Sci-Fi Channel changes name to SyFy

Meshugger

it is not a rebranding and doesn't look as grammatically messed up.

A year down the road and no one will even remember or care that it was ever anything but Syfy. Just like no one thinks Wii = Urine anymore.

Wii=wholesome fun games the entire family, even gramma can enjoy.

Just because it will be accepted and forgotten doesn't make it any less stupid.

That's probably true. But really, the scifi channel has almost no sci fi programming left. ANd with BSG ending soon, there's not much to recommend from a science ficition perspective.

Scifis most popular shows are ECW and Ghost Hunters, with Ghost Hunters International doing well, and Destination: Truth has a third season in production, and a third Ghost HUnter's spin-off is currently in production with Pilgrim. So reality shows and wrestling. My guess is they are really going to move away from the concept of being a scifi channel once they make the name change.

Which makes sense to me. So they might as well change the name anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is why they are doing it. Unusual spellings can be trademarked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/business...adcol.html?_r=2

One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

"Wii is fantastic. If you don't enjoy it, you probably just don't know what fun is."

yeah, my bad. FO and all Obsidian games aren't fun. And, as you know, NHL 09 is so far removed from fun it's not even funny. :x

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sounds a bit like a sexually transmitted didease to me

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sounds a bit like a sexually transmitted didease to me

The girlfriend in the household actually said the same thing.

She also thinks that the folks at the Sci-Fi are being silly, and their focus groups are retarded. She's got a Master's of Science degree in Economics. Her main subject was Marketing, but what would she know about anything conserning the branding of the cutting-edge and cool.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's like marmite changing its recipe to attract people who don't like marmite.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Next, they'll be calling burgers, bouergu

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dumbest name change idea ever.

And I don't know ... if I was txting and wanted to shorten it, I'd go SiFi, not SyFy. Fi already has only two letters in it, why the heck would I want replace i with a y?

"Too cute" for me. Ugh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts