed: French website Succes Full is offering up a list of all fifty achievements in Obsidian Entertainment's Alpha Protocol. Since specific missions and assassinations are mentioned, a big spoiler warning applies."

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97459-alph...s-revealed.html

It's actually not all that spoilerific-- the bottom 20 or so are all still listed as "secret achievements." That's probably just a list as revealed to the player relatively early on in the game.

The fact that the "No Time for Love" achievement gives more points than the "Ladies Man" achievement made me smile. Of course, that's probably to offset the fact that the individual "conquests" are likely among the "secret achievements" at the bottom.

Also, the just had to get the word "Deus" in there... (For the record

Deus Vult means either "god wishes" or, more likely, "god be willing."

)

Edited by Enoch