Swine Flu

Rosbjerg

I killed a man today. Poor guy didn't know I sneezed on his taco salad.

:devil:

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

You're just fishing for the latest XKCD, aren't you?

People are stupid, it's a fact, twitter is just helping to bring it out.

Several other people mentioned XKCD and I was "what's that?" :devil:

That cartoon is hysterical, I loved it, thanks.

And yeah...it's just combo of IRC and forum-posting. The crazy things on IRC in the old days ... ... ah, memories.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm concerned... lots of cases in Callifornia, and three of 'em are about 30 miles away... but I'm not in panic mode yet. What's happening in Mexico is horrific; 160 dead and 2000 hospitalized in "serious respiratory distress." For some reason, the flu hasn't been that virulent in the cases diagnosed in the US.

The global spread is disconcerting, but outside of Mexico there haven't been any life-threatening cases so far. The next week will tell the tale of how serious this could be globally. Then I'll happily panic. :devil:

Panic is for little girls. Is anyone really going to panic over this?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I'm concerned... lots of cases in Callifornia, and three of 'em are about 30 miles away... but I'm not in panic mode yet. What's happening in Mexico is horrific; 160 dead and 2000 hospitalized in "serious respiratory distress." For some reason, the flu hasn't been that virulent in the cases diagnosed in the US.

The global spread is disconcerting, but outside of Mexico there haven't been any life-threatening cases so far. The next week will tell the tale of how serious this could be globally. Then I'll happily panic. :(

What part of CA? last I heard it was down in SD not near Sac.

Anyway, I'm not that worried, I was probably inoculated by the military, and if I wasn't I've got the immune system from heaven.

But then if I ever get sick I'm the type who's locked into his room/bed for a week and unable to do jack diddly.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The global spread is disconcerting, but outside of Mexico there haven't been any life-threatening cases so far. The next week will tell the tale of how serious this could be globally. Then I'll happily panic. :(

What part of CA? last I heard it was down in SD not near Sac.

Anyway, I'm not that worried, I was probably inoculated by the military, and if I wasn't I've got the immune system from heaven.

But then if I ever get sick I'm the type who's locked into his room/bed for a week and unable to do jack diddly.

Latest mapping

Three confirmed cases in Sacramento. That's 30 miles from me. Still, 3 cases out of the hundreds of thousands in the Sac area is not enough to panic over. It is, however, enough to be concerned, especially since with my lung condition even a common cold would be fatal. As I've said, I'm not panicked yet. But I am watching the global spread with interest and concern.

The CDC in America has confirmed this flu has 4 different strains in it: avian flu, North American swine flu, Asian swine flu, human flu. Apparently that's extremely rare; it's the maximum number of strain combinations possible (because flu has 8 RNA strands, which is part of what makes it so viral - it mutates and accepts new RNA so easily).

Why do you people worry so much? Swine Flu is probably gonna kill less people than the annual flu season.

Have you even read the thread?

Notably, this flu will be PART of the flu season. For example, the Spanish flu was very mild when it first hit in summer, then come flu season in winter, it mutated and mixed with normal human flu and killed millions.

Malaria kills milions every year and no one gives a monkey's.

I accept this could turn out to be very bad. But there's very little to be done other than buy a pipe and set your jaw firmly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I accept this could turn out to be very bad. But there's very little to be done other than buy a pipe and set your jaw firmly.

You could move to a less populated region or a deserted island...

Well we aren't exactly back in the early 1900's where people were poor and didn't have modern medicine and nutrition. We have higher standards of living and immune systems that are probably a bit more capable. Obviously it's a very significant concern but the reason why it's been fatal in Mexico is pretty apparent...

I'd say we're relatively safe.

The biggest problem with that is that the virus is especially tough on young people, because of their good immune system. It causes cytokine storms, a negative feedback loop in the immune system, and in essence means that the better your immune system, the more likely you are to die (if you get the virus).

But yeah, if this thing gets loose then the poor countries will be hurt the most..

You mean positive feedback?

++

It doesn't hurt to be careful, but right now the outbreak isn't that bad and the pathophysiology of the virus has not really been thoroughly analyzed. On the other hand, SARS was scary because it was something that's significantly different to other prominent types of viral pathogens.

If you want a seat on the train all you gotta do is cough really hard, you will have the whole car to yourself.

If you cough hard enough, that's always true.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Or your toenails.

-Elwood Blues

If you want a seat on the train all you gotta do is cough really hard, you will have the whole car to yourself.

If you cough hard enough, that's always true.

I once got off a hard to get bus ride because a woman was coughing her brains out right next to me. Like explosive non-stop coughing. It wasn't so much that I was afraid of getting sick, it was just maddeningly annoying.

The bus was jammed, too. And hot. I don't think anyone was happy.

Take your cough medicine before you get on a hot, crowded bus, plz.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This.

Take your cough medicine before you get on a hot, crowded bus, plz.

And please don't offer to shake hands with other people when you're sick and holding germ-ridden tissues in the other hand. Otherwise I might have to offend you by refusing. Thanks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought the consensus was now that shaking hands was teh way most bugs move about? I think we should wear gloves.

-Elwood Blues

I thought the consensus was now that shaking hands was teh way most bugs move about? I think we should wear gloves.

Correct, which is why covering your mouth when you cough is exactly the opposite of what you should do if you want to minimise transmission.

What better way to spread a bug than to spray it all over the hands you use to touch everything and everyone with?

You don't cover your mouth with your hand, silly. You cough into the crook of your arm or your shoulder. At least that's what I do. :)

Yes, that's what my friend told me is the new convention. It certainly makes more sense than coughing on your hand, which so many people do (here at least).