Modifying the Face

I actually find that sort of customization more of a chore than actual fun, as it ends up with me wasting time finding a combination of features that isn't hideous for something that has zero effect on gameplay.

It is a chore when the base game doesn't offer anything interesting. I remember running away from Morrowind and its hideous portraits :* There was ONE race that had ONE good face for ONE sex in that game :biggrin:

Sure, more options for the gamer is usually more fun
I actually find that sort of customization more of a chore than actual fun, as it ends up with me wasting time finding a combination of features that isn't hideous for something that has zero effect on gameplay. Choosing between premade heads a la KotOR is good enough for me, but even if that's not present, I won't miss it.

Oblivion style face editing was abysmal. Who ever thought adding 50 different variables to face generation was a good idea should be shot.

NWN2 face editing is OK but can still get a little overwhelming. It's probably the closest to optimal though.

I always end up making someone who looks ugly under a very specific angle and lighting. So the less customisation for me, the better.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Customization is fun when it's "core" to the game, I suppose. I mean, I heard only good things about the way you can create your character's appearance in City of Heroes. One must have one big imagination though. I know I don't have one.

True, but I think his point (and the point I tried to raise) still stands. If facial customization is going to limit someone's ability to enjoy the game, then that person has issues.

Ok look. I would have had no problems if the game didn't tout any customization options at all and everyone was stuck with the same character model and that was it. But since you supposedly can customize everything on Mikey (clothes, hair, eyes, facial hair) why stop short at the face itself? It doesn't help that Mikey's character model looks creepy and this is the face that you're stuck with throughout the entire game. He looks like a...how shall I phrase it?...rapist.

But I'm over it. I can still enjoy the game. Let's drop it.

And I never played Oblivion. I hate Bethesda.

Edited by Silvernite

I'm with 956123 on this one.

Couldn't really care less about facial customization. In games that allow for it, I generally use the random feature (if available) to just cycle through a few options until I find someone that looks suitably goofy.

Having options to add a big beard and wear stuff like glasses or a cap satisfies my inclinations towards customization.

Guest PoziomyPion

I want to see faces of those people who complain about MT's face. I bet they look bland or like a rapist.

In Fallout 3 and Mass Effect I either used a premade face for PC character or just changed things like hair color and skin tone.

It's really hard to make a character in those games that matches the premade ones. I remember restarting Mass Effect two times because of that; just when I thought I created a decent face, Shepard got shown from a diffrent angle or lighting was different than when in char creation mode and it all went to hell.

Less is more.

And what does a rapist look like?

rapist-search-news.jpg

Like everyone I guess.

Edited by PoziomyPion

Well, being able to identify with the protagonist really helps immersion. Its true that in Mass Effect its difficult to judge whether a certain face will look good in the game. Had to restart a couple of times too. But in that game (as well as in AP, I suppose) you spend so much time looking at the your characters face, I think its important for you to identify with the guy you're supposed to keep alive.

I love being able to customise the appearance of my character, but I don't really miss the feature in games that don't have it.

All games need the customisation featured in APB, which is the bestest thing ever.

Totally agree about APB. The customization on that game is sick.

Well, being able to identify with the protagonist really helps immersion. Its true that in Mass Effect its difficult to judge whether a certain face will look good in the game. Had to restart a couple of times too. But in that game (as well as in AP, I suppose) you spend so much time looking at the your characters face, I think its important for you to identify with the guy you're supposed to keep alive.

Bingo! Ding! Ding! Ding!