Recommend me some DS games!

Morgoth

It sounds like Jagged Alliance for the DS is definitely coming this year. The Bears Pit has been in contact with someone at Empire studio about the game. No details, but hopefully we'll hear more soon.

But it will only be 3/4 as fun without 1.13 mod ;)

And you can't really mod a DS game...

It sounds like Jagged Alliance for the DS is definitely coming this year. The Bears Pit has been in contact with someone at Empire studio about the game. No details, but hopefully we'll hear more soon.

This is the original JA, not JA2. It's a pretty different game, but it was very fun in its own right. The MERC personalities were in place, as well as the need for different skill sets like lockpicking and explosives. The combat engine isn't as complex as JA2, but it can hold its own. It should translate fantastically to the small screen if the developer doesn't mess up.

The storyline is that you are on an island with some special trees that have some medical use. Some doctors have hired you to take over the island from some greedy villain. As you capture territories, you gain revenue from the trees.

This is the original JA, not JA2. It's a pretty different game, but it was very fun in its own right. The MERC personalities were in place, as well as the need for different skill sets like lockpicking and explosives. The combat engine isn't as complex as JA2, but it can hold its own. It should translate fantastically to the small screen if the developer doesn't mess up.

The storyline is that you are on an island with some special trees that have some medical use. Some doctors have hired you to take over the island from some greedy villain. As you capture territories, you gain revenue from the trees.

Hmm, I'd prefer X-COM, but I'll try JA as well. The tree-stuff sounds straight out of sci-fi...

I found the Phoenix Wright games enjoyable.

Much wisdom in this one.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just the artwork. The gameplay is incredibly fun, adding new elements to classic Castlevania gameplay.

(Which one are we talking about here? I'm specifically mentioning Portrait of Ruin).

Dawn of Sorrow. And I don't like it at all.

I also played a bit Star Wars Clone Wars which is okay-ish, but I think I'm gonna sell that one. The game I'm having must fun currently is Worms Open Warfare 2.

How are the Final Fantasy games on the DS? I mean I know they look stupid and childish, but is the gameplay any good?

Just the artwork. The gameplay is incredibly fun, adding new elements to classic Castlevania gameplay.

(Which one are we talking about here? I'm specifically mentioning Portrait of Ruin).

Dawn of Sorrow. And I don't like it at all.

I also played a bit Star Wars Clone Wars which is okay-ish, but I think I'm gonna sell that one. The game I'm having must fun currently is Worms Open Warfare 2.

How are the Final Fantasy games on the DS? I mean I know they look stupid and childish, but is the gameplay any good?

You managed to pick the worst of the Castlevanias, but even Dawn of Sorrow is pretty decent IMO.

Final Fantasy games are good if you like JRPGs, have a bunch of time(commuting etc.) and are willing to grind every now and then.

Final Fantasy games are good if you like JRPGs, have a bunch of time(commuting etc.) and are willing to grind every now and then.

Yeah, about the FF games. There're plenty available for the DS, but which one would you recommend for a dude whose only experience with JRPGs has been The Last Remnant demo (and I even liked that one)?

According to Metacritics, FF IV and FF Tactics A2 are the best, with Tactics offering a truly deep TB combat system. How's combat in FF4 compared to Tactics?

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying my DS. I got stuck in Metroid because I can't manage to beat a boss while doing weird things with my left hand (in other words: D-pad + stylus + left trigger at the same time seems to be impossible for me to manage).

Worms is really cool, even though difficulty changes quickly from easy too "what how do I do this?" level each mission.

I'm also waiting for Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Resident Evil and Ninja Gaiden to arrive. Good times should be ahead.

Llyranor seems to think FFIV would be best to start with.

I've played FFIII and it is a decent RPG dungeoncrawler with the exception that it lacks a save everywhere feature.

You could start with the GBA FF1+FF2 but those are really ridiculously old and not worth it for most people. Also really hard to find.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Yeah, about the FF games. There're plenty available for the DS, but which one would you recommend for a dude whose only experience with JRPGs has been The Last Remnant demo (and I even liked that one)?

According to Metacritics, FF IV and FF Tactics A2 are the best, with Tactics offering a truly deep TB combat system. How's combat in FF4 compared to Tactics?

FFIV is has a better story and is generally more awesome than FFIII. FFTA2 is not a JRPG, it's a Turn-Based Strategy RPG and the RPG stuff is really complicated in a not fun way. I wouldn't start with that. FFIV isn't overly complicated and even has FMV and voiceacting. I'd still recommend Chrono Trigger and there are some other JRPGs like Dragon Quest V that are supposedly good.

If you want to get a taste of Strategy RPGs, look out for Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis for GBA, it is compatible with the DSL and one of the best SRPGs IMO.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying my DS. I got stuck in Metroid because I can't manage to beat a boss while doing weird things with my left hand (in other words: D-pad + stylus + left trigger at the same time seems to be impossible for me to manage).

That's what you get with DS FPSs, they work ok, but the controls just aren't comfortable or intuitive.

Edited by Purkake

Metroid Claw isn't just a term to say that Metroid Prime Hunters is cool D:

If you want to get into FF:

- FF4 if you want a more traditional JRPG. Standard 'active time battle' system.

- FFTA2 for a SRPG. So, 'deeper' turn-based system, with movement and positioning playing bigger roles, and a job system that allows you to really customize your party members. I'm not sure how much you'd dig the 'kiddy' story, though.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

- FFTA2 for a SRPG. So, 'deeper' turn-based system, with movement and positioning playing bigger roles, and a job system that allows you to really customize your party members. I'm not sure how much you'd dig the 'kiddy' story, though.

Don't forget the "mission" system. The game is pretty much a map with waypoints that are battles and cities where you get missions and new weapons.

Don't forget the "mission" system. The game is pretty much a map with waypoints that are battles and cities where you get missions and new weapons.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as combat is challenging and fun. I mean, I prefer better gameplay over some kiddy story anyway.

Not sure if I can stomach the wierd look of FF4.

Is combat in FF4 any good?

And how's FFXII Revenant Wing?

I'm prolly will get none of those and get The Last Remnant for PC instead.

Edited by Morgoth

Nothing wrong with that, as long as combat is challenging and fun. I mean, I prefer better gameplay over some kiddy story anyway.

Not sure if I can stomach the wierd look of FF4.

Is combat in FF4 any good?

And how's FFXII Revenant Wing?

I'm prolly will get none of those and get The Last Remnant for PC instead.

I was just saying that FFTA2 is all about the strategy and equipping your dudes, not so much about the RPG business. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just thought you should know.

If you think FF4 looks weird, don't look at FF3, that really does look "kiddie".

FFXII Revenant Wing is supposed to be an RTS on the DS, I haven't tried it, but real-time and stylus don't sound like a great combination.

I haven't tried Last Remnant, but most of the stuff I have heard is pretty mixed. I don't know how good the PC port is, but JRPGs and the PC haven't mixed too well in the past.

Guest PoziomyPion
I'm just putting this here to scare Morgoth:

s28570_nds_87.jpg

I find it creepy playing jRPGs, I mean 20-40 year old characters who look like little children. It's like those games are made for 492a5ddb4d1c989d3003c58b890613bc.gif

Whatever turns you on mr. Poland we're not here to judge you.

Didn't Last Remnant get uniformly below average reviews? Is it supposed to be good?

It's around the 65-75% mark. Square Enix touted it as the great blend of western and eastern RPG design. I haven't really heard anything about it.

I downloaded the demo. It looked fantastic, but the combat was so confusing I just couldn't bother with it. Although I might have to add that I can't stand strategy games either.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest PoziomyPion
Whatever turns you on mr. Poland we're not here to judge you.

Well I actually enjoyed Breath of Fire 3, but the art style is killing me.

There is one rpg on DS I'd like to see on PSP(I have only SONY's handheld) , its called DARK SPIRE.

http://www.atlus.com/darkspire/

Check the screenshot gallery, good western dungeon crawler with nice graphics.