NHL

Watching the USA - Sweden game in the Junior World Championships right now. I hate when ANY championship is being played in North America. Four straight penalties for Sweden, even though the teams are doing the same things to each other on the ice (most penalties have been fair, just not fairly divided to both teams).

Also, the Swedish players were laughing before the game at the usual Canadian 'hospitality' when playing in their tournaments. Sweden is living in a barrack (!) with ONE toilet for all the players. This lonely toilet is situated about 20 meters OUTSIDE the barrack. They were given THREE showers for the entire team. The other showers have been nailed shut! Another thing these friendly Canadians did is that they've removed all televisions and other 'luxuries' that are usually there. The cables are still hanging from the walls.

Oh and there was a scrum in front of the USA goal right now. Sweden broke in and were swinging at the puck when the US players crosschecked them from behind, resulting in a huge pile in front of the net. ONE US player got 2+2.. and so did one Swedish player. I never knew you got 2+2 for getting crosschecked from behind.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh god. Now Sweden's captain checked a US player and hit him shoulder to head. No blood and the US player just stood up and skated to the bench by himself. What do the refs do? Five minute power play and the Swedish captain was thrown out of the game. ****ing fantastic.

The US team has not had a single penalty in the entire game (third period now)! Except for that double penalty and once when they shot the puck over the glass. The refs couldn't POSSIBLY ignore that.

Even the Canadian audience are starting to react to the bad refs now. That's good, at least.

Edit: ****!! Sweden had a player break through to a one-on-one with the goalie in 4-against-5, and a US player chopped him over the leg as he was going to shoot. That's usually a penalty shot, but no. At least the US got their FIRST penalty. In the third period. Geez.

Edited by mkreku

Ow. Sweden is currently winning 7-0 with 15 minutes to go in the second period. The TSN commentators are wondering why the Swiss coach hasn't swapped his goaltender.

Edit: Switzerland just scored! After spending the first half of their power play in their own end, the Swedes turned it over at their own blue line and the Swiss player right off the bench put a slap shot high glove side. Sounds like the crowd is cheering for Switzerland right now.

Edit 2: Swiss have closed the gap a little. It's now 9-4 for Sweden. Switzerland no longer has to worry about being on the wrong end of the worst medal round loss. Also Sweden just scored again to make it 10-4 on a shorthanded goal. It's kinda funny watching the entire arena boo the Swiss player that knocked our Defenceman out of the tournament, then get up and cheer like made for a Swiss goal. Final point: Wow! Almost a fight!

Edited by Deraldin

I know how you feel now mkreku! Two of the three penalties against Canada have been pretty damn weak. The charging call on Della Rovere was horrible. He missed the check and he coasted at least the last 10 feet. The slashing call on Pietrangelo was horrible. The puck wasn't frozen so he swung at the puck and got called for it.

The non-calls on the hits from behind against Canada have been pretty brutal as well. The one US penalty so far was a huge make up call for the missed hit from behind less than a minute earlier.

Edit: Very few calls overall though. Nice to seem them be able to play.

Edited by Deraldin

fantastic effort by Canada. this game is exciting!

Damn right! So far each team has come back from being a goal down and Canada just tied it up after being down by 2 with less than 4 minutes left. Did you see the US goaltender after that last goal?

awesome to see USA get the win. both starting goalies got pulled, right? Pretty strange.

Yeah, both goaltenders were pulled. The US tender was pulled early in the second period, right after the third goal. The Canadian tender was pulled in the third after the 5th goal. It was apparently the highest scoring gold medal game in tournament history.

Edited by Deraldin

"That's pretty standard in restaurants for parties over 8. Pushing out food for a party of 45 is much more difficult than pushing out food for a party of four. It requires more attention from the cooking and the wait staff. Also, I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US waiters are actually taxed on the tips, so there is some expectation there.

Have you ever worked in a restaurant Volo?"

\

Not only that, but I *am* working at one. I know exactly how restuarants work. That doesn't mean I approve. 'Expecations' are the key. It's garbage. Plain, and simple.

Knowing how something works doesn't mean you approve it or fin dit acceptable. Tipping should be just that tipping - A BONUS FOR GOOD WORK. NOTM ACTUAL SALARY. That's the restuarant owner's taking advantage of their employees and customers.

They can't force you to pay gratuity. They can add it to the bill automatically, but you can refuse to pay it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"They can't force you to pay gratuity. They can add it to the bill automatically, but you can refuse to pay it. "

You know as well as I do the point of putting it on the bill, though, is that the vast majority of people are gonna just accept it as the actual price no questions asked just to avoid a scene. That's why restuarants do it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just to get away from the waiter talk:

two members of the Devils will be wearing a letter for team USA at the Olympics this year. Jamie Langenbrunner was named Captain and Zach Parise an alternate. The other alternate is Chris Drury, who probably had a fair chance at being named captain as well.

Oh, and Patrik Elias will be the captain of the Czech team I think. 3 Devils (so far) wearing a letter at the games, no wonder they're having a good season.

Oh, that and they have Brodeur.

Drury is horrible at being captain. Captain Crap ism what I call him. Chris Clark as captain over Ovechklin was a travesty - which is probably why the Caps threw him in the trash so they could make a big show about who their next captain would be even though it was so so so obvious it be Ovechkin.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkG0fyvAeA0

Ok, THIS will be interesting!

I actually believe him. I saw the end of that game and the last two penalties were really weird. Weird enough for me to remember them. Let's hope the NHL follows up on this.

Drury is horrible at being captain. Captain Crap ism what I call him. Chris Clark as captain over Ovechklin was a travesty - which is probably why the Caps threw him in the trash so they could make a big show about who their next captain would be even though it was so so so obvious it be Ovechkin.

Nah, there have been plenty of teams with allstarz who give the C to veteran leaders. Parise is 1000 times better than Langenbrunner but is still wearing an A and not the C. Teams learn from giving it to young players (joe thornton being one of them, who, although is a great player - simply sucked at being a captain).