Topics for Cretins: Fallout 3

I have a mod in the works that changes the skill point formula and base skills to something closer to Fallout 1, but rebalanced for Fallout 3.

Since Fo3's skills go up to 100 instead of 200 and there are 13 skills instead of 18 I did it like this:

(3 + Int) * .70

Tag skills increase by 2 per point and get an initial bonus of 10.

Base skills are adjusted to be more like Fo1- for example big guns and energy weapons start off incredibly low, but most other combat skills start off somewhat higher (unarmed specifically gets a huge boost) The luck bonus is unchanged, so it's slightly more forgiving than it sounds. Still, someone with an INT of 1 will end up a bit screwed when it comes to levelling up. Not as much as you'd probably think, though.

Oh, right. Here it is.

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6984

I don't think it's at all strange. Look at engineering. A vehicle like the MOWAG piranha is positively intended to be adapted, and that is one of its main selling points.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...
I have Fallout 3. I have played it thrice over. I now wonder if there are any mods or other upgrades to make it replayable.

Answer my question!

Get FOOK and never look back.

I agree, excellent mod for the most part.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Is it good that developers release tools so that the fan community can improve games?

Or is it bad that developers release games that require the user community to improve the game?

It's great they release the tools, but a shame that you have to depend on user content to enjoy the vanilla game.. but that's really the case for a lot of games I think - I can't play any of the Total War games or Mount and Blade without mods.. Still I think it's great that mods can extent the lifetime of games several years and I think it's extremely interesting that this trend is growing.

Also - The Settler is absolutely great - it does feels a little artificial at times, but it's fun to build a thriving village! I've already got a small community going with hunters looking for food and builders expanding the village..

Maybe it's a shame YOU can't enjoy the vanella game....lots of players do enjoy it. Not only do the tools extend the life of the game...Morrowinnd, until recently, still had shelf space in Wal Mart...the tools allow each player to customize the game for themselves. No game is going to be perfect for everyone.

Maybe it's a shame YOU can't enjoy the vanella game....lots of players do enjoy it. Not only do the tools extend the life of the game...Morrowinnd, until recently, still had shelf space in Wal Mart...the tools allow each player to customize the game for themselves. No game is going to be perfect for everyone.

While I won't disagree with you, since a great deal do enjoy the vanilla games, I know enough who generally stay away from playing many unaltered released games and only start playing them properly when mods are available - so I stand by that it's a shame mods are needed to enjoy some game to their fullest (for some/if not many)..

Fortune favors the bald.

Eventually FO3 will end up like Half Life...nothing more than a platform for mods, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

have you guys tried the J.E. Sawyer mod for FO3? it turns all regular dialogue off and every now and again an NPC comes up to you with a vague line about something random. as the PC you're left to figure out what the heck is going on yourself.

nah, i'm jus' kiddin', Sawyer. i wubs. o:)

It makes the game quit unexpectedly near the end of the story

I'm only using three mods. None of which make any changes to tthe gameplay.

1) a slower leveling mod: reduced XP for combat and a much greater increase in XP needed as you gain levels. I don't know how anyone can play FO3 withotu some sort of slow leveling mod.

2) a mod that chnages my character size based on STR and END. Characters with high STR and END values are bigger than everyone else and vice versa. I love it.

3) A mod that makes the pipboy slightly brighter and more powerful which allows me to actually see in some of the darker areas now.

I looked through a lot of mods and didn't find much that was worth installing. A lot of the combat mods are unneccessary if you play in RT. The combat is already hard enough.

...... You must have a strange sense of what gameplay is then.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Yeah, that brighter pipboy and cosmetic changes to my pcs size REALLY CHANGES THE GAMEPLAY!

Don't it.

Its a whole new FO3. Yep. It is.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Would be nice if the pipboy light was an actual flashlight. -.-

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Would be nice if the pipboy light was an actual flashlight. -.-

It would be fab. I looked for a flashlight mod but couldn't find one.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.