Ad campaign/hype?

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/square-...games-20090423/

2 million

EDIT: That's the franchise. Though I'm skeptical that Deus Ex 2 makes up any significant chunk of that, given how poorly received it was.

I'll look a bit more later.

EDIT 2: Hmmm, I remember it doing fairly well. Well enough for a GOTY edition as well. The number I was going to say off the top of my head was over a million sold, but not really sure if that was the case.

Having said that, it did underperform IMO, because IMO it's probably the best game I've ever played =D

Edited by alanschu

I agree that it's sad to see this game end up like Deus Ex or No One Lives Forever or Torment (great games with soft sales due to lack of an advertisement push), which it invariably will.

I was always under the impression that Deus Ex sold quite well later on...

So did Torment. But that's not what publishers, and even dev studios themselves, tend to look at.

I think Torment reached 500k (not counting stupid $5 version sales like 10 years later)?

MCA mentions here (plug, plug) that Torment turned a profit, though not one that exceeded that of Baldur's Gate... which had 2m sales, so that's perhaps to be expected.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Agree with OP. I have three games pre-ordered and want to add Alpha Protocol, right now I'm not convinced though... the E3 demoes were extremely glitchy and buggy and the game looked very unpolished to me. Almost none of my shooter/RPG friends know or are even interested in this, very little hype, mini previews with few comments, little word of mouth, even this official forum seems quiet.. isn't the game coming out early october?

Yes and that's the problem -release date is so close and the game is practically an unknown.

Maybe if they dropped the price down to about $10, it would get more sales. Just a suggestion.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Get Fox to run a sex scandal article.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Yes. Make some bungled comment about children and sex in the game. That'll get it talked about. >.>

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Yes and that's the problem -release date is so close and the game is practically an unknown.

Maybe if they dropped the price down to about $10, it would get more sales. Just a suggestion.

Say the average game sells for $40 and they expect to get 1 million sales with that price.

Then if they want to sell it for $20 on the potential of increased sales they need to sell 2 million copies. Now it's quite possible that such a price reduction would end up selling 3 or 4 million copies instead (probably), but how do you model that?

So you can see the dilemma here: what's the sweet point for cost that maximises profit? It's certainly not the highest number you can think of, but it's also not the lowest.

Unfortunately, I fear most game publishers these days fall on the "as high as you can think of" end of the spectrum.

Say the average game sells for $40 and they expect to get 1 million sales with that price. :)

Then if they want to sell it for $20 on the potential of increased sales they need to sell 2 million copies. Now it's quite possible that such a price reduction would :) end up selling 3 or 4 million copies instead (probably), but how do you model that?

So you can see the dilemma here: what :) 's the sweet point for cost that maximises profit? It's certainly not the highest number you can think of, but it's also :) not the lowest.

Unfortunately, I fear most game publishers these days :) fall on the "as high as you can think of" end of the spectrum.

Exactly. But there was no need to put all those smileys in your post.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got my new issue of GI in today to see two pages of Alpha Protocol ads.
lol you still buy GI.

I have two major memories of Game Informer:

1. They gave Paper Mario 2 (or whatever the hell) a bad rating because they didn't like the plot, even though they thought the gameplay was good.

2. They said Mad Catz makes quality controllers. I have bought two controllers from Mad Catz. Both of them are broken.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

I was pleasantly surprised when I got my new issue of GI in today to see two pages of Alpha Protocol ads.
lol you still buy GI.

2. They said Mad Catz makes quality controllers. I have bought two controllers from Mad Catz. Both of them are broken.

Doesn't gamestop still give out free subscriptions to Game Informer when you pick up an Edge card or something? I seem to recall them practically giving the subscriptions with every transaction at one point.

Many of the older Mad Catz controllers were absolute crap. They've made some decent stuff much more recently.

lol you still buy GI.

I have two major memories of Game Informer:

1. They gave Paper Mario 2 (or whatever the hell) a bad rating because they didn't like the plot, even though they thought the gameplay was good.

Yes, game informer reviews are usually pretty worthless.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies