NHL

THey tried their best to lose the game tonight though hahah.

Up until the end of the second period it seemed like Edmonton was in control, and then there Montreal seized the initiative. SOme close posts by O'Sullivan and Hemsky that would have put the game on ice though.

Heatley averaged a plus 30 in three seasons with Ottawa, so he typically scores a lot more than he allows when his line is out. Last season was bad at a -11, but that isn't a trend.

I'm not saying he is a defensive stalwart, I'm just saying his line will still finish ahead of the curve on most nights. It's not like he's a third line guy, he knows his role is to put the puck in the net. Luckily Thornton is a pretty great defensive player as well, which as a center, is much more critical.

Heatley isn't a particularly good defensive player, but he outscores the competition, which is all that matters.

Like Jagr or (perhaps perfectly) Gretzky, they put up significant plus values not because they were defensive dynamos, but because they were so offensively powerful the other team didn't get many opportunities to score on them.

I've never been that much of a fan of Zak Stortini, but tonight he really brought it. I don't want to use the word 'lucky' on his first goal. Lets just say the penalty killers may have made a little lapse leaving him completely open instead.

But that second goal was pure guts and a fair bit of skill. Nice hustle, Huggy Bear!

That was also the first time in a few years I can remember the Oilers beating Nashville in their barn.

I'm liking Pat Quinn and his system so far. The players sure seem to be buying into it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Five losses and no wins so far. And Toskala keeps getting started. And the young guns are still in the AHL or something. And we still have almost exactly the same team as last year because our coach is afraid of change (except to add "muscle and grit", which is working oh so well for us). He's not interested in skill, they just have to be big, Canadian and prone to end up in the penalty box. But it's all good, with a little luck we'll get a Tavares or a Hedman this draft.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Five losses and no wins so far. And Toskala keeps getting started. And the young guns are still in the AHL or something. And we still have almost exactly the same team as last year because our coach is afraid of change (except to add "muscle and grit", which is working oh so well for us). He's not interested in skill, they just have to be big, Canadian and prone to end up in the penalty box. But it's all good, with a little luck we'll get a Tavares or a Hedman this draft.

Actually, we traded our first-round picks this year and next, and our second round pick this year for Phil Kessel. Bruins fans must be partying in the streets. If we do get a Tavares or a Hedman this year, he'll have to be of the 'hidden gem' type. i would think. Unless BB can swap someone for a second rounder. Stajan/Blake/Stempniak anyone? Please??

As you say, though, it's only six games. I remember last year the canucks went on an 8 or 9 game losing streak in december. people wanted the coach fired, and everyone traded, then they won several in a row and never looked back. Much as it pains me to say it, I won't say the Leafs are as good as the Canucks, but maybe we can do something similar and get back on track.

Who is the big dawg this year for the draft?

Taylor Hall.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I see today that now Marc Savard and Sergei Gonchar are going to be on the shelf for the next four to six weeks. I'm not sure if I can remember a season where so many bigger named players all went down for more than a week or two in October.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Holy comeback, Batman!!

Dustin Penner has turned a corner, or so it seems. Pat Quinn has brought out some wicked confidence in this player.

I'll admit last year he looked completely disinterested in his role. And maybe I wished he would have been traded.

But so far he's hands down been the teams MVP. And he's also ahead of Dany Heatley in points. And plus minus. ;)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Come on Ottawa! 3-1 with 88 seconds left and you end up losing in a shootout. :thumbsup: At least Montreal managed to come back and win their game 5-4 in OT. OT winner capped a hat trick for Cammalleri.

As much as I don't like the Leafs, a win or two here and there would be nice.

Edited by Deraldin