Thoughts about Game awards

Calax

So I just watched the Game Developers Choice Awards and got to thinking. Why does Spike and other "mainstream" media groups run their own awards shows when the GDC is already set up, and has more credability to it because the devs themselves are choosing the awards, rather than arbitrary decisions based on sales figures.

Anyway, Would you guys watch the GDC awards if they were on tv like the academy awards? I probably would (they look better than anything spike ever did).

Also at GDC, my worship of Hideo Kojima went up when he had a little skit where he caught two guys running around as Raiden and Solid Snake, then joined them. Then he got the lifetime achievement award.

And Tim Schafer only got 6 jokes apparently (instead of the 22 in his game... yes he actually did mention it if you looked).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Anyway, Would you guys watch the GDC awards if they were on tv like the academy awards?

No.

But I've never watched an awards show of any sort in my life nor will I ever. I don't get why anyone would care who wins what anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I don't get why anyone would care who wins what anyway.

Marketing ;)

Never underestimate the power of adding tonnes of meaningless "accolades" to your ads.

Gorthman 3D (2009)

• GotY 2009 - Nervous Gamers Therapy GRoup
  • Top Pick - Adventurous Investors Online
  • Most promising Game 2009 - freecell-addicts.com
  • Most promising non-working game engine 2009 - Pwned! Magazine
  • Etc...

People don't really read that stuff, but you know if you can't dazzle people with brilliance you can dazzle them with BS :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am ashamed to say that i wasn't even aware of something like the GDC-awards.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Anyway, Would you guys watch the GDC awards if they were on tv like the academy awards?

No.

But I've never watched an awards show of any sort in my life nor will I ever. I don't get why anyone would care who wins what anyway.

This. The shows are no longer about the awards it's just a media circus.

Id watch it if there was a minimum of boring dev guys stuttering out acceptance speeches and lots of in-between entertainment. Who got what award would be completely uninteresting since it would be either decided by sales, by who had the highest advertising budget or just the complete cointoss of a jury voting.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Lots of people have a real passion for making lists and giving out awards. I think it would be a lot more entertaining and respectable if there was a single authoritative annual awards scheme that:

a) Actually had a clear and transparent methodology for deciding recipients and ranks. Currently, this does not happen because the combination of a still-remaining 'cool/fun/new-age' work culture and mostly misguided and thick-headed scholarship on the subject (of games) results in an inability to treat games seriously (or to know how to look at them seriously). Breaking it down, if only any awards we have now avoided the logically bankrupt pitfalls of "because it's new (or old)", "because it's so fun (or not)", "because it's a sequel (or not)", "because it's hard (or not)".

b) Organised a widely respected panel mix of developers, critics, journalists and scholars/commentators. Even within the circle of developers there are names that other developers really respect.

c) Actually was entertaining. A lot of vidgame journos out there seem to think that just because they're talking about games they have to look like dorks from the eighties, drool like fanboys, blabber like high school amateurs and gush like middle school girls. (I'm looking at you, Adam Sessler.) Some real descriptions of games and the industry, commentators that aren't afraid to make jibes at games and devs would be nice.

I dream of pipes at night.

Why does Spike and other "mainstream" media groups run their own awards shows when the GDC is already set up, and has more credability to it because the devs themselves are choosing the awards, rather than arbitrary decisions based on sales figures.

You forgot the question mark.

Because award shows and 'the best of' lists generate more viewers/internet traffic.

Anyway, Would you guys watch the GDC awards if they were on tv like the academy awards? I probably would (they look better than anything spike ever did).

I don't have a T.V., so no.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The cynic in me says that media-company-run award shows are a useful way for the media companies to kiss the asses of potential advertisers. (Or worse, to reward those advertisers who bought lots of time on their network.)

The cynic in me says that media-company-run award shows are a useful way for the media companies to kiss the asses of potential advertisers. (Or worse, to reward those advertisers who bought lots of time on their network.)

Which is why I'm thinking that an awards ceremony similar to the Academy Awards would work for the games industry. Right now there is little... attention paid to the shows that are on because they're more a media circus than actual awards. If they had the Game Developers Choice awards on tv it'd probably have better value because fans would put more stock in the devs choosing amongst their peers rather than a corporation choosing what'll net them the most profit.

I am not sure that the Academy Awards really has the same prestige as it might have had once. Maybe it is still well regarded amongst the peers in the industry? :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am not sure that the Academy Awards really has the same prestige as it might have had once. Maybe it is still well regarded amongst the peers in the industry? :ermm:

my point is that at least at one point there was prestige attached to it. Games haven't had any rewards with Prestige.

Because award shows and 'the best of' lists generate more viewers/internet traffic.

Yes, and awards also generate more coverage in the 'mainstream press' - I read about the BAFTA video game awards in the Daily Telegraph - and so reaches people who don't normally seek out gaming news. This is important if gaming is to continue its move out of the margins, so that it's normal to know something about games even if you're not an avid gamer yourself.

I would watch awards shows on TV if they were available, or at least I would record them and fastforward through all the stuff about action shooters until I got to a game or developer that I had at least heard of (probably Bioware).

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Yes, and awards also generate more coverage in the 'mainstream press' - I read about the BAFTA video game awards in the Daily Telegraph - and so reaches people who don't normally seek out gaming news. This is important if gaming is to continue its move out of the margins, so that it's normal to know something about games even if you're not an avid gamer yourself.

I would watch awards shows on TV if they were available, or at least I would record them and fastforward through all the stuff about action shooters until I got to a game or developer that I had at least heard of (probably Bioware).

in a side note Game Developers chose Fallout three as their GOTY.