GRIN - maker of GRAW, Bionic Commando etc. Closedown

Gamasutra has learned from reliable development sources that Stockholm-based developer GRIN has seen significant layoffs, and may be facing difficulty staying afloat.

The news comes after the company saw heavy layoffs earlier this year, no doubt the partial result of weaker-than-expected sales and critical reception to 2009 games like Bionic Commando, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, and Terminator Salvation.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24786

Some guys from my Uni that works there have confirmed that they're closing down, and no one knows why yet. Swede paper IDG reports that ex-employees have said that it was because they lost contracts they had counted on getting.

So whats the lesson here? Dont count on keeping yourself afloat by churning out an endless stream of mediocre-to-bad games?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I would have liked to say something polite but I haven't played a game from them.

GRAW was praised by some of my friends but I never played it. Also Movie and Old game ports seem to be dead end for a lot of companies. When will they ever learn?

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

So whats the lesson here? Dont count on keeping yourself afloat by churning out an endless stream of mediocre-to-bad games?

Or don't count on Zenimax Media to buy you out?

Or EA.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Gamasutra has learned from reliable development sources that Stockholm-based developer GRIN has seen significant layoffs, and may be facing difficulty staying afloat.

The news comes after the company saw heavy layoffs earlier this year, no doubt the partial result of weaker-than-expected sales and critical reception to 2009 games like Bionic Commando, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, and Terminator Salvation.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24786

Some guys from my Uni that works there have confirmed that they're closing down, and no one knows why yet. Swede paper IDG reports that ex-employees have said that it was because they lost contracts they had counted on getting.

Grin *shudders*, you're right though, what else can you expect from a developer that churns out so much crap.

Talking of which Kaft me olde, when you gunna finally get an industry job and start being a real designer opposed to sitting in ye white tower proclaiming magnificence?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I couldnt actually be bothered to play the final release of BC, but I heard it took stupidity to a new level. Pretty, though.

Talking of which Kaft me olde, when you gunna finally get an industry job and start being a real designer opposed to sitting in ye white tower proclaiming magnificence?

With both Avalanche and GRIN doing massive layoffs/closing the job market is oversaturated. And foreign companies dont hire foreigners without years of industry experience, so it looks grim. Im thinking about becoming a magician/illusionist instead, I hear there is money to be made in that particular banana stand.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I couldnt actually be bothered to play the final release of BC, but I heard it took stupidity to a new level. Pretty, though.

Bionic Commando end spoiler:

Your lost wife is actually your bionic ARM

Edited by Purkake

Guest Slinky
Bionic Commando end spoiler:

Your lost wife is actually your bionic ARM

Well, that takes all the fun out of masturbating, eh?

facepalm_implied2.jpg

I thought it was a classy and thought-out joke. I mean, it's the perfect setup, youd have to be insane not to go for it.

both Avalanche and GRIN doing massive layoffs/closing the job market is oversaturated. And foreign companies dont hire foreigners without years of industry experience, so it looks grim. Im thinking about becoming a magician/illusionist instead, I hear there is money to be made in that particular banana stand.

Stay away from games biz. Long hours and most likely project will be crap anyway... or get cancelled ;)

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

With both Avalanche and GRIN doing massive layoffs/closing the job market is oversaturated. And foreign companies dont hire foreigners without years of industry experience, so it looks grim. Im thinking about becoming a magician/illusionist instead, I hear there is money to be made in that particular banana stand.

We've hired both a Swedish and French graduates. So you're wrong, I think you're workshy.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

We've hired both a Swedish and French graduates. So you're wrong, I think you're workshy.

You know what? I think you're saying that because you dont think being a magician is a real career. Well, let me tell you buddy, it is!

You wouldnt happen to be hiring 3d artists at the moment, would you?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, it would have been funny to see how bad the Final Fantasy game would have been. The fanboy meltdowns could have been potentially awesome.

Nothing beats the meltdowns after FFXIII was announced for the 360 last year, though.

Edited by Purkake

Couldn't be worse than X-2, right?

... right?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Although I will admit an american-made (or at least GRIN-made) Final Fantasy would have been hilarious.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Although I will admit an american-made (or at least GRIN-made) Final Fantasy would have been hilarious.

Fanboy RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! :ermm:

It would still sell though, even the most hardcore fans would be curious.

Edited by Syraxis