Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 Will Not Have LAN Support

Cool. Although Dungeon Keeper was never very fun to multiplayer unless there was a gentlemen's agreement that there would be no Scavenger Room. Otherwise it was basically just a race to get that room first, and the person who did usually won.

That is the biggest problem... as Magister Lajciak said, there are many ISP in my country which do not allow to connect more than 1 PC itno their internet unless you pay higher programme... That in other words means, that if you bring a router and connect 7 your friend into your internet account there is high probability, that next month you get penalty of around 1000 EUR for breaking the rules of your connection...

No LAN for SC2 is aswell no buy for me unless they release the SC2 Battlechest with all Single Players Campaingns in a single box... Diablo 3... i still have to think about it... i actualy never played Diablo 2 on LAN nor batlle.net so this might not be an issue for me... SC and War was in 95% cases pure LAN game for me with 4 to 10 people in one place on almost daily basis...

Never heard of that before, sounds crazy. How can they stop you from using a router/switch?

Anyway, who carries their computer around anyway? Just play from the comfort of your own house with voice chat?

If i am correct ISP can find that you are illegaly using router with deep packet inspection...

And none of my friends bring computers to my LAN... all of them bring their notebooks/laptops... 1.5 - 3kg to put in car and drive 2-3 km just to get some action was never a problem... we are all about 30 years old and we still love LAN more than playing over internet with teamspeak or ventrilo... you know drinking beer over ventrilo is pretty much retarded and that is one of the very "social" parts of LAN gaming ;)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

LAN parties were fun in last millenium with games like Doom, Warcraft 2 and Quake. After Quakeworld and Team Fortress I never looked back and LAN was just about useless as null cable. LAN still have it's place if you and your friends have about equal skill but otherwise humiliating your friends get old fast. In internet you'll always find someone better to challenge you.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

LAN parties were fun in last millenium with games like Doom, Warcraft 2 and Quake. After Quakeworld and Team Fortress I never looked back and LAN was just about useless as null cable. LAN still have it's place if you and your friends have about equal skill but otherwise humiliating your friends get old fast. In internet you'll always find someone better to challenge you.

useless for you, but i still enjoy LAN every time we play it, and we are all of us at different skill levels... we just random the teams ... 1v1 is not for LAN for sure, but 3v3 - 5v5 games or FFA is the best stuff ever...

War3 is the game for us atm, and looks like it will be the game for us for even longer :(

I outgrew LANs when highspeed became so common.

You should try to socialize outside of facebook/twitter/whatever... maybe you will find that playing against real friends face-to-face and speaking to them while doing BBQ in the garden is indeed fun...

I outgrew LANs when highspeed became so common.

You should try to socialize outside of facebook/twitter/whatever... maybe you will find that playing against real friends face-to-face and speaking to them while doing BBQ in the garden is indeed fun...

You assume I don't socialize outside of facebook/twitter/whatever. Not sure why you'd make that assumption.

I used to LAN all the time too (I figured this was obvious when I mentioned I outgrew LANs), so really I have no idea what the point of your post is, unless it's an attempt the incite a reaction out of myself.

I used to LAN all the time too (I figured this was obvious when I mentioned I outgrew LANs), so really I have no idea what the point of your post is, unless it's an attempt the incite a reaction out of myself.

Maybe the condescending tone and the implied insult doesn't sit well with everybody?

Used to to do lan parties when living back in the old country. Great fun they were too. Never got into the internet gaming much apart from muds. It just isn't the same playing with "strangers" (as if there were much else on the internet). Diablo wasn't really my thing, nor was rts games, but the fps's, the simple racing games and other small obscure action games were a blast. Anybody ever tried a Blubber Volley tournament?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe the condescending tone and the implied insult doesn't sit well with everybody?

Referring to my comment? I simply stated that I outgrew LANs once highspeed internet connections became common. LAN parties were no longer needed in order to play larger scale multiplayer games with friends. Given I have a lot of friends that play MP games, it's actually a bit easier because space was always such an issue.

If anyone thought that there was a condescending tone or an implied insult, then welcome to the internet where things like inflection and tone of voice no longer apply.

If anyone thought that there was a condescending tone or an implied insult, then welcome to the internet where things like inflection and tone of voice no longer apply.

Inflection and tone of voice don't exist, but word choice can play a big factor. What does the word outgrew imply to you? You implied that LANs were childish and that people who still enjoy them just haven't grown up yet.

High speed internet is great, but it's not the same experience as a LAN, at least not with the high speed connections that we have available here. They both have their pros and cons.

Inflection and tone of voice don't exist, but word choice can play a big factor. What does the word outgrew imply to you? You implied that LANs were childish and that people who still enjoy them just haven't grown up yet.

Meh, I used the word as in "I used to take part in LANs, but the circumstances available to me meant they were more a thing of my past."

If you prefer, I'll rephrase my statement.

I've moved on from LANs after high speed internet became more common. Having said that, LANs were more common when I was younger (17-22 years old), so in that sense, my statement still stands as I personally did outgrow them.

What does the word outgrew imply to you? You implied that LANs were childish and that people who still enjoy them just haven't grown up yet.
Yeah, because growing up is such a great thing... :o

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

What does the word outgrew imply to you? You implied that LANs were childish and that people who still enjoy them just haven't grown up yet.
Yeah, because growing up is such a great thing... :o

I miss Duck Tales and Street Sharks. ._.

While the LAN experience is certainly different from playing online, I feel that it was a necessity at the time. You had to choose between slow, laggy and unreliable online or snappy awesome LAN, the choice was clear. Nowadays I feel that it's more of a nostalgia thing, like people who like to read dead tree newspapers instead of online news etc.

I'm not saying LAN isn't viable, but broadband has made it obsolete, it's pretty much a niche thing these days. It's hard enough to get people together online, getting them together in real life is pain.

Edited by Purkake

Out of my friends and I that used to LAN together, I'd probably be the only one with really any interest at all in doing another one. Many of them have wives and kids now, and don't have as much time to game. Committing a full day with all the network hookups, computer transportation, and so forth is really a large time commitment.

They probably did this for Hamachi at least until a couple months ago I am pretty you could play pirated Warcraft 3 on b.net with a combination of hamachi and list checker so long as you had a friend with a legit key host for you.

In college we all played LAN DOTA using only one copy of warcraft 3, I am pretty sure there is a large market there. Though if it weren't for LAN we wouldn't have played anyways since none of us were going to shell out money for the actual game.

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

They probably did this for Hamachi at least until a couple months ago I am pretty you could play pirated Warcraft 3 on b.net with a combination of hamachi and list checker so long as you had a friend with a legit key host for you.

In college we all played LAN DOTA using only one copy of warcraft 3, I am pretty sure there is a large market there. Though if it weren't for LAN we wouldn't have played anyways since none of us were going to shell out money for the actual game.

You didn't need to use b.net - you just use Hamachi to trick the LAN into thinking you're next to eachother when they could be in Azerbaijan for all you know. But Hamachi isn't illegal nor does it imply you are illegally playing the game - I use it with some American friends to play Diablo 2 LAN these days because otherwise firewalls and routers chuck a ****.

Edited by Krezack

I don't think his point was that you needed battle.net.

Can you use it to play Warcraft 3 over battle.net though? If you can, then this starts to actually make sense as an anti-piracy measure, which before seemed pretty bollocks to me.

connecting to battle.net with hammachi running in background is impossible... (if it is not blacklisted, it might be possible to solve with port forwarding)

you can't connect to battle.net without real cd-key... but you can connect to battle.net with pirated w3, if you did download the real cd-key aswell, key generator is useless, because it guess the real cd-key maybe in 1 out of 1000 attempts... but two same cd-keys can't connect to battle.net at same time...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Can you use it to play Warcraft 3 over battle.net though? If you can, then this starts to actually make sense as an anti-piracy measure, which before seemed pretty bollocks to me.

No.

But people easily make false b.net servers anyway. Which has nothing to do with LAN play or Hamachi.

Are you guys sure? I am pretty sure the way it worked was a friend would host the game under a real LAN the then everyone else makes real LAN connections to the game, and then once all your buddies have joined, you host the game on b.net using list checker to get a bunch of b.net players, this was how we did it for DOTA when we wanted to do a pub stomp on battle.net. So all the LAN players who joined the game prior to hosting on b.net could be playing off the same cd-key.

Hamachi was for if two of us weren't actually under the same real LAN.

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."