Politics in the game

Perhaps, but I purchased the game based on the mission from the demo, which was the US campaign. It pissed me off to realize that in reality, the US campaing was only 5 short missions long.

While each CoD game has given the 'glory' to a different army (Russians in 1, US in 2 & Brits in 4), each army atleast got roughly the same amount of missions.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

The thing about inserting politics or real world things into the game world and comic book worlds, is that it automatically puts an arbitrary date upon the game, thus it stays relavant to the current time ONLY and as soon as the particular hot button item goes away the game looses it's value and people will not even remember it or like it very well.

We can see part of this phenomenon in the idea behind Batman:Holy Terror (where batman goes to Afghanistan and attacks Osama Bin Laden, as written by Frank Miller). I mean we don't have many games that really play on the current events. I mean there are things like Full Spectrum Warrior, but that really didn't catch on. *shrugs*

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's kind of funny to cite James Bond in a thread that says that American game companies overplay American capabilities. haha I like James Bond, damned Brit. I wonder if he ever wears Union Jack underwear? :p Hey, I agree, the US clearly can't go at everything alone, and it's perfectly legit for a game to convey that message. On the other hand, it really depends on how seriously the game treats the topic. Yeah, Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D are pretty much about an American kicking ass, but they're not meant to be real commentary. Anyhow, when I first played Wolfenstein, the hero was British. Hmm, I wonder if the original Wolfenstein were developed by Englishmen?

I'm hoping Mike can go into speeches about democracy, how much it rules and how pathetic the locals are for not embracing it while wearing his American flag underwear. It would also be awesome if he could shove baseball bats and apple pie into everyone's hands.

Great reply :)

Actually I don't envy anyone in US who writes political satire as big part of population can't get the message. Something like Fox News is like 24/7 comedy channel but it's "reality" for the many. Makes it kinda hard to be subtle...

Anyway, if game allows me to play Bush jr era poster child, a neocon hero... that'll be my first character. :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Err no in CoD4, the US and the British (the last mission in the game is a joint operation) saved the world from evil Russian ultra nationalists (whose leader has an Islamic name btw which makes no sense whatsoever), and the good russians, which were shown as lame and incompetent come only at the very ending scene, like cops in a n action movi.

Also russian ultranationalists were working alongside islamists, which is the most absurd idea ever and shows total disregard for reality.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Politics and religion make strange bedfellows, but they do sleep together. You know what it would take for ultranationalists and religious fundamentalists to work together? Self interest. :p

In certain situations perhaps. Russian ultranationalists hate islam with a passion and the same applies in reverse. But your point is valid :)

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

(where batman goes to Afghanistan and attacks Osama Bin Laden, as written by Frank Miller).

I felt that was ludicrous even at the time it was written. Mixing real world and cartoons on that level simply doesn't work for me. Using real world concepts in a generic sense in fine, but once you start bringing in real world people and places, the whole thing falls apart. FOr me.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I felt that was ludicrous even at the time it was written. Mixing real world and cartoons on that level simply doesn't work for me. Using real world concepts in a generic sense in fine, but once you start bringing in real world people and places, the whole thing falls apart. FOr me.

Supposed to be a throwback to the 40s era comics, where Superman and even Bugs Bunny took a peice out of Hitler's a$$. Problem is that the audience has changed. People back then trusted and respected their goverments and leaders. Nowdays the last few presidents haven't been worth much trust or respect, including the current.

Err no in CoD4, the US and the British (the last mission in the game is a joint operation) saved the world from evil Russian ultra nationalists (whose leader has an Islamic name btw which makes no sense whatsoever), and the good russians, which were shown as lame and incompetent come only at the very ending scene, like cops in a n action movi.

Also russian ultranationalists were working alongside islamists, which is the most absurd idea ever and shows total disregard for reality.

well... what I got from the game was that Al-Assad was supported IN SECRET by Zakiev. The Ultranationalist movement, and the Coup were (to the rest of the world) unconnected. The only strings attaching to them were Zakiev's support for both from behind the scenes.

Al-Assad wasn't seen by the Ultranationalists as their leader at ALL.

That said...

reagansmash5on2dp.jpg

Edited by Calax

Well let's look at some of the regions that we'll get to play in....Saudi Arabia, now there's a country where religion, culture and politics have no barring on each other or the lives of its citizens. Moscow, it's not like in the future that the US's hegemonic dominance is going to fade a little and Russia won't happily take up the torch in Eastern Europe. Since the game is set in the near future Obsidian only has to reference past US actions, and can do whatever they won't with politics. Who knows...maybe President Obama went in front of the UN General Assembly and apologized for the US's mistakes in handling the war in Iraq and gained international support. Or China becomes an even bigger player in the international stage, and a new Cold War in underway. I mean we're also going to Taiwan, and last time I checked their status was a little shaky (internationally speaking). I hope you get to choose what type of American political view point that you get play as cause I'm staying clear of any choice that smells like it's neo-con.

Well let's look at some of the regions that we'll get to play in....Saudi Arabia, now there's a country where religion, culture and politics have no barring on each other or the lives of its citizens. Moscow, it's not like in the future that the US's hegemonic dominance is going to fade a little and Russia won't happily take up the torch in Eastern Europe. Since the game is set in the near future Obsidian only has to reference past US actions, and can do whatever they won't with politics. Who knows...maybe President Obama went in front of the UN General Assembly and apologized for the US's mistakes in handling the war in Iraq and gained international support. Or China becomes an even bigger player in the international stage, and a new Cold War in underway. I mean we're also going to Taiwan, and last time I checked their status was a little shaky (internationally speaking). I hope you get to choose what type of American political view point that you get play as cause I'm staying clear of any choice that smells like it's neo-con.

They usually won't put that level of detail into how they're setting up the politics. Rather, they just make the villian so obviously evil that politics won't really come into it beyond "You=good, them=bad!"

As to the Saudi's not having a link between religion culture and politics you MUST be joking, if they didn't have that link then we'd probably see at least one saudi king who doesn't support islam.

Heck anymore, religion plays a LARGE role in defining a culture, particularly in that area.

They usually won't put that level of detail into how they're setting up the politics. Rather, they just make the villian so obviously evil that politics won't really come into it beyond "You=good, them=bad!"

As to the Saudi's not having a link between religion culture and politics you MUST be joking, if they didn't have that link then we'd probably see at least one saudi king who doesn't support islam.

Heck anymore, religion plays a LARGE role in defining a culture, particularly in that area.

It must have been irony...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

just a bit of an off-topic question

Will Mr. T play a major role in the game, or a minor role?

Edited by AlphaPro

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Also, the next person that insults CoD 4's storyline will get one of my personal warnings before I come to their house and beat them to death with a sledgehammer. Painfully.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I was being sarcastic...sorry if that didn't come out right. I'm actually really happy with the locations that we're going to be exploring as the are major hot spots in international politics. And I agree that the extent of the politics is going to I'm good you're bad no matter what, but the could be creative.

Yeah, the concern has been raised in earlier threads. I, too, am fed up with the American way of depicting themselves as heroes and the only just cause on the planet, whether consciously or subconsciously, but this world view seems so deeply ingrained in the common American mind that they no longer even react to/notice it. Kind of like the Chinese looking out across the borders, wondering in surprise why the rest of the world thinks they're oppressed.

I expect no more from Obsidian (it's not really their job, after all) so I'll settle for snorting derisively while playing the game. Because play it I will.

Yes, The islamists, Soviets, Putin, Chinese, Somali Pirates, Sudanese Government, Saddam Hussein, North Korea, Iranian Supreme Leader/Ahmadinejad, Castro and Chavez are simply misunderstood. No way are Americans considered the good guys when it comes to these poor souls they keep picking on. The UN has done so much to keep peace in the world too, passing a new anti-Israel resolutuion every other week yet ignoring Hamas.

More often than not, America ARE the good guys and NATO is the only international organization who gets anything done.

As for the Chinese, you prove your ignorance here. I'm sure Tibet, East Turkestan, the Falun-gong, Taiwan, The students at Tiananmen Square and the Dalai Lama are the true oppressors, right? Go ahead and "snort derisively" at them. While you're at it, you can snort derisively at the citizens of Darfur, the Tsunami victims in Thailand and the anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan; all people who America, as well as the CIA, have assisted in recent years.

Ignorance = LOL.

Supposed to be a throwback to the 40s era comics, where Superman and even Bugs Bunny took a peice out of Hitler's a$$. Problem is that the audience has changed. People back then trusted and respected their goverments and leaders. Nowdays the last few presidents haven't been worth much trust or respect, including the current.

No, the difference back then was that we were in a war we were dangerously close to losing. Thanks to some courageous leadership and some lucky breaks we came out victorious but for a long time we had no idea whether we would win or lose and the people were scared. Everyone HAD to rally around the flag. The war on terror is not taken as seriously, people seem to think we are invincible or they are too busy watching American Idol.

Yes, The islamists, Soviets, Putin, Chinese, Somali Pirates, Sudanese Government, Saddam Hussein, North Korea, Iranian Supreme Leader/Ahmadinejad, Castro and Chavez are simply misunderstood. No way are Americans considered the good guys when it comes to these poor souls they keep picking on. The UN has done so much to keep peace in the world too, passing a new anti-Israel resolutuion every other week yet ignoring Hamas.

More often than not, America ARE the good guys and NATO is the only international organization who gets anything done.

As for the Chinese, you prove your ignorance here. I'm sure Tibet, East Turkestan, the Falun-gong, Taiwan, The students at Tiananmen Square and the Dalai Lama are the true oppressors, right? Go ahead and "snort derisively" at them. While you're at it, you can snort derisively at the citizens of Darfur, the Tsunami victims in Thailand and the anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan; all people who America, as well as the CIA, have assisted in recent years.

Ignorance = LOL.

Right the whole world is wrong, from south america to japan, only the US is right. They should also bomb everyone who disagrees into dust, like they usually do.

This should also be a feature of everything from movies to computer games, because such heroism can't be given enough attention.

By the way, the soviets don't exist for just the last two decades. And as I recall Hussein ended up swinging from a gallows pole. What a good way to promote democracy :thumbsup:

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg